German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had asked this on another thread, but I think it got kinda lost in it. And if someone has already asked this, I apologize in advance. But here's my question about bi-colors:

People will look at a dog and say, "that dog is not a bi-color too much tan". I was under the impression through things I have read and a few people I spoke to that it is not the amount of tan, it is certain characteristics in regards to markings that help determine that. So, penciling on the toes, tar heels, and I know something about the vent but I'm on my mobile and don't remember right now lol. But I read conflicting information, some resources say it IS the amount of tan, but others say it's the markings. Here's a chart that's floating around and I want to know what the argument is, or if this is just an incorrect chart.

Sorry to ask like I said, but I just want to set the record straight!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,102 Posts
I'm no expert,but I always thought the main characteristic was a solid black stomach.If the stomach is tan it would be a blanket back.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm no expert,but I always thought the main characteristic was a solid black stomach.If the stomach is tan it would be a blanket back.
That's what I thought, too. I've never researched it or anything, but that just made sense to me. Looking forward to learning about this!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
that chart is the work of Linda Shaw who I have known for decades , writer and illustrator represented in Das Schaferhund Magazin, Schutzhund USA , Dogs in Canada , etc etc --- book coming out soon The GSD standard .
bi-colour is a pattern which exists in black and tan and in sable .

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that chart is the work of Linda Shaw who I have known for decades , writer and illustrator represented in Das Schaferhund Magazin, Schutzhund USA , Dogs in Canada , etc etc --- book coming out soon The GSD standard .
OK great to know the chart is legit. So, then it's not the amount of tan, it's certain markers that classify it as a bi-color then right? I'm lost nothing new lol

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Learning something new! I never heard of the black stomach.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Part of the characteristics of a bi-colour are the toe penciling and tar heels. Hard to see in the illustration above, but they are included even in the faded bi-colour example.

Bi-colour Puppies will normally show a lot more black than a black and tan of the same age - that is why people often can tell a bi-colour puppy from a black and tan one.

As an example, here are some puppy pictures of a litter that had sables and bi-colours. Notice the bi-colour pups all have extensive black on them (way more than a black and tan would have at that age, including black underbellies), and the toe-penciling is quite noticeable. In some of the pics you can see the tar-heels too.

(Wildhaus Kennels P Litter)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I may be wrong but I've always considered Emma bi-color. Her pencilings aren't as pronounced but she has them and she has black heals. Strange part as you can see though is her belly is a silver/whitish but black up until her belly.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Emma does look like she is a bi-colour. The solid black head, the extensive black down to her feet, the toe-penciling - some lighter coloring under the pelvic area is normal. The solid black down her chest is typical of bi-colours.

·
Registered
31,103 Posts
Interesting. That's the second time I heard of bi-color being a pattern for sable as well. the other person was referring to my dog as a sabled bi-color.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Wildhaus that P litter looks amazing !

I have had a sable bi-colour . They are attractive . He went into law enforcement . I have his brother who is a black/tan bi-colour long coat , which also tends to have very substantial bone .

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
So, I have a sable and he has a sibling that is a bicolor. Genetically, he can or cannot carry the bi-color pattern, correct? He is coloring out very dark but two of his sisters, who are also sable are much darker than he is and we thought they probably carry the bicolor gene, where my boy possibly does not....mom is a B&T with bicolor in her pedigree, dad is a dark sable with no bi in the pedigree.

·
Registered
31,103 Posts
Carmen - do you have a picture of that dog?

The woman said Seger was a sable bi-color because of his tarheels and penciled toes. His sire is black and his dam is sable. There is a bi-color farther back in his pedigree not none up front.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I was always taught sable was not a color but a pattern. So how can a dog be two patterns?

·
Registered
31,103 Posts
that's what I thought too, gsdsar but then how can there be patterned (saddle back) sables?

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
Gambit's mom is a melanistic b/t that carries BI. Dad is a very dark sable that carries black. Since Gambit got the sable from dad he had to get either b/t or BI from mom. He may have gotten her extended blanket, the gene that causes en extension of the blanket, but I also think he got her b/t. Gilraen and Gaia got the BI.

Gavin got mom's BI, dad's black and the extension gene since he will be a very dark or melanistic BI.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts