German Shepherds Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
You poor thing. You have certainly been through an awful lot. Yes! That fence is going to be wonderful. Praying for your boy. Please keep us posted.

Hugs!

·
Banned
850 Posts
I know my dogs well and I don't trust the 2 male GSDs ever around smaller dogs. They play rougher and I've seen it escalate pretty easily. I have a beagle right now that they won't ever have contact with, no matter how much they wag their tails and try to play with him. They are way to big for him and his movement is like prey for them. The female GSD has a high prey drive but she has always liked small dogs and she is fine with the beagle, but I still stand over them and supervise.
Hi, I have been housing my brother's GSD recently. I use him as a deterrent because we had a break in attempt recently. Well I notice on walks, he goes wild for little dogs. I consider myself experienced but I'm in a bit of a pickle. He notices bigger dogs but doesnt really act aggressive at them. He notices cats but doesnt go after them. He goes after squirrels and if he sees a small dog he **** near looks like he wants to kill them, barking, lunging. I usually socialize my pups with other dogs from an early age but it's impossible to find people to let me socialize an 85 lb GSD with their little yorkie. It's weird because he's on his best behavior at the vet's office (they all usually are).
I'm thinking if I should just work on desensitizing him with a toy, clicker, and treats but he just goes wild at the sight of a small dog. My brother told me that when he was a pup he used to get barked at a lot by smaller dogs for some reason and he might be traumatized by that and there might be no fixing this, wondering what you would do in this situation.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I'd work on just having him ignore them. work on leave it and an "enough" command to be quiet. Focus on keeping his attention on you. Socializing to little dogs doesn't mean that he has to greet them. It just means that he has to learn how to behave around them and that there is no reason to go crazy.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I'm so happy you are putting a fence up. Your neighbor is just being a bully and will get over it part of the drama of having neighbors. I hope your dog's health is going to be okay keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I hope the troublesome neighbour and your dogs sudden health issue are not related. Peeing blood? That is scary

I too have had my share of A-hole neighbours. When I lived in an apartment I had this douche who would antagonize G as he passed my door. He would rattle his keys or bags. If he walked their dogs he would allow them to stop at my door and sniff at the threshold...This would send G over the top. His daughter and wife used to come over. He hated this and would call 20x to harass her. Once the daughter was leaving her apt as I was coming in from walk. G barked at her for attention to which she obliged. He called AC citing my dog "menaced" his daughter. They came out, interviewed my other neighbours and building manager. G got props from everyone! as AC was leaving, I happened to be coming up drive with G...Muzzled as he always was once we came on the property (and in elevator), and as told to AC by all....She turned her attention to the neighbour who's dog's were not licensed....He threatened her, threatened the woman he complained to over the phone....Told her he was going to go down there and kill them all. Told my super he was going to put a bullet in my dogs head and told me too that he was going to kill him. They lived 1 door down and across.
Needless to say, if he wasn't afraid of AC or uttering death threats, then he was dangerous.
I rolled paper towels and duct taped them around the perimeter of my door and installed a door sweep on the exterior with foam tape to fill any gaps that he may have been able to inject anti freeze or something.
I lived in a perpetual state of anxiety.

·
Registered
564 Posts
We moved into one of those "no fences" neighbourhoods six years ago (not because of any bylaws, just nobody had one). The previous owner had a dog who was never allowed on the lawn, because of "pee stains". We bought the house because of the huge yard and we wanted Suki to be able to use it.

First thing we did when we got the keys was have a six foot chain link fence put in, with nice wrought iron gates on either side. We didn't ask the neighbours and paid for it ourselves. Now, quite a few other yards have fences. You never know, your fence may just be the start of a whole new trend :)

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
We moved into one of those "no fences" neighbourhoods six years ago (not because of any bylaws, just nobody had one). The previous owner had a dog who was never allowed on the lawn, because of "pee stains". We bought the house because of the huge yard and we wanted Suki to be able to use it.

First thing we did when we got the keys was have a six foot chain link fence put in, with nice wrought iron gates on either side. We didn't ask the neighbours and paid for it ourselves. Now, quite a few other yards have fences. You never know, your fence may just be the start of a whole new trend :)

When we moved to MI we rented in a neighborhood like this. No one had fences. It was a three dog limit. The owner was after us to buy the house and it was a HUGE property. The next door neighbor was so friendly, had a son the same age as ours and they played across the two properties all the time. Since it wasn't fenced I walked my collie and used expens out the basement door, which you had to be on top of to see from the way the layout of the house was. One morning I have the dog warden show up. I had one too many dogs. Since the fourth one was just a puppy I didn't get fined. Turned out the 'friendly' neighbor called them as he didn't want any of my dogs going potty on our back lawn as he didn't want his son to lose any playing ground for football and long throws.

We moved and bought a house out in the country AFTER I talked to the three neighbors I'd have. One was a retired Elkhound show breeder, the second's brother raised and showed GSDs and the third was an elderly couple who loved dogs and only asked that I bring mine over to visit them often. It was a wonderful three and a half years there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Hi, I have been housing my brother's GSD recently. I use him as a deterrent because we had a break in attempt recently. Well I notice on walks, he goes wild for little dogs. I consider myself experienced but I'm in a bit of a pickle. He notices bigger dogs but doesnt really act aggressive at them. He notices cats but doesnt go after them. He goes after squirrels and if he sees a small dog he **** near looks like he wants to kill them, barking, lunging. I usually socialize my pups with other dogs from an early age but it's impossible to find people to let me socialize an 85 lb GSD with their little yorkie. It's weird because he's on his best behavior at the vet's office (they all usually are).
I'm thinking if I should just work on desensitizing him with a toy, clicker, and treats but he just goes wild at the sight of a small dog. My brother told me that when he was a pup he used to get barked at a lot by smaller dogs for some reason and he might be traumatized by that and there might be no fixing this, wondering what you would do in this situation.
Honestly after all we went through a muzzle is safest. It will protect little furries but also you and your boy. Hunter is a great dog with people and most other dogs but has super high prey drive and lesson was learned the hard way. We always keep him on leash in public and he's obedient but man the sight of a cat or rabbit or the wrong small dog and then look out! He doesn't care for the muzzle but is getting used to it and it's way better than the alternative of either giving him away or worse. I've tried distraction but he's a big uneutered male and that's how he's wired.

·
Banned
850 Posts
Honestly after all we went through a muzzle is safest. It will protect little furries but also you and your boy. Hunter is a great dog with people and most other dogs but has super high prey drive and lesson was learned the hard way. We always keep him on leash in public and he's obedient but man the sight of a cat or rabbit or the wrong small dog and then look out! He doesn't care for the muzzle but is getting used to it and it's way better than the alternative of either giving him away or worse. I've tried distraction but he's a big uneutered male and that's how he's wired.
It's not really the biting I am afraid of, if he does get close to a dog, he doesn't bite or snap ever. He just has this reaction to small dogs that sends him into a frenzy, he looks like a rabid dog barking and lunging. The people walking their dogs run for their lives, I don't blame them. I want to stop this behavior. I'm probably over-thinking this, I know I need a prong collar. I just wanted to try a different method this time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
That might work but unfortunately where we live, even lunging and barking can lead to an attack complaint. I've learned more about our laws than I ever wanted and also how much they don't favour the dog owner. A prong collar might work; we used one for a very short time but it was only for very gentle reminders. Generally he's great on leash (like 99.99%of time). Unfortunately the .001% is not good. Sorry I can't be more helpful but sounds like we have different issues.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
As a follow up, x-rays came back relatively good. The issue is pretty much confirmed as prostate disease. We will have to get him neutered but he should be fine. Much less blood today as anti-biotics are kicking in but vet says it's only a matter of time before it recurs and the prostate is already squishing his colon a bit so constipation problems are inevitable. At least we know it's not life threatening which is a huge relief. And fence posts are going in as I am typing :).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Hi everyone. Surgery was a week ago and everything seems to be healing up well. Poor baby had to keep relatively quiet for a week so couldn't understand why we wouldn't play with him. Fence is almost done - just one gate missing a latch but tomorrow at long last will be DONE. We have a nice, safe yard for him. Just one more hurdle at court this week and hopefully we can all move on
with our lives. Thanks so much for everything - support, suggestions and smacks upside the head when I deserved them :)

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Thank you for checking in. Praying all goes well with that last court hurdle. Then you can relax and enjoy your boy in your nice fenced yard. So glad the surgery went well.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts