German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I’m going to be making a list of breeders for the future. I currently have a female gsd x lab mix. When she reaches 1 1/2 years old I would like to get her a brother.

I prefer the working line oldstyle German shepherds with the straighter back. I know I’ve made posts before but didn’t really get recommendations. Some of the recommendations were Czech working line and I would not want a Czech bloodline or ddr. Please suggest any in the US. Won’t be looking until next year.
Thank you!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Old style and straight back as traits are basically useless as criteria for selecting a pup/dog. Old style is a marketing tool used by breeders who breed pet quality dogs. Old style GSDs looked finer boned and more like Mals.
Ahh I see I just would like a working line without Czech or ddr bloodlines.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
If I was to make a broad generalization of west German, East German, and Czech working lines, I would say the west German dogs have the most drive. I would say you should take the year and a half to train and learn with your puppy, learn more about the breed, and then come back for breeder recommendations. I would even bet you could find a breeder you like on your own after that time.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ditto what @Bearshandler said. I was just about to say that😳 and call and talk to breeders to see if they breed the type of dog you're looking for or ask if they could recommend someone. Good luck😁 keep us updated. We hope to see pics when you get your next furbaby. You could also post pics of your GSD x Lab 😀

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do Czech and ddr have a higher prey drive? I would like the dog to be good with kids, cats, and dogs. Aloof to strangers but not aggressive. I’m not looking to compete or train for protection.

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
i don’t understand.... you’ve had two deposits down on litters, what’s wrong with those breeders now?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hmmm, I am not sure, but it really depends on the individual dog, so a good breeder (the breeder could be either Czech or ddr) could really help you pick out the puppy you want. I was looking for the same, but I want to do sports and train my dog above what the average owner trains.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you can hover over any users name and see all of their past posts.
I did have deposit down but then i found this rescue that needed a home. Things change and doesn’t always work out the way we plan. I’m only looking for another breeder for the future won’t be for at least 1 1/2-2 years from now. Just making a list for who to contact.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I did have deposit down but then i found this rescue that needed a home. Things change and doesn’t always work out the way we plan. I’m only looking for another breeder for the future won’t be for at least 1 1/2-2 years from now. Just making a list for who to contact.
So you don't want to go with the same breeder you were talking about?

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
right..... but if you were happy with those, why wouldn’t you contact one or both in a year and a half? if your needs have changed in a month, i’d imagine in a year they would yet again.

Reactions: Shadow Shep

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
right..... but if you were happy with those, why wouldn’t you contact one or both in a year and a half? if your needs have changed in a month, i’d imagine in a year they would yet again.

yeah i will think about them when the time comes but I also want to have more options. I like to have as many options. Well 1 breeder didn’t work out because of shipping from Canada to the us and I’m not gonna go through that struggleand heartbreak again. The 2nd one I may consider but the only thing I’m not sure of about that one is that she breeds dogs older than 8 years old. I didn’t know that because it was difficult finding the dogs pedigree online. I don’t know what the guidelines of age.

·
Super Moderator
4,311 Posts
Valor came across the boarder in a semi truck. I met the driver at a predetermined location and picked up the puppies. There was a small fee involved. Super nice guy that does it regularly and has a good reputation.

Truckers can cross the boarder and don't have to self quarantine.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts