German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our first GSD puppy today. We have a 7 yo beagle who is usually a very well behaved dog. He isn't being outwardly aggressive or dominate but he is sort of "blocking" the puppy from my affections.

I can't call the puppy without the beagle coming up right in front of him. Again, he isn't growling or showing any aggression... I'm worried this is going to traumatize the puppy.

How should I be handling this situation? Ignore the old dog until he realizes that action won't fly? Or incorporate more time with the puppy and the old dog together?

I love my beagle to death but I'm new to GSD's and don't want to cause any problems there.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Please don't ignore your older dog. It's not fair to him and may only make things worse. Give the older guy extra attention. A well bred pup with a good temperament will easily adapt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have been very fair with attention but it's getting worse and worse with his defensiveness.

Again, I love my older dog. I intend to give him the exact same attention hes always gotten :)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Have you tried having him sit or down and stay while you interact with your puppy or have you corrected him when he gets too pushy?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I recommend one on one time w/o the pup. We recently introduced a new puppy to the house and every day Finn, our "old dog", got one on one time without the new puppy around. We went on solo walks, special trips, ect with Finn so that he never felt as if he was lacking attention.

When Finn would "butt in" when I would give the puppy attention, we just turned it into a training session; he had to sit and stay while I was doing something with her, then he got a reward for it. It worked out fantastically for us.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts