German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what has happened to the silver grey dark saddled gsd like the one i grew up with. i haven't seen this coloring since this pup. he passed in 1964.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as good looking as all the gsd i see here, none are what i am referring to. picture a more silver dog with a black saddle. tks all for replying.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I always believed that rich dark/warm pigments were desired in the breed?

Dilutes definitely undesirable - livers, blues, whites, etc... But silvers would lack the obvious warm rich pigments.

Of course, "No good dog is a bad color" -- Max von Stephanitz

I am always weary of kennels that breed for "old fashion GSDs" because for them this usually translates into over-sized, under-angulated, soft dogs. Something that is just, IMHO, not what an original working GSD was. Not some of the last dogs Stephanitz himself hand picked to be siegers. That's just my usual experience, not knowing something about a certain kennel, I can't really speak to their stock or quality of dogs.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i thought blk&silver (grey) was a standard color.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I always believed that rich dark/warm pigments were desired in the breed?

>>>> Dilutes definitely undesirable - livers, blues, whites, etc... But silvers would lack the obvious warm rich pigments.<<<<

Of course, "No good dog is a bad color" -- Max von Stephanitz

I am always weary of kennels that breed for "old fashion GSDs" because for them this usually translates into over-sized, under-angulated, soft dogs. Something that is just, IMHO, not what an original working GSD was. Not some of the last dogs Stephanitz himself hand picked to be siegers. That's just my usual experience, not knowing something about a certain kennel, I can't really speak to their stock or quality of dogs.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
What is generally called "black & silver" is actually a black & tan with poor, washed-out pigment, so that the tan appears silvery. I believe it is a fault in the breed, which is why most reputable breeders tend to breed away from it. I am not sure I'd trust a breeder who breeds FOR that color...

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Like Freestep said, the black and silver color is genetically a black and tan dog with washed out tan pigment. It was indeed seen more often in decades past than it is today. While not a true fault in the sense that it doesn't disqualify the dog under the standard like dilute (blue and liver) colors do, the standard prefers rich colors rather than pale ones, so it isn't something that most breeders would intentionally breed for. Though American breeders have not put as much emphasis on color as the European ones, so it can still be found fairly often in some of the older American lines.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Yes, I know exactly what you mean, my next door neighbor had a black and silver in the late 1960's early 70's. It was the first GSD I saw, and had always wanted one since. We could not find that coloring anywhere in my area when we looked for a GSD 2 years ago.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i see from other threads, i shouldn't have used the words "old fashioned". i should have asked about an older color. thanks for all the responses. the color i am referring to is a silver grey, with black saddle. this gsd was a wedding present from grandfather to my parents in 1953. maybe i remember it wrong, or maybe it was just an off color. either way, when i start my puppy search, my selection will not be based on coat color.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Maybe the colors on the old-time GSDs look the way they do because you are looking at old photos (that are faded and washed out). :D :wild:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe the colors on the old-time GSDs look the way they do because you are looking at old photos (that are faded and washed out). :D :wild:
my sisters beat me to all the old photo's years ago. i was born in 57, so i grew up with this dog till i was 10. now if you want to say my memory is getting a little faded, you could be right. i see you are from ny, these gsds came from a breeder on a farm right above middletown ny.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts