German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
allright, so I'm really at my wits end here.. my just turned six month old has been so terrible as of late. the past two weeks, she's had over 5 accidents in the house. She is always taken out at least once every 2-3 hours, and her water intake is monitored, yet, she'll come in from outside and pee on the carpet. She was more potty trained when she was 3 months old.. literally. and what drives me nuts about the whole thing is the fact that 3 weeks ago, she went over a month without an accident and she was perfect. I mean.. what can it be? is she acting out? pissed off? my girlfriend is always home with her, so she's never alone, but I work all the time and I'm the dominant figure in the household.. is she pissed because I'm gone? any guesses? any suggestions anyone can offer me other than picking up in the act and placing her outside and praising for pee outside?

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
I'd have her checked for a urinary tract infection. That could definitely be the cause of all the extra peeing...

·
Registered
32,046 Posts
When a housebroken dog suddenly starts peeing in the house, the first stop should be to the vet to check for a UTI.

When she pees, what are you cleaning it up with? Are you using an enzyme cleaner to fully get rid of the smell? I've heard vinegar and water will work as well.

·
Registered
594 Posts
First, take her to the vet to make sure she doesn't have a urinary tract infection or other problem. Sometimes this happens when they come into heat, just finish a heat cycle, or have just been spayed. Ruling out the physical leads to to....retraining. Is she just doing this when you come home, as in she is over-excited and piddling on your feet? If not, begin again as if she were 10 weeks old and this is her first day in your house. Restrict her freedom in the house; use a leash if necessary to keep her under observation. Reinforce her crate training. Keep her schedule as predictable as possible; feed, play, and potty on a regularly timed schedule. Praise her when she goes outside. Ignore accidents unless you catch her in the act, then use an upbeat tone of voice as you remind her of her "potty" word and hustle her outdoors. 6 month old puppies are not always able to maintain their bladders any more than a 3 or 4 year old child -- accidents will happen. Be consistent, and be patient. It will be worth it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When a housebroken dog suddenly starts peeing in the house, the first stop should be to the vet to check for a UTI.

When she pees, what are you cleaning it up with? Are you using an enzyme cleaner to fully get rid of the smell? I've heard vinegar and water will work as well.

yep, I forgot the brand of the cleaner, but it has a "odor blocker//repellent" in it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, take her to the vet to make sure she doesn't have a urinary tract infection or other problem. Sometimes this happens when they come into heat, just finish a heat cycle, or have just been spayed. Ruling out the physical leads to to....retraining. Is she just doing this when you come home, as in she is over-excited and piddling on your feet? If not, begin again as if she were 10 weeks old and this is her first day in your house. Restrict her freedom in the house; use a leash if necessary to keep her under observation. Reinforce her crate training. Keep her schedule as predictable as possible; feed, play, and potty on a regularly timed schedule. Praise her when she goes outside. Ignore accidents unless you catch her in the act, then use an upbeat tone of voice as you remind her of her "potty" word and hustle her outdoors. 6 month old puppies are not always able to maintain their bladders any more than a 3 or 4 year old child -- accidents will happen. Be consistent, and be patient. It will be worth it!

no, thats the thing.. she never does it when I'm at home. She never has, it's only when I'm gone and my girlfriend is watching her. She's never done that nervous//excited piddle or anything of the sort, she has just been doing like small puddles in the house, which are naturally bright bright yellow, so it ruins the carpet. Are there any tell-tale signs other than peeing in the house of a UTI?

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
I agree with the others...have her seen to rule out a UTI. Bright yellow pee can also indicate dehydration...are you limiting her water?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Do you have other pets? My female gsd that I rescued peed in little spots around the place when I got her, I was told by the people I got her from (who had rescued her from another place) that she wasn't housebroke. She is a little over two years old. I got a creat and discovered that she wasn't peeing per say, she was marking her territory. Once she became aquainted with my other animals, and the place, she stopped making little wet spots everywhere.

By all means check her out first to make sure she isn't suffering a uti, but the problem sounds to me like it might be behaviorial.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts