German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - I used to post here back when Luc and Teagan were alive. Luc died last December 11th at 15.5 years old and I miss him terribly. It's so weird not having a GSD or GSD mix in my life.

We have Nebuchadnezzar (who was here when I last posted regularly) and Xerxes (a beagle, who was not). Nebbers is now 11.5 years old and Xerxes is 3.5-4 years old.

Today we adopted a new puppy - Agis (a Spartan king). He's a GSD/Rottie mix - a Shepherd again!

I haven't had a puppy in 11.5 years! Yikes! He's not much for walking. But probably Neb wasn't at 3 mos either? He likes chewing on toys (remember that) and sleeping. Big sweetheart. Neb and Xerxes mostly just ignore him, which is fine. I'm not sure he's pottied yet, I just got in from a sit on the lawn (ha! he walked a bit sporadically) and he may have done a tiny tinkle.

He's 3 mos old and 7kg. Sadly, because we got him from a shelter, he is already neutered. I think he'll still be a big boy though, mind you, to be honest, I haven't a clue about GSD or Rottie puppy sizes. Lots of reading to do!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Welcome back. I adopted a 4 month old that had been spayed at 8 weeks. She had a few health problems, but I don’t know if it was related to a pediatric spay. She’s tiny but again, that is genetic and probably not related to the spay. It’s too bad shelters and rescues don’t let puppies grow before speutering but they have no way to reinforce it and it’s part of their contracts. Enjoy your puppy!

·
Super Moderator
2,328 Posts
Welcome back, and big congrats on your new friend.

I always loved your travelogue posts, cheers to some new adventures with the little guy. :)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@LuvShepherds - yes, I get why. It's a shame. My husband was SHOCKED.
@WIBackpacker - thanks! We're planning on some adventures for sure! Hopefully he's not TOO big as he matures or we'll need a new backpacking tent tee hee (twist my arm).

For now though, I'd just settle on getting him to walk around our apartment building without needing to be carried! Baby steps! My mom was like 'I could come out Saturday and we could take him for a walk' (she's allergic so can't hang out at our place)...me: 'Well, "walk" is a tenuous term'.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks @sebrench and @Chuck94!

Until I get some better pics, I will share some Instagram links...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5G98tAHIK6/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5JfUQhnlDm/

Agis is a bit nervous but I traced his journey:

We adopted him Nov. 20th
He was brought to Toronto Nov. 12 from North Bay
He arrived in North Bay Nov. 4 from Dryden where he was brought by a Manitoba-based rescue organization that pulls dogs from northern communities

So he's had a lot of change.

He was born August 15th. Weighed 16.4lbs today at the vet (he has mild kennel cough and I had some other questions). He's doing well. Vet thinks he will top out at 65-70lbs.

He's not the best at walking - a champ at sitting and lying down eating leaves outside - but he's learned 'come' and so we had him run after us in the yard, varying distances or with us moving (don't worry, one person was holding the leash - our complex's yard is not fenced).

·
Registered
875 Posts
Aw, he is a lot furrier/shaggier than I thought he'd be, he must have gotten the GSD fur.

Your tugging is so cute. :)
You will see me and my dog going viciously at it, we are pretty evenly matched!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aw, he is a lot furrier/shaggier than I thought he'd be, he must have gotten the GSD fur.

Your tugging is so cute. :)
You will see me and my dog going viciously at it, we are pretty evenly matched!
I'm hoping he'll be furry enough to enjoy winter camping! Fingers crossed!!!!!!!

He's really funny. He jumps after it, he loves that toy.

Thanks @sebrench! He's a smart little guy, and everyone oohed and ahhed over him at the vet today.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey you!

I was just saying something about Teagan to my husband a couple weeks ago and ended with “I wonder what jarn is up to?”

Are you still running?

I’m doing the puppy thing after almost 10 years myself. It seemed easier last time, didn’t it?

Glad to hear that Neb is still with you. And a beagle too! Awesome! Beagles with Shepherds are the best.

That’s a lucky pup you’ve got. Give him lots of ear skritches from me...

Edit to add, re his weight, it seems fine, maybe a bit light. But coming from a shelter, that’s to be expected. At that age, my current GSD pup weighed 14.75 lbs. He was the smallest in his litter and smaller than the GSD growth charts indicated was average for months but caught up slowly and has slightly surpassed average at 7.5 mos)

I charted it all of course if you want a reference other than a generic growth chart).

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I didn't know you got a puppy. YAY! I hear ya about the super early speuter. Boh and Shelby were both shelter pups and spay/neutered at 8 weeks. It is what it is. They are 7 and 5 years old respectively. Shelby is a BIG girl. She has a tiny bit of rotti in there with the shepherd. They are both pretty healthy. Shelby was diagnosed with hypothyroidism this past year. But - the vet said that it often shows up around age 5. At least it is manageable and she acts completely normal.

Congrats & Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey! Yes, I haven’t posted in the beagle forum yet and aren’t on FB anymore. He’s a sweetie but overly pushy with poor Xerxes so there’s some training to do there.

4K9mom kind of still running! Not enough! Trying to slowly get back into shape. You’re doing the puppy thing too eh?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts