German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a two year old female german shepherd, and on Sunday we just invited another 8 week old german shepherd female pup in our home. The introduction was slow, and went very well. My two year old is a lover, but she is independent, and enjoys going in and out of our home via the doggie door, to our fenced in yard. The two dogs even are playing pretty well together. However, my concern is that now my older dog does not even want to come into the house. Before, all i had to say was Mia, lets get a snack and she was through the door, but now she wont even come in. She's all excited and wants me to give her attention when I'm outside, but it seems like she is separating herself since the puppy is inside. My heart is broken over this. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
32,306 Posts
Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for the older dog to adjust. When we lost Dena at 4 years old, her half brother Keefer who was a year younger, was despondent. They'd been together since he was 9 weeks old and they were joined at the hip. We weren't ready to get another puppy yet and planned to wait a few months before even starting to look. But we were concerned about him, he was used to having a buddy around the house and was taking her loss really hard.

We came across a puppy who sounded great a few months earlier than planned, and although we were still grieving we decided to get her. That was Halo. She adored him from the beginning but he was fairly aloof to her at first. She'd shove a toy in his face trying to get him to play but he wasn't interested. If he had a toy, she'd come over and grab the other end to start a tug game with him, but as soon as she touched it he acted like it was radioactive and dropped it. It took a little while, but eventually they were fast friends.

Two females together can sometimes be a problem, hopefully you won't have any issues once the puppy is older. But for now I'd give your two year old shepherd some time to adjust. If she's used to being an only dog, this is a big change for her.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. I thought maybe I was expecting too much too quick from Mia, but she's usually attached to my hip, and seeing her separate herself is really tugging at my heart strings

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
It’s temporary. I have a picture of my older dog sitting next to her new baby brother. He is sitting up straight. She is leaning as far away from him as she can. He was smaller but quite rough with her at first. She was patient, but still, a constant barrage of activity, nipping, toy stealing got to her. I gated off a room and kept them separated a lot until he was old enough to play nicely with her.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We had this go on at our house when we brought Nadja home. It's getting better now but our Mia is still reluctant to come in at times. Just give her time

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
Took Hans a full year before he got used to our new pup and stopped going off somewhere to sulk.
Be sure to keep the young one from harassing your older dog, and also, spend alone time with each of them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Never had any separation issues but my 6 year old male (5 at the time) was pretty aloof to the new male pup we brought home. He entered the stuff a toy in his face ace shortly after and he didn't want much to do with the younger dude.

Didn't last long but the now 7 month old is still a bit of a pain to the now 6 year old but they are best buds. The older dog generally defers to the the younger never-give-uppedness who has a very strong personality but shows him the teeth when appropriate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts