German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it get a lot worse? LOL My daughter and I went to see and meet our pup when he was 6 weeks and a day old. We're picking him up this Saturday!

Out of the pups, he was the mouthiest. The others jumped up and licked/kissed. He jumped up and bit my nose :) But after a few minutes, he laid on my lap and gently gnawed on my finger with his back teeth.

I keep hearing all the landshark stories and I'm really concerned about my goofball (daughter). Do the teeth get sharper before they get their adult teeth in? When he was gently gnawing on my finger, I didn't feel any sharp teeth at all. But on the other hand, I didn't want to feel around his mouth and provoke him :)

I guess I just had a different experience in mind when we went to meet the pups and was sort of surprised by not having any blood/cuts :) Were the pups just being nice to the strangers? lol

Actually, his nails were sharper than his teeth seemed...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yes they are landsharks and puppy teeth are sharp! Forewarned is forearmed. There is a lot of great info on the puppy pages as to how to deal with this. I provide lots of toys to chew on and I redirect. You might also look into getting some bitter apple spray to deter chewing on furniture etc. I'm missing part of a stair due to puppy teeth!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
They are too young - wait until they get older. Might get one that doesn't bite - it happens.

Some litters are different at that age...vocal, confident, walking around, exploring, mouthing everything....some not so much. One pup jumped up and bit me in the face at that age - it was love at first sight (bite?) :)

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Don't let him chew on your finger.
And I suspect if he is mouthy now, he will be very mouthy for months to come. Hans was not mouthy... at first.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'm expecting him to be a real mouthy little guy :) And no, I won't let him chew on my finger. We were just meeting the pups, so he jumped up on my lap and started licking, then gnawing on my finger.

Believe me, I've read more than I care to about the landshark stage :) I was just surprised he was being gentle. Redirection, bite inhibition, you name it... I'm as ready as I'll ever be :)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Agree with everyone else, don't even give him the chance to chew on your finger. I would immediately replace it with a toy.
I think even in a week pups will learn some bite inhibition from their mother and siblings, which is part of the reason why people strongly suggest not removing them from the litter before 7 weeks of age.

I'm hoping for your's and your daughter's sake that he's not too much of a landshark, mine was a landshark (or shall I say a Great White) until he was about 10-11 months old :eek:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Hi Mog,
Tanya Consaul's Photos | Facebook - this photo does not show how bad it really is.

Anyone I talked to said that if your hands are not bleeding, than you are not playing with your puppy =)

We are working on redirecting and puppy school will help, but German Shephards are known to be piranhas when they are young. We knew what we were getting into so no shock here. But ya my hands, legs and feet are bleeding! and I still love him!

·
Registered
75 Posts
i can still recall the day i called a friend crying. i was sure i had made the worst mistake in the world with getting my pup. i convinced myself i had to stick it out instead of getting rid of her. i just knew she would be abused by any other person that had to put up with her mouthing. my hands were a mess for a month.

it finally calmed down and we are now on to adult teeth. i love my puppy again.

i am unsure of your daughter's age, but if she is excitable and easily stressed by the mouthing ... that will in turn excite the pup and make it worse. your daughter should always be armed with something to put in that pup's mouth when she is holding it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hate to say it, but I'm so glad I'm not the only one being eaten alive by their GSD puppy :) I love my little man so much but OUCH! He is my first german shepherd and due to the fact that i rescued him off the street, i wasn't totally prepared when i first brought him home. I feel so much better knowing this behavior is totally normal though haha His adorable face makes up for all the chewing he does any way :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Bear... but if the way he acted was any indication, I know we're in trouble :) Hopefully.. we'll get lucky.

Neko, that's not bad! At least from what I was expecting. I know I'm going to bleed... and well prepared for it. Just my little one I'm worried about, she's 4.

Annie, I've already talked to my daughter. She's pretty smart for a 4 year old :) I've explained as much as I could to her, so she has an idea of what to expect. After our long conversation, she told me that if he bites too much, she wants me to train him to stop biting first :) I told her that we'll have to figure out what is favorite toy is and whenever she plays with him, she'll have to have that in one hand or real close!

Kdh, it will be ours as well. We leaned towards the mouthy pup, so I figure we'll get what we asked for... Just glad I never saw a post with all the cut up fingers/hands/feet and toes. Or should I say my daughter never saw :) 4 more days... can't wait to bring our fuzzy piranah home!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I must say, Mog...

...you're taking this a lot better than some do.

After my third shepherd I consider it a low price to pay for the eventual honor of owning such wonderful animals. But we've not enjoyed the price, still.

LF

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Longfisher. I just hope I'm taking it as well this time next week and not on here asking for help! :D And if I consider it, I may refrain just so no one knows!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts