German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
use elevated bowls..don't use elevated bowls...don't exercise an hour before a meal or after.... OI!!

I got the elevated bowls because I thought that helped with bloat...and my husband unknowingly just ran Roxy around the yard after she ate like maybe 20 minutes ago....HELP!
Will she be alright? I usually keep her quiet time before and after she eats..he got home from work ..wanted to play with her and didn't know I had just fed her. ?????

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
She will likely be ok. Bloat is not an absolute going to happen kind of thing. Some GSD never experience bloat. I know some owners are very conscientious of bloat, but it is more in the back of my mind. So I pick a course of action (elevated bowls) and then be aware of symptoms of bloat. Do you know the symptoms? If not, search for bloat. There was even a video to show what it looks like.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
297 Posts
There has been a lot of research done on bloat in dogs, it used to be elevate the bowl, now they say no, I believe. Hopefully someone will come on soon with more information for you.

Important as well is knowing the signs and symptoms of bloat so if your dog were to bloat you may catch it in time. There is a video on youtube that shows a dog in the middle to late stages of bloat, very well presented. The dog was a new rescue, the new fosters didn't know the dogs normal behavior and just happened to catch on video the dog going into bloat.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Lisa, one of the vets I spoke to said she had never had a puppy bloat.
I don't know if she is right, but I am pretty sure you are OK.
Just keep an eye on her.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
She should be ok. Ive seen 1 puppy bloat, however bloat and actual GDV are two different things. The puppy I saw bloat had eaten 8lbs of cat food when it got into the pantry. The kibble swelled up in the stomach and caused what we call a food bloat.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I use both elevated and regular bowls. All of my dogs eat very slow and I don't let them run around right after they eat.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys!!!

thanks guys!! I think she's going to be ok. I did watch the video ( thanks for posting that)...at least now I will know what to watch for.

The hubs didn't know I had just fed her. He's not been home after a meal until tonight so it hadn't been an issue I thought about addressing.

any suggestions on how to slow her eating down? I thought the elevated bowls would help but she still makes short work of her 2 1/2 meals a day.

thanks again for all of your help :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
According to PetMD raised bowls increases chances of bloat by 40% and should not be used unless recommended by a vet, but who knows, it's a study. Bloat can be caused by stress or genetic and so far, no one really knows.

Use a food cube!!!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Buster-Food-Interactive-Large-Colors/dp/B003A23HZK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1368328563&sr=1-1&keywords=Buster+Food+Cube+Interactive+Dog+Toy[/ame]

We also have a bowl that had a puzzle in it, but he learned his way around it.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I never use elevated food bowls. I know people that only use elevated food bowls. In general I think the veterinary stance is now more against them than for them, but I also don't think it's that large of a concern.

I talked to my trainer about his experience with GDV in working dogs, being that they are highly active. He's never seen a schutzhund or an agility dog bloat. He's been around a lot of dogs.

Obviously it happens. It's a very real concern, watch out for it. I would say I've seen 3 GDVs since the start of the year. I forgot, 4, I actually saw my first german shepherd GDV, a 15 yr old male about 2 weeks ago. I'm just trying to say there are so many things that may or may not cause it, I wouldn't spend my life stressing.

If you are very concerned, which again it's an expensive medical emergency, then have your dog tacked. Stomach actually attached to the abdominal wall so it doesn't flip. (still a SLIGHT risk that it might). I am having Berlin laparoscopically gastro pexied when he's 6 months old.

Canine gastropexy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
She will likely be ok. Bloat is not an absolute going to happen kind of thing. Some GSD never experience bloat. I know some owners are very conscientious of bloat, but it is more in the back of my mind. So I pick a course of action (elevated bowls) and then be aware of symptoms of bloat. Do you know the symptoms? If not, search for bloat. There was even a video to show what it looks like.

I'm one who believes bloat is by far and away a GENETIC issue. Dogs that bloat have something different going on than those that don't. You can talk to breeders and some have NEVER had dogs bloat in their lines, while others have it occur fairly commonly. So it that isn't genetic, I don't know what is :)

I've had my dogs on raised feeders their entire lives and of those 4 dogs, on raised feeders pretty much their entire lives NONE of them have bloated.

Probably not good to have heavy exercise right after eating. I also always feed twice a day so they don't eat a massive amount at a single sitting. But think that's more of a common sense plan for just mealtimes in general.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts