German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened yesterday and today. Was taking my girl out, and the last couple of times I was armed with biscuits. She has her invisible bubble and whenever a stranger bursts it, she attacks. Literally hair up, growling, and biting. Yesterday and today I had strangers she doesn't know feed her treats. She's ok when they're feeding her but the moment they stopped and tried to pet her, watch out!

She nearly bit the guy's hand yesterday (he was quick enough to pull away) but bit clean off a small portion of a lady's shirt today. Before both situations happened, I made sure both of them were dog people and they knew how aggressive she was beforehand. The guy did ok but the lady was suddenly no longer a dog person. I apologized to her profusely and she said it's ok it's not my fault. I felt really bad for her and for my girl.

One good thing about my girl is she does great weaving through crowds even close to other people when we're walking, even slowly. But she's just so protective (I think that's why) and come out growling and biting when a person tries to single me or her out.

Any more suggestions on what I should do based on what I described above?

·
Registered
340 Posts
That's scary is all I can say, I'd be very very careful. Doesn't sound like she is being protective. Just fear

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
why let people treat her since you know she's aggressive. becareful
in crowds. you never know when someone will reach out to touch her.
if my dog behaved like that i would get him a muzzle.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
be very careful with your dog , understand what is going on so that you can manage her and avoid drama of a bite and a lawsuit.

Sounds very much like the dog is exhibiting social fears .
" She has her invisible bubble and whenever a stranger bursts it, she attacks. Literally hair up, growling, and biting. " that would be her zone of comfort . No threat to her or you -- fear aggression , pre-emptive strick from her part .

Stop having strangers feed your dog in an attempt to counter-condition . Nobody needs to pat your dog .

"One good thing about my girl is she does great weaving through crowds even close to other people when we're walking, even slowly. But she's just so protective (I think that's why) and come out growling and biting when a person tries to single me or her out"

sounds like you are okay (wouldn't test it too far) as long as the crowd is going the same direction ---- what if you were on one side and the crowd on the other coming toward you?

that was part of an old temperament test . move along with a crowd which speeds up so they are past and ahead of you and then when at a distance they turn and walk toward you --- different dog ! different reaction with dogs not so stable.

The dog is not protective .

Basic obedience . Consistent expectations , routines can take some anxiety away from the dog , will give comfort to her .

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sad thing is kids just love her and want to pet her but obviously I have to turn them down. Looks like she'll be a one family dog. Strangers seem to be her mark. She plays well with my child and our Pomeranian.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's scary is all I can say, I'd be very very careful. Doesn't sound like she is being protective. Just fear
Yeah I thought I was being careful, now even more so.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why let people treat her since you know she's aggressive. becareful
in crowds. you never know when someone will reach out to touch her.
if my dog behaved like that i would get him a muzzle.
Yeah I'm sure you'd muzzle your dog just to take him out right?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
how sad would it be if one of the kids got a face bite ?
Fearful dogs are scary because of the unpredictability of what might trigger a fear response from them. You can't be casual with them , constantly have to read and monitor them for little shifts in them to see if you are near their threshold.
A child wouldn't do this . I would be careful even with your own child playing with the dog . A reaction can be lightning swift . At minimum you always be present to supervise . Kid should not be inhibited , dog needs to be managed , things in perspective , kept fair .

No other kids exposure . Dog may be okay with yours but I wouldn't have her in the mix with kid-friends coming over .
Put dog securely away to avoid a problem.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
"Yeah I'm sure you'd muzzle your dog just to take him out right? " In some countries that is standard.
With some breeds that is imposed.
With some dogs it is wise to prevent a problem.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
be very careful with your dog , understand what is going on so that you can manage her and avoid drama of a bite and a lawsuit.

Sounds very much like the dog is exhibiting social fears .
" She has her invisible bubble and whenever a stranger bursts it, she attacks. Literally hair up, growling, and biting. " that would be her zone of comfort . No threat to her or you -- fear aggression , pre-emptive strick from her part .

Stop having strangers feed your dog in an attempt to counter-condition . Nobody needs to pat your dog .

"One good thing about my girl is she does great weaving through crowds even close to other people when we're walking, even slowly. But she's just so protective (I think that's why) and come out growling and biting when a person tries to single me or her out"

sounds like you are okay (wouldn't test it too far) as long as the crowd is going the same direction ---- what if you were on one side and the crowd on the other coming toward you?

that was part of an old temperament test . move along with a crowd which speeds up so they are past and ahead of you and then when at a distance they turn and walk toward you --- different dog ! different reaction with dogs not so stable.

The dog is not protective .

Basic obedience . Consistent expectations , routines can take some anxiety away from the dog , will give comfort to her .
I walk downtown and busy trails and people come at us all the time, even close. Joggers, bikes, etc. She's just bad when one of them come to talk to me or tries to pet her. She might be bad when they're consistently alongside us, although that rarelyhappens.

Yeah doing the same walks regularly. She's used to being near people, just not with them in her face. With other dogs, she's a terror, although she's pretty calm with other dogs bark at her first.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if my dog was aggressive in certain situations i would diffinitely
muzzle him. it's a common sense move. i also wouldn't let
people treat him if he was aggressive towards them. you're
putting your dog in situations that he's not comfortable with.
i wouldn't put my dog in situations where he shows aggression.

why let people treat her since you know she's aggressive. becareful in crowds. you never know when someone will reach out to touch her. if my dog behaved like that i would get him a muzzle.
Yeah I'm sure you'd muzzle your dog just to take him out right?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if my dog was aggressive in certain situations i would diffinitely
muzzle him. it's a common sense move. i also wouldn't let
people treat him if he was aggressive towards them. you're
putting your dog in situations that he's not comfortable with.
i wouldn't put my dog in situations where he shows aggression.
Ok good for you. As for me, muzzling just not practical. I'd sooner not take her out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how sad would it be if one of the kids got a face bite ?
Fearful dogs are scary because of the unpredictability of what might trigger a fear response from them. You can't be casual with them , constantly have to read and monitor them for little shifts in them to see if you are near their threshold.
A child wouldn't do this . I would be careful even with your own child playing with the dog . A reaction can be lightning swift . At minimum you always be present to supervise . Kid should not be inhibited , dog needs to be managed , things in perspective , kept fair .

No other kids exposure . Dog may be okay with yours but I wouldn't have her in the mix with kid-friends coming over .
Put dog securely away to avoid a problem.
Always been under my careful watch. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
534 Posts
One of my dogs is like yours and she is always muzzled in public. This is mainly to protect her. She doesn't lunge at people but if someone were to touch her she could bite and I wouldn't want her to get put down for that. We use a Baskerville muzzle and when people come our way she knows to look and focus on me and she gets a treat. You just never know when someone is going to touch your dog unexpectedly- a man once came up behind me while I had my normal dog in a sit at a stoplight and he hugged her. He would have been bitten had it been my shy dog. if people ask why she has a muzzle I just say that she eats rocks, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
"Always been under my careful watch"
great . that is being responsible , but sometimes you don't know what it is that you are watching for.
Example you thought the dog was being protective . In subtle ways you may have been reinforcing the dogs inappropriate reaction.
Now that you think of the response from your dog as being fear based you will be watching and will take another course of action . One of which is not exposing your dog to the set up situation of drawing a stranger in closer .

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
she almost bit a man's hand under your careful watch. she ripped
a lady's shirt under your careful watch.
Yeah do whatever you want with your dog. I gave you one sentence and already you know my dog like she's yours. I know my dog better than you do. I am responsible for what happens. I'll definitely be more careful next time, lessons learned, but there is no way I'd muzzle my dog.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"Always been under my careful watch"
great . that is being responsible , but sometimes you don't know what it is that you are watching for.
Example you thought the dog was being protective . In subtle ways you may have been reinforcing the dogs inappropriate reaction.
Now that you think of the response from your dog as being fear based you will be watching and will take another course of action . One of which is not exposing your dog to the set up situation of drawing a stranger in closer .
I know what you saying here. I guess I was trying new approaches and lucky nothing serious happened. I'll definitely be even more vigilant going forward.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts