German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:confused: My poor girl, Olina, who is now 18 months old has contracted lyme disease. We live in the woods and walk the trails daily. Upon our return we always check for ticks and she has been on FRONTLINE from day one. My other GSD, London, has been vaccinated for Lyme since he was about 10 months old. But after reading all the negative reactions dogs get from the vaccination, I was hesitant to give it to Olina. Now I wish I would've done so.

Anyway, she had NO symptoms whatsoever. No lameness, no lethargy, no loss of appetite. We discovered it from her annual Heartworm test. She is now on Doxycycline for 3 weeks. Again she has no typical Lyme Disease symtoms BUT she has had this weird jaw pain for over a month now. She tilts her head to the right and tries to open her mouth up wide but can't do so. When the vet checked her out, he could not pinpoint the problem. We had her on some pain meds for 4 days and her jaw still bothers her.

She can swing her head back and forth when she plays with her toys, but she cannot open her mouth up wide. She has been able to eat okay and still has a ton of energy.

Sorry for the long post but does ANYONE have a clue?

·
Registered
32,873 Posts
Use Advantix from now on. Frontline PLUS is for ticks but it only kills them after they bite. Advantix repels. If you are going for long walks, look into Equisect. It's in Tractor Supply in the Equine section. I haven't seen a tick on my horse since we started using it. You could spray that on them as an added precaution when you go for a walk.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
There are a lot of ticks around here too- I use Vectra instead of Frontline and a tick collar when the ticks are really bad. Fortunately we don't have a lot of Lyme in this area but I had a pup once that had erlichiosis and almost died. Tick diseases are so horrible. So sorry to hear about Orlina, poor girl. Hope she's well soon

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Dogs with Lyme Disease often have jaw pain.:( "

Thanks for this info, Whiteshepherds.

I am p*****d off that my vet did not know that. He gave me ear drops thinking that she had an ear infection! Poor Olina hated those drops! Plus, it was an expense that I did not need at this moment with all of the other drugs I now have to pay for to make my baby well again.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Oh so sorry about your baby. I hope she gets well soon!

I have learned one thing from this forum, ticks and bloat scare the crap out of me! Do the tick collars work? I currently use Sentry Natural Defense because I hate Frontline and that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am p*****d off that my vet did not know that.
Lyme disease can be very difficult to diagnose, even if cost is no object. Many of the supposedly accurate tests are not very reliable. If your vet is correct in his diagnosis then you should be elated that he got there at all.

Here is a canine Lyme disease primer and a PDF on the Complexities of Lyme Disease (a microbiology tutorial) to fill you in.

Oh BTW - one of the documents says it takes at least 48 hours to transmit Lyme disease. This is optimistic, at best. Some of the literature says 36 hours. At least one documented case was transmitted quickly by a biting fly.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
:confused: My poor girl, Olina, who is now 18 months old has contracted lyme disease. We live in the woods and walk the trails daily. Upon our return we always check for ticks and she has been on FRONTLINE from day one. My other GSD, London, has been vaccinated for Lyme since he was about 10 months old. But after reading all the negative reactions dogs get from the vaccination, I was hesitant to give it to Olina. Now I wish I would've done so.

Anyway, she had NO symptoms whatsoever. No lameness, no lethargy, no loss of appetite. We discovered it from her annual Heartworm test. She is now on Doxycycline for 3 weeks. Again she has no typical Lyme Disease symtoms BUT she has had this weird jaw pain for over a month now. She tilts her head to the right and tries to open her mouth up wide but can't do so. When the vet checked her out, he could not pinpoint the problem. We had her on some pain meds for 4 days and her jaw still bothers her.

She can swing her head back and forth when she plays with her toys, but she cannot open her mouth up wide. She has been able to eat okay and still has a ton of energy.

Sorry for the long post but does ANYONE have a clue?
Well, yeah, sure she has symptoms, you just listed some. This statement that "they have no symptoms" drives me batty. If your dog tested positive, then the symptoms are on the inside, and you clearly have some on the outside.

Please see the links located at the link in my signature below.

Btw, LOTS of dogs that have had the lyme vaccine still get lyme - it's a terrible vaccine.

Was a full blood panel run? A C6 to test lyme antibodies? A tick panel to test for coinfections?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ouote: "Was a full blood panel run? A C6 to test lyme antibodies? A tick panel to test for coinfections? "

All that my vet informed me of was that she had lyme disease and that her antibodies were at 100. Anything over 30 is bad. That is all that I was told.

I had 2 GSD prior to this and neither one had ever experienced a bout of Lyme Disease in their 12 and 14 years of life. And I never had either of them vaccinated. I am very hesitant to vaccinate my dogs due to the adverse reactions. But I have been strongly advised by my recent vet to vaccinate due to the large tick infestation in this area. It's terrible. I pull about 5 ticks off my dogs and 3 off of me every morning when we return from our walk/run.

Now this currenct vet told me that he will test Olina in 2-3 weeks to see if she is "rid" of the disease. If so, he wants to vaccinate her for Lyme. Any thoughts/advise?

I decided to take her to a more experienced vet in the neighborhood tomorrow to get a second opinion. This vet is supposedly one of the best in the 'hood.

BTW, Olina was "asymptomatic" which means she had no symptoms. Some dogs do not show outward symptoms, at least that is what my vet told me. I am not a vet but I know Olina and she did not act any differently from her normal behavior. She still could run our 4 mile morning course, eat like a moose, play with her toys, rough house with London......etc. The only difference was her sore jaw and when I asked my vet about that he said he was not a Lyme Disease symptom. (? Now I am told differently ?)

We discovered the Lyme Disease through the Heartworm test.

I do think that Olina will kick this Disease. She is such a strong and healthly girl. And even now she is Miss High Energy Girl.

Thanks to all for your warm wishes and your info. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I am very sorry to hear that Olina has lyme disease. If you google "lyme disease and jaw pain" you will see that every site lists jaw pain as one of the early symptoms. I'd say it's time for a new vet.

I absolutely would not vaccinate her now.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
All that my vet informed me of was that she had lyme disease and that her antibodies were at 100. Anything over 30 is bad. That is all that I was told.

Now this currenct vet told me that he will test Olina in 2-3 weeks to see if she is "rid" of the disease. If so, he wants to vaccinate her for Lyme. Any thoughts/advise?

BTW, Olina was "asymptomatic" which means she had no symptoms......
As BowWowMeow mentioned, jaw pain is a *known* symptom of lyme disease, which means that your girl is *not* asymptomatic.

If he tested for antibodies, it sounds like he ran a C6 test through Idexx - the guideline for that test is that anything over 30 is considered active infection and needs to be treated. I would treat aggressively, 3-5 mg/lb twice a day, for at least a month.

I think that 2-3 weeks is too soon to retest - I don't think that the C6 will drop that quickly, though I guess it could. The guideline is to treat until you reach half the initial number, so the C6 should be at 50 before you even consider to stop treatment. You should also use those head symptoms as a guideline.

I would insist on a blood panel to check kidney and liver values.

·
Registered
385 Posts
So sorry to hear about your girl. Sounds like you caught it early and I hope she'll kick it!
I, too, have heard mixed things about Lyme vax and am wondering what the best way to protect against it is?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with Lisa, and something I'd like to add, once a dog contracts Lyme, you will never truly be rid of it, they can end up with 'bouts' the rest of their lives, or they may never test positive for it again. However, again, once Lyme is contracted, it's honestly worthless to get the vaccine.

I have to say, unfortunately most vets are really not "up" on Lyme, or other tick diseases. They don't treat it aggressively enough or long enough. Alot of them don't take these tick diseases 'to' seriously.

You may not see any symptoms, (tho I agree the jaw pain is a symptom), but if left untreated, some dogs will go straight into liver/kidney failure and then it's to late to do anything.

My first two gsd's had lyme vax for probably 5-6 years of their lives(when it first came out),,they never contracted Lyme nor any tick diseases.

My last two gsd's, my 2 aussies, and my current GSD, all test positive for anaplasmosis (equii erhlichia),,they do not get the lyme vax, have never tested positive for "Lyme", but do for another tick disease. The Lyme vax does not cover any other tick diseases, sometimes doesn't cover Lyme, and sometimes causes problems from the vax itself.

It's certainly a personal choice whether to vax or not. Tick diseases are such silent killers, and affect so many other things. Your dog can appear healthy one day and be on death's door or dead the next.

Did I mention I live in Lyme? :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Again a BIG thanks for all of your info.

I took Olina to the new vet today. This vet has twenty years of experience and his thoughts on Lyme are 180 degrees from the last vet. You are all correct when you stated that there are SO many different schools of thought on Lyme.

This vet felt that Olina was probably bit by a tick in her 20 months of life and that could be why she tested positive. AND, if I would've brought her to him and she was tested positive without symptoms, he would not have put her on anything. He said MANY tests are false-positive. He is adamantly against the Lyme vaccination. He NEVER gives it to any dogs. He recommends a tick collar and Vectra.

Regarding her jaw pain - he diagnosed it as Masticatory Myosis. (Apparently a very common condition in GSD). He told me to give her one Buffered Aspirin per day with food and see if it goes away. He did say to keep her on the Doxycycline for this last week of it's duration since she is almost done and it is never good to quit antibiotics half way.

My last vet had prescribed the following:
Doxycycline 200mg/2xday with food
Rimadyl 75mg/2xday with food
Tramadol 50 mg/2xday
And Transderm (?) drops for her ears: 5 drops/2xday

This new vet is also anti-Rimadyl. I do like the fact that this new guy is not one to over prescribe meds/vaccinations. He is also totally against vaccinating her once she is through with the doxycycline. So she is off everything but the Buffered Aspirin and the Doxycycline.

My last pups, Lugar and Minerva, were only given a rabies shot once a year and they lived to be 12 and 14 years of age. We lived in Upstate NY and walked the trails daily, never had an incident of tick issues. I guess I was either very lucky or they built up a natural immunity. Who knows..... I am one of those who never gives myself a flu shot and I rarely get sick. But I am more protective of my dogs simply because they are my kids and my responsibility.

I will keep you posted as to how her jaw problem pans out.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
In my opinion, this vet is also missing the lyme boat...

when is he going to retest the C6? You have a C6 antibody test of over 100 and he is not taking that seriously enough! did he talk about the jaw pain being part of lyme? is he going to test for MM, or just diagnose it because he likes that diagnosis - there is a test for it, thought to be accurate in up to 85% of the cases and the test has no false positives.

So, he's going to diagnose a separate autoimmune illness, based on nothign whatsoever, when there is a totally plausible reason and positive test result in front of him?

Is he running a blood panel and urinalysis, to check kidney function, to make sure that the lyme isn't silently destroying the kidneys.

Idiots...

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with Lisa,,and as I said before, MANY dogs show no physical symptoms , and before you know are going straight into liver/kidney failure , by then it's to late, and they die.

He said there are alot of false positives? Well there are alot of false negatives out there to.

Unfortunately in this day and age, WE have to arm ourselves with knowledge because alot of vets know less about our dogs than we do. And let me say, vets don't like clients knowing more or seeming to know more than they do.

Good luck with whatever course you take.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way but there are so many of us on here whose dogs have been misdiagnosed by vets and it, in some cases, the consequences have been very serious, even fatal.

Masticatory myositis is a fairly rare disease. Jaw pain in dogs is a common symptom of lyme disease. THe chances of your dog testing positive for lyme and having masticatory myositis are pretty slim, I imagine.

HEre is the test for mm that Lisa cites above:

"THE 2M ANTIBODY BLOOD TEST

Thanks to Dr. G. Diane Shelton at the University of California at San Diego, there is a blood test to make the diagnosis of Masticatory Myositis. Positive results are felt to be accurate in all cases (no false positives have been seen with this test) though up to 15% of patients will falsely test negative. In these patients further testing is needed to reach the correct diagnosis.

Specimens for submission are generally sent directly to Dr. Shelton’s lab. For details on preparing samples plus the appropriate forms, one may refer one’s veterinarian to:

Comparative Neuromuscular Laboratory

I suggest that you ask the new vet to run this test.

Tick diseases can be very serious if not properly treated...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.