German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,951 Posts
Don't feel bad my GSD is my dog all the way until my son comes home from school- he is her baby and my lab is the same with my daughter. Both of my dogs listen to me and are beyond affectionate with me, but there is something about kids that most dogs read into. Kids are more vulnerable than us and I think dogs feel their immaturity kinda like they do with puppies. Apache will always be YOUR dog, but you should focus on developing a relationship with your niece and broaden your own attachment beyond Apache. The three of you can have an amazing relationship where the love and attention is shared. I get the jealousy though, but turn it into a positive instead:)

· Registered
2,951 Posts
Oh yes with a teenage girl build that bond or all the disciplinary stuff will be regarded as judgment, hatred, and lack of love:) I took in my own teenage sister when she was 15 and building the bond and trust is what made her easy to discipline. She needs to feel accepted, welcome, and a part of your family. Teenagers generally act out because no one accepts them, trusts them, respects them, or gives them an outlet to be open and themselves. Do lunch, manicures,go shopping, tolerate her music, and try to understand her hobbies and the things that interest her. Encourage what is positive and talk to her like you would a girlfriend of yours. If she thinks you won't flip when she opens up she'll be more likely to do so and take your advice and guidance willingly. Apache is already doing it, but she'll need it from you as well:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.