German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two neighbors in my development who have GSD's both registered from great blood one is a black male and the other is a saddle female and they now have puppys,10 of them, yay....ill have more info next week about exact lines in case there is any interest for one on here.
but moral of the story is that the neighbor with the male came to my house tonight and told my wife to tell me that i could have his pick of the litter....
needless to say my wife is on the fence about another one so soon but her word were "I havent said no but i havent said yes yet either" to me thats a yes she just likes to make me sweat it out..
.:wild::laugh::):D:happyboogie::groovy::doggieplayball::gsdhead::toasting:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
lol congrats. and good luck.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Have you talked with the owners about health testing, hips; and are the dogs of good temperament? You may be getting a "cheap" pup, but because this looks like an oops or not really good planned out litter, you are supporting a BYB. Better someone with GSD savvy knowledge takes a pup than one that just wants a guard dog to chain out or turns the pup over to a shelter after the cute puppy stage wears off....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do understand the concerns of BYB GSDs and what may come of them but to me this is no different than rescuing one from a shelter. although they are not "true" breeders and this was a mistake i can assure you that these people are genuine lovers of the breed and will take every step needed for these pups to UTD by the vet and have anything and every thing checked. these are not poeple who mated two dogs just to make a few bucks.....

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I hope not...and hope that the pups can find great forever homes! If you could post the pedigrees on this thread that would be nice:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think maybe some of you are looking too deep into this yes it was a mistake and yes the owner of the male was offered the pick of the litter by the female owner not knowing if he would want it or not so the owner of the male said hey i know a guy (me) who may be interested in taking a dog and since they both know me they agreed that i should have the chance if i wanted one. I will post the pedigrees as i can get them if that helps. I am almost sorry that i posted this i was happy to be able to take a dog in that may never be given a chance because it wasnt born into a well known breeder who has astablished them self even though this dog could turn out to be just as good as any other dog out there.....kinda makes me feel like some people are looking at breeder names, yes i know all about the garantees that come with it, over any thing else. realy seems like when a kid is beat up in school because his clothes are from walmart and not a designer. but that is just my opinion

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Don't feel that way, just go into this with eyes open. And hope that all the pups are found great forever homes...maybe you could help the process by suggesting contract information for the puppy buyers, maybe a 'puppy packet' with information about the developmental stages GSD pups go thru, nutrition, vaccination schedules, practicing NILIF and where they can go locally for good training.
Because in reality, the breeder will probably place them without screening the potential owners carefully.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
, the breeder will probably place them without screening the potential owners carefully.[/QUOTE]

I agree with every thing you say accept for this part I can garantee that these pups will not be thrown out on the street or to a pound. the owner of the female is a retired man who live by him self and always has. he has had GSD all his life and has memorialized the ones who have passed throught his house. he will put the time and effort into placing each and every one of these pups into a forever home no matter what it takes. best way to discribe him is the old war vet that every one knows who seems like the most myserable person in the world till you get to know him and his one true love.... for him its the GSD. I myself am former military and look up to him

·
Registered
512 Posts
I agree with every thing you say accept for this part I can garantee that these pups will not be thrown out on the street or to a pound.
You would be the first person in recorded history to be able to make that guarantee. Even breeders who make buyers sign "return" contracts, rescues that have similar contracts, etc, cannot make this claim.

While you can feel certain that the owners of the sire and dam won't themselves throw the puppies on the street or into a shelter, you cannot say what will happen three years from now when one of the people who takes a puppy, has to move into a no-dog apartment for his new job, for example.

As I said initially, I'm glad you're giving this pup a home. I just wish it wasn't needed in the first place.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
agreed and after rereading what you were trying to say i do agree that i can not garantee that one will never wind up in a devistating situation. I also agree that i too wish this situation never came about but i will do what ever it takes to give them the best chance possible maybe thats a better way to put it

·
Registered
728 Posts
How do you know these dogs have a great pedigree? Have you seen it? Are they OFA certified, are hips/elbows checked? Is this another one of those, "Oh I like my dog, he's pretty, I should breed him with this other person's pretty dog" situations? I'm glad one of them will be alright, I just hope the rest will... *sigh*

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think maybe some of you are looking too deep into this yes it was a mistake and yes the owner of the male was offered the pick of the litter by the female owner not knowing if he would want it or not so the owner of the male said hey i know a guy (me) who may be interested in taking a dog and since they both know me they agreed that i should have the chance if i wanted one. I will post the pedigrees as i can get them if that helps. I am almost sorry that i posted this i was happy to be able to take a dog in that may never be given a chance because it wasnt born into a well known breeder who has astablished them self even though this dog could turn out to be just as good as any other dog out there.....kinda makes me feel like some people are looking at breeder names, yes i know all about the garantees that come with it, over any thing else. realy seems like when a kid is beat up in school because his clothes are from walmart and not a designer. but that is just my opinion
This is why I've chosen to not post very often here unless it's something I know I won't get judged for. BYBs will always be around and what we can do to make a difference is get as many of them into good homes through rescues and making sure they get spayed or neutered to make sure more puppies aren't created, and make sure people are as educated as possible, all the while knowing, in the end people are going to do what they want with their dogs. Supporting the ones that adopt them and take on the responsibility to be the best owners they can is what is important at this point. I got my dog from a BYB with NO hesitation because I knew I would at least give that one dog a good home. Stop jumping peoples asses because they "supported" a BYB. Instead look at it as them doing a good thing and making sure that one dog, will never end up in a shelter.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Glad that you are giving a new puppy a forever and loving home. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts