German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've been stalking the site for a good 7 months but haven't made a post introducing us!

Olivia is a german shepherd mix who is almost 6 months old. She weights about 50 pounds and is 20" inches to the withers, so she appears to follow the standard for size.

We adopted Olivia from a nearby shelter at exactly 2 months old, and while we were there saw her mother and siblings. Olivia has 9 others siblings and her mom was 60-70 pounds. So while we don't know who dad was, mom looked a very high percentage german shepherd. The best guess for who dad was (breed wise) is probably a yellow labrador.

Olivia is a bit of a handful at 6 months old. She likes to pull with all her weight on our walks and chase every car... However we have made lots of progress with her barking at people. Previously on our walks anyone within 150 feet would be barked at, and we live in the city so quite a bit of barking. Now we can walk into pet stores and as long as I tell her "Leave It" all is well!

She also has a tendency to counter and table surf, but we are working on that. We are going to be attending a puppy class so hopefully some good will come of that. She doesn't like stangers touching her, but loves other dogs... I'd love to take her to the dog park but worry she'll bark at strangers so hopefully this class helps her calm down a bit.

While she has a handful of things she needs to work on she has some wonderful quirks as well. She knows heel, sit, lay down, shake, highfive, leave it, and can catch anything big or small. She is insanely smart for such a young dog. She also is amazing with our cats with the exception of an occasional chase (she wants to play, they don't though..)

She's my first german shepherd and while I have a bit of experience with the breed (my grandma owns a 100 pound pure GSD) Olivia is my first. I know quite a few of you will see me around probably in the training and behavior sections, but I can't wait to continue this adventure with Olivia.

Wish me luck!

Alyssa & Olivia

Photos coming soon

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Welcome!!!! 6 month old can give you many little projects for sure!!!! A lot of great info on here!!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Congratulations, you have a (mostly) germanshepherd. She sounds great, and you are in the right place and I can't wait to see the photo's of your girl. Welcome, glad you chimed in.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Souinds like Olivia is a lucky pup. She sounds very smart. Your doing all the stuff you need to do so you and she can have a great life. Lots of info on training and puppy section as well as the behavior sections here. Looking forward to hearing all about her and .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts