German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, an odd title for a thread. Bear with me...
When I got Hans, 11/2 years old, from the previous owner, he was feeding him Ol' Roy Kibble something or other. First ingredient is Ground Yellow Corn (just what all our puppies & dogs need) followed on the ingredient list by basically crap, more crap and tons of green and nice red food coloring. Somewhere in there is beef meal and it is ALL preserved by BHA. Yuck!
Would you believe that no matter what I have v-e-r-y gradually switched him to, he only has normal formed stool when I add Ol' Roy back in the bowl?? Less and less Ol' Roy and looser & looser stool. He was just checked at the vet for worms and was negative. The vet asked me in kind of an agitated tone "Just what the heck I was feeding him because his stool is yellow/green and very loose". I told him I was feeding Wellness Large Breed Adult dry with a can of Taste of the Wild, the one with lamb as first ingredient. He was puzzled. I gradually switched him to Blue Buffalo canned Beef thinking that since he tolerated Beef Meal in Ol' Roy that may be the answer. Horrible diarrhea. I, too, am puzzled about Ol' Roy making that much of a difference and do NOT want to keep him on crap food. I have tried leaving Ol' Roy out completely and adding canned pumpkin. Did not help diarrhea at all. Probiotics did not help either. I have started adding pedialyte to his water so he doesn't dehydrate.
Any thoughts?

Angela

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Have you tried adding some canned pure pumpkin?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Maybe you need to give up the canned stuff and just go with kibble or kibble loosened up with a little water or broth.

FWIW, we had a shepherd years ago that turned up his nose to everything but the cheapo supermarket 40 lbs for a dollar junk. He lived 14 years and healthy as a horse. I'm not promoting it, just saying.

·
5,627 Posts
Try switching to something middle of the road first. It may be too much of shock going from Ol Roy for 11 yr to such a rich food like Wellness. I'd also skip the canned.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I even wondered if the joint supplement I started adding could be contributing to the problem, but if Ol' Roy is in the bowl everything is good. I have adopted many animals over the years and not one has failed to thrive on better quality food. I am quickly learning just how sensitive GSD's stomachs are! Switching and trying different things especially make me nervous due to the breed's tendency to bloat.

Angela

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I would be inclined to step down in richness. Maybe move to white rice and ground beef, oil drained. then start adding in kibble - maybe something lower in protein and fat and complexity like Natural balance Bison and Sweet Potato - could be the chicken in the kibble is giving him a rough time...or did you move him straight to the canned BB no kibble?

I have had a few dogs not able to tolerate lamb.

EDIT YES YES YES glucosamine can give them the runs big time. Take care of the food switch first then sloooowly ease into it

Not all GSDs have a sensitive stomach though - my last three could eat anything and no issues with sudden food switches or anything.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Sorry,I missed reading the last part of your first post about having tried pumpkin. I am stumped. The only thing I can think of is that Ol' Roy has about 21% protein and maybe the other ones have too much protein. I don't know. Maybe leave out the canned for now?:confused:

I remember reading on this forum about a member's dog who can only eat Purina. That's the only thing the dog does well with. Sometimes, it's like that...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feed Solid Gold Wolf Cub with a bit of sea meal mixed with water twice a day. And no issues with too soft or too hard of stools. Sometimes, when money got tight, we had to switch for a couple days before payday and never had an issue with the runs.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
IMHO if the Old Roy is the only food that works for your dog I'd continue to use it, maybe trying other brands every so often "just to see" if he outgrows his problem. FWIW the corn based foods were about all you could get years ago ... the two oldest dogs I've ever personally owned ate Pedigree and other corned based foods ... both died when they were 16.

Would I go back to feeding this food ... not if I could help it ... BUT if I had a dog that did well on it and had problems with other foods I'd use it without blinking twice!!!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DOG!!!

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GSDLiam,
May I ask where you get Solid Gold Wolf Cub? I have heard of the brand, but do not think it is available in any stores around my area which is Indiana. Also, where does the sea meal come from? I am willingly to have food shipped if I can find something suitable.
Thanks!

Angela

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the advice. What I am basically hearing in general is to dropped the canned food for now and drop the joint supplement until the food issue is resolved. I have just been reluctant to stop the joint supplement because he has been on it for two weeks and it takes 4-6 weeks for it to take effect. If that's what it takes-so be it.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, a related question...his last potty break was 1 1/2 hours ago with really bad diarrhea. Should I give him kaopectate now and skip the evening meal he usually has at 7:30 pm? How would this best be handled? Thanks.

Angela

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
My dogs don't do great on great food. They do better on medium grade food. Which I forgot to order today! Phoey! Digestive systems vary in what they can handle successfully. If your dog does great on Old Roy, feed Old Roy. Don't go looking for trouble...;)

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
My fosters were doing badly on Blue Buffalo, soft stools and diarrhea. I got some ProPlan donated, not a fan, but tried it. They did beautifully on ProPlan. Go figure. I suggest something better than Ol Roy but not a rich as the premium foods. ProPlan is worth a try. Supplemented with pumpkin.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well, they have the new food still made by ol' roy - pure balance, I think it is called. Doesn't have the corn, soy, etc but still made by the same company.

Another thought is pro-pac. It has corn, etc. but more meat than ol' roy has.

·
Registered
31,706 Posts
Have you tried adding any digestive enzymes?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Personally, I'd leave out anything canned.

Right now, there are people with numerous PHD's employed by dog food companies that work specifically on making dog food kibble better and better. It is one of the most researched and refined products sold anywhere.

We feed our working dogs Canidae "Pure Sea" because of the super high protein needs of our partners. However any name brand kibble will typically yield good results.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe I'm just being picky, but I eat the very least amount of food coloring I can reasonably get by with. Therefore, I hate to pour it into my dog. He really doesn't get to choose. I really think the food coloring could be worse than the corn. At least corn is a natural product...
I think I will drop canned food for now. He was previously also getting a can of Ol' Roy mixed in with his dry Ol' Roy while with the previous owner. The previous owner made the comment about how he had to feed him double portions just to satisfy his appetite. Well, duh, lol. Guess I will approach this from the angle of getting his system calmed down, dropping the canned food & joint supplement (for now) and going back to something not as rich as I have been feeding. Many thanks to each person kind enough to take the time to help us!!

Angela

1 - 20 of 43 Posts