German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admin. Please move this message if in wrong forum.

I am posting to see if anyone can speculate or has had similar experience as me.

My pup now 8 months has had a few incidences of sudden yelping and then a limp, and then seems fine after about 5 minutes.

This is what usually happens and how. He will be noodling around, or making sharp change of direction when romping with my older dog, or a sudden take off. He will yelp, pull his right hind leg up high and not bear any weight. However, after about 5 minutes he is usually back to normal.

History: I first noticed this at around 9 weeks old, it happened about 5-7 times over a course of about 6 days. I attributed it to having an injection in the right rear hip area for vomiting incident.(they are so tiny back there) When he was this age he often tweaked it when jumping up at a gate or noodling around. the vet didn't see anything wrong and even noted clear hips and knees on his exam reports.
Both parents are OFA normal
as for his confirmation, he seems very cow hocked to me, and weak in the rear, bears more weight and coordination on front.

Since those early days this has happened about 3 more times and then recently yesterday.

So any speculation? think its a cramp? signs of poor hips? pano? (I thought pano was more long lasting) How concerns should I be?

Thanks for input.
Gina
Brav Kaiser von Ryanhaus (DDR, 8 months)

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Since the incidents have the same pattern and alway affect the right hind leg and have continued off and on since he was 9 weeks old and the last the vet was informed of it was when he was 9 weeks old, I would suggest a visit to the vet. Perhaps xrays could rule out any hip or knee disorder. I also agree with you that I don't think it is pano because from my understanding pano not only lasts longer but different legs are affected. The only other thing I can think of is that he steps on something sharp or stubs his toe when he is romping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks MB,
I will be going to vet soon, just don't want to go down any rabbit holes! I was researching OFA and PennHip. I had no idea you could do those earlier. Although I know not certified.

If I do PennHip I will be sure to seek out a certified tech with good positioning.
thanks any other ideas welcome.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My parents had a Yorkie with similar symptoms. It turned out that his knee was dislocating repeatedly throughout the day (due to a birth defect). After a $2500 surgery, he's fine now.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
A chiropractor might be a good choice as well if no damages in x-rays. I had a dog who did similar, although his lip was beginning to be consistent. He had out his patella out. Chiropractor adjusted him everywhere and a huge difference. I would do a maintenance adjustment every 6mos or so...my SAR dogs get adjusted once a month and it makes a difference...even their scenting abilities can be hampered when not 'aligned' well.. hope your boy is ok

1 - 5 of 5 Posts