German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but seems to get good traffic. Might be a stupid question, too ...

I have 2 healthy GSDs, a 6 1/2 y/o female Xindra, and a 2 1/2 y/o male Chester. They are both healthy and active, healthy weight, etc., and as far as I know, no hip problems thus far (Xindra was x-rayed when she was younger w/ good results, Chester has not been xrayed but so far is active, can jump up into my SUV w/ no problem etc).

I currently live in a one story house, and the dogs sleep in my bedroom at night. However, I'm looking at purchasing a new house that is 3 stories, with the master br on the third floor and the living area (kitchen, living room etc) on the second.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but I do wonder - will all those stairs get to be a problem for the dogs as they age? Any stories from people w/ GSDs, especially older GSDs, and 2 or 3 story homes? I'm confident they shouldn't have any problems now (have two steps to my back porch in my current house, they usually just bound over both at once w/ no problems), I mainly worry about it as a potential problem as they get older, especially if one were to develop hip problems, arthritis, etc. I'm in good shape myself, and can carry either of them when needed, and I guess worst case one of the first floor bedrooms could be used as the master.

Aside from the stairs, the house I'm looking at should be a positive change for the dogs - HUGE back yard, it's on a lake (Xindra currently swims in my pool, Chester is afraid I think because of the ledge, I'm hoping with a lake where he can just walk in gradually he'll start to swim too), and it's only 1.5 miles from my office so running home at lunch to take them out will be even less of a problem than it is now.

Hoping people will chime in and tell me I'm over thinking it, that it won't be a problem.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Al I can tell you is my experience with my mix, he's 9 and has a back disease. I've always had more than one level to the homes I've owned and if he isn't comfortable that day going upstairs, he doesn't. He occasionally has stiff and sore days. Right now both my dogs hang out in the basement, it's really hot and humid and eventually make their way upstairs to the bedrooms. He's on supplements to help with his back and on a bad day gets a low dose aspirin, but I can't tell you his last bad day. In fact prior to the sunroom being opened (3 season room), he spent his days half-way up the stairs watching out the windows, our stairs are curved and at the curve the stairs are considerable wider, that was his perch LOL
So you are over thinking it a bit :) When it happens, you will figure it out and hopefully you have many, many years before that.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Three flights and as they get older - yes, I think the stairs could be a problem for them. I have a one story house with a basement and 2 steps leading up to the kitchen from the back door. When my husky was older (she lived to 19) around 15, she could make it up, but not down the 2 steps - the kitchen and those steps had linoleum. She was only 50 lbs, so I used to use a towel under her tummy to steady her. And that was only the 2 steps. I did carpet the kitchen and those steps and that helped my aussie (he was big 85 lbs) but he used to follow me downstairs to the basement - one day when he was 9 years old - he came down fine, but had difficulty going up - it was a struggle but I pushed him up and helped him and he made it up. After that I closed the kitchen door so he couldn't go down there. So for your new house, well, that is years away and I agree with ozzymama - if your like the house, there are ways to work around the stairs - the dogs can stay downstairs as they older. I would also try them on the stairs now - my Sting does not like steps and has shown zero interest in going down the basement steps. So with a 3 story house - he would demand his own master bedroom on the first floor. Though he would love the lake.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts