German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody who's considering buying a puppy should have to foster a 5-9 month old pup for a while.

As probably everyone is sick of hearing by now, I'm getting a working-line pup who should be born Friday.

Sunday I picked up a 7-month old gorgeous West-German Showline puppy that I'm fostering through the rescue. He's so sweet and so smart and so into everything and will not sit still!!!

I think my plan could really cut down on the problem with people buying pups unprepared.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Great idea! And I think they should sit behind the desk of a vet clinic for one day - see how much it costs when said pup just gets a tummy ache!

Congrats on the new pup!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
What a sweet looking Foster! Does he have a name? I think your new rule would help, as well as sitting behind the desk at a vet clinic, and think time at the shelter would be an eye opener too.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
What a looker!! He is gorgeous!! And I think people fostering first would be a great thing, I know it would have made me wiser.

·
Registered
396 Posts
That is a great idea!! Almost like rental pups!! There's an idea for a rescue ... rent-a-pup ... "Think you want a puppy? Try one of ours!" The puppy gets socialization, and people get a trial run of REAL puppy life. Try before you buy kind of deal. :wild:

Ok, yeah, so maybe not ... but it was fun to think about ... (no lectures about how it wouldn't be fair to the puppies ... I'm just playing!) ;)

Carol

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
good rule!! and your foster is a very good looking pup.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I think it's a good rule to,,and he is VERY cute, tho he has that devil in his eye:)

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
But if I do that then I'll never have matching legs on my kitchen table! I need another puppy to gnaw off the other lion's paws and even it out!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
How pretty!

And I agree! Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most dogs that are dumped at a young age dumped around 8 months?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How pretty!

And I agree! Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most dogs that are dumped at a young age dumped around 8 months?
Yup. This is solely based on my own observations, but most of the GSDs I have seen dumped in shelters were 8 months to 2 years.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Thats a great idea!

Oh and that puppy is just to darn cute!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
AWWW that's a cute foster puppy!! GSDs are just so darn cute all the time no matter the age.

I think fostering a puppy would be a great idea, especially for GSDs and other "difficult" breeds. I thought I was prepared for Jackson, boy was I wrong! He is a total handful, much more than I imagined he would be, but he's staying with me forever so he's safe. But EVERYONE wants a cute puppy whether or not they are a dog person, and that's when there are huge problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts