German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Re: Older rescue pup - housebreaking/crates/separa

Susan, first off let me say that Cassie is a lovely pup.
Second, since she has had several different homes and only been in yours about a week, don't be too hard on yourself or Cassie. One of the members mentioned patience and I think that is the key word. We adopted Sean at approx. 1 yr. of age, just a little bit older than Cassie, and we knew nothing about his previous owners or homelife, he didn't come with a resume.
However, he was a sweetheart right from the start but had terrible separation anxiety. I slept downstairs in our family room with him for at least 2 -3 wks. since our persian cat had the upstairs all to himself.

I walked him 6xday at first since he would not pee/poop in our yard. One of the neighbors said he was the best walked dog in our neighborhood. He did go on walks and it took quite awhile before he would go in our yard - once again, patience. He wasn't crazy about the crate at first but once again, patience and now it is his second home. You are doing all the right things with Cassie and most important of all you are giving her what she needs the most, love and security. It will all work out but it will take time. Keep up the good work and please keep us posted on Cassie's progress.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re: Older rescue pup - housebreaking/crates/separa

doggiedad and Sean mom - thank you.

Sean mom - it really helps to hear what you went through. I know it has only been a week but I don't want to screw her up because of mistake I make. She's making great progress with the crate, standing in there to chew on toys.

I realized tonight that when I was praising her when she peed that she almost stops so I need to make sure she's done.

Oh, patience...I need more. :)

21 - 22 of 22 Posts