German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just got back from our camping trip at the Grand Canyon, we had a great time and Ollie did really well! Though the poor guy did get an allergic conjunctivitis in one of his eyes... I was itching and sneezing like crazy so guess he was having an allergic reaction to something too. He's on medication now and hopefully it clears up soon.

Sharing some of my favorite pictures and since this isn't a vacation forum I won't flood you too much with non-doggy pics. Hope you enjoy!

Our campsite

IMG_8838_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_8837_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_8839_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_8884_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_8836_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

At the canyon

IMG_8834_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_8818_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_8805_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

DSCN0840 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

We also went to a dog friendly 'drive through' zoo called Bearizona, it was awesome! Ollie was most interested in the wolves of course.

The wolves were not shy of the cars

IMG_8854_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_8853_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_8845 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_8844_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_8859_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_8862_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Black bear cubs!! :wub:

IMG_8879 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_8878 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Awesome pictures! Ive never been out to that part of the country. Ollie looks incredible as well. his fur and coloring is amazing

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Thank you for sharing, great pictures..and your dog is beautiful...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
We'd have to watch Scarlett out there. People would think she was an escaped wolf! How did Ollie respond to the wolf? When we were in Colorado, Paige was totally freaked out by the wolfX that approached our "pack". Scarlett has been nose-to-nose with a couple of wolf-hybrids and showed them no mind. We really want to spend a season in Yellowstone with our dogs ('cause you know we'll have two or three by then) and I wonder how they respond to wolves near the "pack".

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Those are very awesome pictures. I have been wanting to take a trip to the grand canyon for a while now. Beautiful shots. I got real excited with the pictures of the wolves. Wolves are my favorite animal since I was real little (that and tigers). Looks like you guys had a blast!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We'd have to watch Scarlett out there. People would think she was an escaped wolf! How did Ollie respond to the wolf? When we were in Colorado, Paige was totally freaked out by the wolfX that approached our "pack". Scarlett has been nose-to-nose with a couple of wolf-hybrids and showed them no mind. We really want to spend a season in Yellowstone with our dogs ('cause you know we'll have two or three by then) and I wonder how they respond to wolves near the "pack".
Ollie is still going through this barking at other dogs stage but he did not make one single peep at the wolves! He did react more to them then the other animals, he was totally alert and moving all around the car watching them. We had to keep the windows closed though so I doubt he could smell them very well.

The Grand Canyon is probably the most dog friendly national park I've been too but the general rule for national parks including Yellowstone is that dogs are not allowed in the wilderness so your dogs would not be able to do Yellowstone with you, at most they could be in a campground but they are not allowed on hiking trails or near wildlife in parks like that. They are allowed on national forests though just not parks.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oops forgot a funny one! Ollie did NOT like this bear, he was fine with it mostly until my husband bumped it and made it move! :rofl: This was just after he'd seen real bears so I don't blame him too much!

IMG_8880_edited-1 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Camping..yes! I like how your roll...get outdoors, so much fun.

I love your pictures. Ollie looks like a very good boy, he enjoyed the trip. He's also gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Did Ollie say hey to his cousins? I liked the bear cubs. I want me one, but it has to stay small and not grow up. Glad you had a good time, and I am sure Ollie did too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
334 Posts
He is a handsome boy great pics of Oliie love the wolf pics too we often see those guys out here but they are scary

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all! We did have a great time apart from the literally freezing nighttime temperatures, I'm just glad I got a sleeping bag rated down to 0 degrees!

I'd highly recommend it as a great place to vacation with your pup, they even have a kennel in case you want some dog free time to do human only stuff. Like for example dogs are only allowed on the south rim and are not allowed down in the actual canyon itself.

And Ollie did better then I expected that he will definitely be going camping with us again, this time hopefully Oregon in the fall! I don't do summer camping, lol.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Wow! Really great photos :)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
thanks so much for sharing. I love travel photos! I've only been able to fly over the Grand Canyon on American Airlines, it was a perfect day. Your photos are great!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts