German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know from my more recent thread we're back home for a friends wedding and visiting family and such. The other thread has pictures posted in case anyone wants to see.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/150417-not-looking-forward.html

Anyway, that supposed skin infection Zena had that caused her to lose all the fur on her back around her shoulders, it appears that now Shasta has it. The stupid husband says,"Oh well she was outside with Bear and Ninja and they were playing so its probably because of them. What? You think my parents backyard is diseased now?"

As a matter of fact, Zena had a fur issue recently that her fur growing back in looks like someone took scissors to her back and just hacked away. Now Shasta's fur is looking the same regardless of how quick it happened? And why the heck would it happen now?! Riley and Shelby play with her the same way Bear and Ninja supposedly are and suddently she's missing fur and looking like someone took scissors to her too? I DON'T THINK SO!!!! I am so mad right now. As soon as my friends wedding is over i'm packing up and heading out of here. I dont give a rats behind if the husband has to find a different way back. He doesnt care and he is constantly offended by anything i say whenever we're here.

I get that he loves his mom but i'm not required to love her and i'm really not required to even try to understand why he is wasting money we should be saving to get back to NC on just adding more oxygen hoses in this freaking house!!! He is trying to make it so all she has to do is unplug her hose from one port and plug it back into another port in another room. It hasnt worked the last 6 times he's rearranged it. And no matter what, there are going to be oxygen hoses all over the place for the dogs to get caught in and for people to trip over so its really not going to do any good anyway. Then he has the nerve to ask me if we're going to do anything besides go to walmart and my parents house. Yeah sure, when we find a million dollars! I mean seriously, i'm the one who's been going out and seeing people and he's been staying home playing video games with his friend who he SAYS he's going to break it off with because he's tired of trying to make what is a two way street work with only one person. He CLAIMS he's going to have a talk with his family about his sister's loser boyfriend, yet he says that every time we come back for a visit and he never does. Yes i've lost an large amount of faith in anything my husband says. The animals are mine. I know that. He could really care less about them but he could at least care that I care something is up that may require a vet visit with money we dont currently have since he's always so concerned about money and how much of it goes to the animals. I'm sorry but cost of food is about it. Along with the occassional bone to replace one they've finished. He just doesnt get that he keeps pushing me away with his general attitude about everything. I'm not allowed to have opinions or say anything at all when we're here because then it starts a fight because i've offended someone. i dont honestly care if i've offended someone because thats the only way to get a point across to these people!

My SIL is living at home at 22 almost 23 years old. She intentionally failed all her college classes after she graduated high school wasting her parents money because she had to take classes she didnt want to get to the ones she wanted to do what she wanted. Obviously what she wants to do with her life isnt all that important. They're not going to kick her out and my MIL suddenly needing help doing absolutely everything because she refused to take care of herself, my MIL has made the excuse that my SIL is now working for her because she's in need of assistance. She needs a freaking in home nurse or to move into an assisted living home like she's so often mentioned doing recently. All my MIL has EVER done is make excuses for my SIL. My husband was always getting in trouble for things my SIL was doing in school. Funny thing is, when my husband graduated, they were still getting those D and F list phone calls home about their son or daughter. Well they only had one kid still in school so la di da who could it have been?! Yet again, excuses were made for her. She skipped class, got bad grades, barely graduated. I mean come on!! Thats all one thing but then one of my dogs starts showing the same signs of a skin problem when she had none before when we get out here.... yeah.... i'm going to be mad when its not taken seriously. And i will honestly demand that because it happened here and was caused by THEIR property/THEIR dogs, that if a vet visit IS required, they're paying for it. I am so tired of the excuses they make for everything. Overfeeding a dog with hip problems because "she loves her food". Spending money on a steroid shot every month because of allergies instead of switching foods to see if THAT might help. Spending money on all the other meds that wouldnt be necessary if it werent for the steroid shot. I'm done. I'm ready to go back to NC and i never thought i would say that. If we had our own place here, i would be happier about being here. I am just so mad and frustrated. And i'm tired of my husband taking his mothers side on EVERYTHING and just automatically ignoring anything i have to say.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
you are fighting a losing battle. Its your husbands family, they will always be in your life. You will have to find a way to focus on the positive and not the negative aspects.

As far as the missing fur, either take the dogs to the vet or do not let them out of your sight while you are there. Have you checked for biting? maybe raccoons? flea bite allergy? Sorry I am late to this conversation. LOL

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are fighting a losing battle. Its your husbands family, they will always be in your life. You will have to find a way to focus on the positive and not the negative aspects.

As far as the missing fur, either take the dogs to the vet or do not let them out of your sight while you are there. Have you checked for biting? maybe raccoons? flea bite allergy? Sorry I am late to this conversation. LOL

no worries. lol. We dont have fleas here. We also dont have raccoons in the area because there are so many dogs in this neighborhood. I cant take Shasta to the vet because we currently have no money until payday and even then thats how we're getting back to NC. She doesnt bite or chew herself but i honestly wouldnt be surprised if those mangy mongrels my inlaws have (Zena excluded) are the reason her fur is all choppy now. And its hard to not let them out of my sight because nobody will listen to me in regards to MY dogs. Riley is hubby's dog technically speaking. Shelby follows me everywhere and Shasta goes where she's comfy laying. Even if i did try to keep them all with me, it wouldnt do any good as everyone else thinks they know best. I'm just ready for this trip to be over. Least i dont have to worry about who's getting into what when they have nothing to get into. and i also dont have to worry about Ninja and Bear causing issues with Shasta.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
sounds like your having a great time NOT:)

How long has shasta been around zena?? I also find it weird that it's been , I think, a short time for her to 'catch', what zena had?? (certainly not saying your lying or wrong, it's just weird!) Maybe the other dogs are gnawing on her shoulders as in play??? or the weather change has made her blow coat in that area?? just throwing out some thoughts..

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
sounds like your having a great time NOT:)

How long has shasta been around zena?? I also find it weird that it's been , I think, a short time for her to 'catch', what zena had?? (certainly not saying your lying or wrong, it's just weird!) Maybe the other dogs are gnawing on her shoulders as in play??? or the weather change has made her blow coat in that area?? just throwing out some thoughts..

we got here thursday night. So we've been here less than a week. I'm also pretty certain that whatever skin issue Zena had beyond her allergies, is because of the steroid shot and all the other drugs they have her on for various things they think are necessary. I'm pretty certain its because Bear and Ninja chew on her shoulders. Shasta is afraid of them because they wont leave her alone but she's also not one to get snappy with another dog like Zena or Riley would. Shelby keeps her distance but will get snappy if she thinks she needs to. Bear and Ninja are dog ettiquette stupid. They just dont get it or they refuse to get it. I agree it would be weird for Shasta to have caught whatever Zena had. I also dont think its the weather change either because the weather we were having in NC is the same here in CO right now. I honestly wish i knew what the heck was going on but i do know i'm pretty darn angry about it. I'm allergic to something in Bear and Ninja's saliva which is unusual because i'm not allergic to anything except spring time lol. Hay fever sucks. Luckily I dont like Bear and he knows it so he keeps his distance from me. I like Ninja and he has learned not to give me "kisses". Wish i could figure it out. We dont have fleas in this area. The spot where her fur is choppy isnt a spot she can reach on her own to chew. I watched interactions yesterday out in the yard and nobody except bear and ninja went for her shoulders.... if they could catch her that is. Zena goes for the throat to pin other dogs and Riley just mouths. Shelby isn't sure how to really play but she also keeps her distance from the "pack". We are expected to have our federal return by the 4th so if it gets worse, i'll haul her 55lb butt to the vet out here. At first i thought her fur was just matted because of saliva but it was actually broken. I brushed it out and was just livid. I can try and get a picture but because he coat is so dark on her back it might be tough to see.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'm a little mystified as to how Shasta could catch something and have it develop so quickly. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think there's probably another explanation.

As to your husband's family, well, yeah, they're his family...you can't change that. I think it would be very counter-productive in the long run to do anything other than get along and be polite for the rest of your visit. I know it's really hard, but that's the best advice I have to give you.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Mama always said, "Kill them with kindness, cause you'll live longer."

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a little mystified as to how Shasta could catch something and have it develop so quickly. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think there's probably another explanation.

As to your husband's family, well, yeah, they're his family...you can't change that. I think it would be very counter-productive in the long run to do anything other than get along and be polite for the rest of your visit. I know it's really hard, but that's the best advice I have to give you.

thanks Paula. Believe me, i'm trying. Its just really hard to keep my mouth shut about some things. lol our first night here, my sister in laws idiot (boyfriend) was here and he was helping her cook. He said right off the bat that he didnt like Shelby because she didnt immediately even acknowledge his existence (good girl!!!) but he liked Shasta because she let him touch her. I flat out told him that Shasta was a puppy and didnt know any better yet on who she should dislike yet. Needless to say he didnt get the meaning and my SIL and my MIL werent happy but hubby was laughing. I also refused to eat dinner that night too because he "helped" cook. He's just a nasty filthy person and i'm not about to put anything in my mouth that he's had a hand in making. Its only a few more days..... i can survive but i cant promise i'll be nice about it. lol

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mama always said, "Kill them with kindness, cause you'll live longer."

LMAO!!! my mom always said "dont take any nonsense but make sure to be able to fight back or run faster than they can"

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
you're in laws sound exactly like my best friends in laws lol. they have this hyper, high drive lab whom they just stuck in their tiny backyard, and when she barks, which is constant, they slap a bark collar on her; and to top it all off she was really really fat. She weighed i believe around 85 lbs and she's not a big dog either, my friend and I got her down to about 60ish now, she still has more to loose.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you're in laws sound exactly like my best friends in laws lol. they have this hyper, high drive lab whom they just stuck in their tiny backyard, and when she barks, which is constant, they slap a bark collar on her; and to top it all off she was really really fat. She weighed i believe around 85 lbs and she's not a big dog either, my friend and I got her down to about 60ish now, she still has more to loose.

yup! although my MIL is one of those people who thinks bark collars are cruel and would NEVER use one even if it was ordered as a condition of keeping the dog. I cant say i wouldnt use one but my dogs also dont usually cause any issues. My inlaws arent the best trainers.. they potty train and teach sit. Thats where it ends. They dont teach any other manners or anything because they dont get how but they also dont want to learn how. And they overfeed because they think its cruel for the dog if you can feel their hips and ribs easily.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Maybe your SIL's deadbeat boyfriend is slipping into the dogpile at night with a pair of scissors and giving your shasta a trim, because he knows that it would urk you to tears? :D Seriously, I bet it's damaged hair from rough play. It just seems that you haven't been there long enough for your pup to contract something so aggressive that you would already see so much damage. Have your other puppers shown any signs of hair loss?

On a lighter note: when I'm forced to stay the night at my in-laws, I get drunk as s**t, as it makes the whole ordeal alot less painful. :D

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
yup! although my MIL is one of those people who thinks bark collars are cruel and would NEVER use one even if it was ordered as a condition of keeping the dog. I cant say i wouldnt use one but my dogs also dont usually cause any issues. My inlaws arent the best trainers.. they potty train and teach sit. Thats where it ends. They dont teach any other manners or anything because they dont get how but they also dont want to learn how. And they overfeed because they think its cruel for the dog if you can feel their hips and ribs easily.
that's exactly how my friends MIL thinks!! She thinks my friends Pit Bull is starving because you can see ribs, but he's extremely muscular, and he has to be keep skinny because he has bad hips.

I use a bark collar on Molly. I hate using it. It doesn't work though, I took the batteries out of it I just put it on so if my neighbor "just lets me know" she's barking I can say she has a bark collar on. My neighbor complains about everything too. I've considered, once I get my grooming job, putting her on anti anxiety meds, because she gets so worked up. I've tired running her before I leave, giving her things to do while i'm gone, I've been working on her SA for three years and it's better, but it's no where near where it should be. UGH lol

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Maybe your SIL's deadbeat boyfriend is slipping into the dogpile at night with a pair of scissors and giving your shasta a trim, because he knows that it would urk you to tears? :D Seriously, I bet it's damaged hair from rough play. It just seems that you haven't been there long enough for your pup to contract something so aggressive that you would already see so much damage. Have your other puppers shown any signs of hair loss?

On a lighter note: when I'm forced to stay the night at my in-laws, I get drunk as s**t, as it makes the whole ordeal alot less painful. :D
haha there's one way to endure your annoying in laws haha

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I wouldnt be surprised if that was the case but he is also terrified of me so i doubt it would be him doing that. Plus they were gone all weekend and i noticed it this morning. No she hasnt shown any other signs of hairloss at all.

If i could get drunk as a skunk, believe me i would. Would certainly be entertaining!!! Should have seen the look i got from my MIL when i ordered a drink at dinner last night with my friend (the one who is getting married friday!) I paid for the drinks and even my husband couldnt figure out why she was miffed.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well my Shasta pup came in to see me and looking more closely at her fur in better light it looks like its been shaved like whoever did it, had no clue what they were doing. Patches are perfectly evenly cut. It resembles what it would look like if a 3 year old tried to cut their own hair. and considering nobody in this house can find any scissors, i doubt it was my kids. lol.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
well my Shasta pup came in to see me and looking more closely at her fur in better light it looks like its been shaved like whoever did it, had no clue what they were doing. Patches are perfectly evenly cut. It resembles what it would look like if a 3 year old tried to cut their own hair. and considering nobody in this house can find any scissors, i doubt it was my kids. lol.
maybe your SIL's evil D bag of a BF did it lol or your MIL, or maybe one of your kids found a pair of scissors. :confused:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You need to get off your computer and go into the living room and visit with your in-laws! You unsocialable thing! :D:D:D

yup thats me!! lol. The funny thing about that is my inlaws dont even socialize. My FIL either is out of the house at work or at his college class or he's hiding in his bedroom watching TV and my MIL sits in the kitchen all day and my SIL is either downstairs in her bedroom or upstairs sitting at the kitchen table doing absolutely nothing too. OR she's with the idiot. Besides! i'm comfy. lol

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
maybe your SIL's evil D bag of a BF did it lol or your MIL, or maybe one of your kids found a pair of scissors. :confused:

nope. the kids have been playing with straws and building forts lol. hubby showed our daughter how to build a fort inside so they've been doing that. I had to borrow a pair of my mom's scissors to cut the kids hair day before yesterday and they got returned as soon as i was done. My parents dont like my inlaws. They dont get along so i couldnt even figure that in somewhere. My parents are just as mad about Zena being overweight as i am. My mom has a few choice words for my MIL. But i do question whether my SILs idiot has anything to do with it. He does his best to avoid me which is fine by me but refuses to listen when i tell him not to go near my dogs.

1 - 20 of 240 Posts