German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it is FINALLY snowing!!!! For once the weather reports have been correct!!! though a day or two late but it is FINALLY snowing in Jacksonville NC. I went for a walk earlier in it and took Shasta with me. She spent the entire walk forgetting how to walk nicely on the leash because she was too busy running her tongue along the sidewalk picking up all the water she could despite my best efforts to get her focus back. Its okay. I forgive her. Its her first snow.

Sad thing is this will probably be the only snowfall we get this winter and its only supposed to be between 2 and 4 inches. I DO get to drive in it though so i'm excited about that.... thats if work doesnt call me and say they closed. This place tends to shut down with even the slightest sign of a snowflake. Its really pathetic actually. I have some pictures from earlier that i will upload but right now i'm waiting on the video to load to youtube so i can share it! Shasta got soaked. She's now in her crate drying off. She's not happy about it but no soggy doggy running around the house for me thank you!

I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the pictures. My camera seems to be slowing down on me. I'll have to pull out the video camera and take some stills on that one later when the snow has fallen a little heavier. Can tell you one thing! With the fuel sending unit in my car currently broken, i'm mugging whats left of our savings account to load the tank as much as i can before work so i can avoid being stuck on the side of the road waiting for rescue. We've only got my truck now as we sold the mustang so i'll be adding one of my sleeping bags to the back just in case i have to wait for someone to come bring some gas. Savings account mugging..... here i come! Anyway back on topic. Here is the video as promised. I'll have to wait until later to load the pictures.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
That's a great video! It looks like they are having so much fun! They will have a blast when the snow gets deeper. Good luck with your car. Don't even think of the mustang that you sold. They are completely useless in the snow anyways.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Great video! Thanks for sharing it. SNOW PUPPIES!!!!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Enjoyed the video, thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I logged in just to see if you got snow, I knew how badly you wanted some! Hope you gets tons and tons. We've got our fans outside pointing towards the south so maybe you can have some of the inches we're supposed to get!!!;)

Enjoy it!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Your video looks exactly like the one I posted, only if my pups were about a year older. Your dogs are having a blast!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a great video! It looks like they are having so much fun! They will have a blast when the snow gets deeper. Good luck with your car. Don't even think of the mustang that you sold. They are completely useless in the snow anyways.

yeah thats why we sold it. We're supposed to get stationed in maryland middle of 2011 or thereabouts and the mustang would have been sitting for half the year. Doesnt stop me from missing it though! That was a fun car on good roads!!!! lol. I just keep telling my husband that having one car for us is asking for trouble and it is. Every single time we're down to one car, something ALWAYS happens.

Gonna try and get a video of them tonight since there's more snow on the ground.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I logged in just to see if you got snow, I knew how badly you wanted some! Hope you gets tons and tons. We've got our fans outside pointing towards the south so maybe you can have some of the inches we're supposed to get!!!;)

Enjoy it!!!

lol yeah. I was awake all night last night, got a text from one of my friends that it was snowing by her and within an hour it had started snowing on us. I was so excited!!!! I went for a walk with Shasta who pretty much ran with her tongue on the ground the whole time. Wish i'd gotten a video of that! it was just too funny and then i let them out to potty a little while later and they had fun. I was so excited i woke my husband up dancing on the bed that it was snowing. Totally like a little kid today! and best part.... because they freak out with just a hint of snow, everything closes so no work tonight!!!! gonna go for a walk while the world is still glittery and pretty!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heres the pictures from this morning! Shasta is blurred but i guess she's just that fast lol....

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i wasnt able to get a video tonight of the dogs out in the yard with more snow because NOBODY has a back porch light but i was able to take my camera out and take some stills using the flash. Also found out that Shelby.... doesnt care for snow or cold. She really is an odd ball german shepherd.

Shelby prancing to be let back inside...

Shasta at the bottom of the stairs after we came back inside because my fingers were numb...

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
one tired puppers....

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So sadly the snow is melting and mostly gone from our backyard. its now a mud hole which they dont like too much which is fine by me. Shasta thoroughly enjoyed playing in the snow last night. Unfortunately i got a cold from playing out there with her. Hoping for more snow but at least there should be snow when we go back to Colorado next month that she can play in while we're visiting. Hope everyone enjoyed the pictures! Did the best i could with what i have! Looking into buying a camera that gets better action shots.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Kzoppa,

I was stationed at Lejeune for a few years myself. I miss that place (the woods). Our first year there, in '89, it snowed so much that it completely buried our Dodge Charger. The base shut down for 3 days. Wow, that seems like a lifetime ago when I think about it. Your pups looked like they were having a blast. Bet they'll sleep well tonight.:)

Semper Fi

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kzoppa,

I was stationed at Lejeune for a few years myself. I miss that place (the woods). Our first year there, in '89, it snowed so much that it completely buried our Dodge Charger. The base shut down for 3 days. Wow, that seems like a lifetime ago when I think about it. Your pups looked like they were having a blast. Bet they'll sleep well tonight.:)

Semper Fi

that must be the famous snow storm we kept hearing about out first year out here. We're anxious to leave. We've heard all kinds of things about Lejeune like how it used to be nice and a good place but now its full of people who have no idea how to drive, who are rude without the capacity to be nice and its just... well ugly. But growing up in Colorado, i guess yeah it would be ugly compared to home. I dunno. We're not fond of it here. Hubby is a corpsman and boy does he enjoy doing coverages for HSTs! We're headed to maryland in the next 6 months or so. We're excited. I'll bet its changed a lot since you were last here. Its changing a lot now while we're here. They're changing the main gate and adding lanes to the main strip road and just a bunch of stuff. Jville is probably a lot bigger from then and now too. I was only 3 in 89' lol so i wouldnt know. And yes.... the dogs crashed hard last night and are still recovering tonight. Shasta was whiped out!

·
Registered
800 Posts
that must be the famous snow storm we kept hearing about out first year out here. We're anxious to leave. We've heard all kinds of things about Lejeune like how it used to be nice and a good place but now its full of people who have no idea how to drive, who are rude without the capacity to be nice and its just... well ugly. But growing up in Colorado, i guess yeah it would be ugly compared to home. I dunno. We're not fond of it here. Hubby is a corpsman and boy does he enjoy doing coverages for HSTs! We're headed to maryland in the next 6 months or so. We're excited. I'll bet its changed a lot since you were last here. Its changing a lot now while we're here. They're changing the main gate and adding lanes to the main strip road and just a bunch of stuff. Jville is probably a lot bigger from then and now too. I was only 3 in 89' lol so i wouldnt know. And yes.... the dogs crashed hard last night and are still recovering tonight. Shasta was whiped out!

Wow, you just made me feel old! LOL. I bet it has changed alot since back in the day. Back then, Walmart was on the very edge of town (wood line). And people weren't very friendly then either. I never had to worry too much about main gate traffic, cuz I lived in Hubert and drove through the side gate. Still have friends there that live in Sneads Ferry. Man, this thread is bringing back some memories, I like it.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, you just made me feel old! LOL. I bet it has changed alot since back in the day. Back then, Walmart was on the very edge of town (wood line). And people weren't very friendly then either. I never had to worry too much about main gate traffic, cuz I lived in Hubert and drove through the side gate. Still have friends there that live in Sneads Ferry. Man, this thread is bringing back some memories, I like it.

LOL! Wow! there is A LOT more past the "old" walmart now. They had JUST gotten the 2nd walmart built when we were coming into town very end of 2007. So there are two walmarts, a sam's club, a target, bunch of other places. Glad to know peoples personalities havent changed out here. Traffic is awful in the morning, lunch rush and afternoon. Some of it makes sense but other parts of it dont. I'm just getting this mental image of how it was back then and then how it is now and my mind is just blown. I thought it was small now! its was WAY small then. Holy cow! But i still think its small. I grew up in Colorado Springs which is good sized and then we came out here and couldnt fathom just two walmarts. lol.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ah i'm sorry Kris! i would have thought with the state freaking out that everyone got some snow! Maybe next time. I've been eyeing the weather channel and weather.com every day in hopes we'll get more. I wish it had stuck around longer! a day just wasnt enough! But you guys got to have fun in the snow when you went to the mountains right? So jealous of that BTW!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Yes we did get snow on the last day there- I am glad we at least had a couple of hours to play in it!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
see that works! you got to enjoy it before i did!!!! supposedly we can expect another storm in the next week but i'll believe it when it happens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts