German Shepherds Forum banner

Ok or not ? Biting at

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  LuvourGSDs 
#1 ·
the legs ?

Our rescue has this thing with biting & grabbing with his mouth ! Yes, I know they are GS's & they herd this way maybe, but I have really been getting at him for doing this.

I think it's his way to start playing, but our boy don't like it & acts scared somewhat.

If Storm tries to go running in the yard, there Shadow will go to grab at his hind or front leg !

What should I do ?

#2 ·
How old is Shadow and how long have you had him? How old is your son? A lot depends on that...

One thing to do would be to teach your son to chase the dog... Or to put the dog up when your son is going to be running and playing with his friends. Or to redirect your dog when your son is running.

#3 ·
I don't think it's a son, I think it's another dog, at least the way I read it.
Wish I had some advice but I'm watching this thread hoping to learn as well

#5 ·
They are dogs and as such, they play "dog games". The only way to stop them from playing "their way" is to keep them seperated or keep one on a leash.

If Shadow knows what "no" or Leave it" means you can try telling him that everytime he goes for Storms legs. But that means you will have to watch him the WHOLE time and if you aren't present he will most likely do it anyway.

#6 ·
Yes, this is 2 dogs I'm taking about, our boys....hehe, sorry !

I have been getting on Shadow every min I do see him going for poor Storm.

We have only had Shadow 7 months now & just started letting them be out in the yard together with no leads, etc !

Shadow I feel is play & some herding ??? If Storm runs or ties, he gets at him bad.

Poor Storm hates this. I am on Shadow every min.

I don't get this from Storm or Sable our female. They don't bite at each other like this, only when doing major play.

I just wondered if this was common since our other 2 don't do this at each other when one moves.

The out.............has worked, but sometimes it takes a charge with a OUT !

He also has other issue & no one can figured it out, I need advice on his whining while on lead at other dogs !

He just freaks & this has become a major issue. I fear if someone with dogs (which 2 people have been walking at night on our country rd) goes by the house, he might test the fence & try to bolt. It's like he wants to get at them bad & gets all worked up, excited, etc !

He does this on a lead for walks & at the pet stores. He also goes at anything that moves, will freak at toads, etc !

It seems like major prey drive & I have to watch close b/c I'm not sure how he would be 100% with dogs, I know pushy !

Any suggestions in both dept. ?

~Thanks~

#7 ·
Brenna does this to Mollie but Mollie will let her know in no uncertain terms when she has had enough and Brenna knows to back off at this point.

#8 ·
What kind of exercise is Shadow getting, other than playing with the other dogs?

My experience is that if you take a high prey dog out and give him games to play and lots of exercise, that drive oozes out and the dog that you bring back home is so much easier for everyone to live with, including the other dogs. The days that Camper doesn't work (the days I stay home), and we try to skimp on his exercise, he can be a menace to Zamboni. He has to work EVERY day.

It's best when the high prey drive dog is taken out by himself (because otherwise, he's a pest WHILE playing the games). You know all the games: Fetch works (I hear chuck-its are great) for burning energy. We play frisbee and soccer. Go for a run; then play a mentally stimulating game like find-it or hide-and-seek after). Be creative and come up with your own version of games. I'm sure you're exercising your dogs. But he likely needs more.

You know how we always say that a GSD who doesn't have a job will make one up for himself? Unfortunately, I think that herding Storm is Shadow's current job.
He needs to be fired and given a new job!

#9 ·
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomWhat kind of exercise is Shadow getting, other than playing with the other dogs?

My experience is that if you take a high prey dog out and give him games to play and lots of exercise, that drive oozes out and the dog that you bring back home is so much easier for everyone to live with, including the other dogs. The days that Camper doesn't work (the days I stay home), and we try to skimp on his exercise, he can be a menace to Zamboni. He has to work EVERY day.

It's best when the high prey drive dog is taken out by himself (because otherwise, he's a pest WHILE playing the games). You know all the games: Fetch works (I hear chuck-its are great) for burning energy. We play frisbee and soccer. Go for a run; then play a mentally stimulating game like find-it or hide-and-seek after). Be creative and come up with your own version of games. I'm sure you're exercising your dogs. But he likely needs more.

You know how we always say that a GSD who doesn't have a job will make one up for himself? Unfortunately, I think that herding Storm is Shadow's current job.
He needs to be fired and given a new job!

HeHe, yes he needs fired !

I do take for walks & play fetch with his kong ball, but he just seems to like to bite/nip at poor Storm's legs !

He doesn't try it with any of the other dogs, but poor scared acting Norm & I think it's maybe a dominance thing also ?

I will try to play more, but he does tire fast & our female won't stop for anything ! She doesn't bite or nip like this.

Thanks for the tips.

BTW, what is chuck its ?

#11 ·
I've had several fosters like this. I don't think it's typically a dominance thing as much as it's a poor social skills thing (probably excerbated by anxiety). It sounds like he's desperate to interact with other dogs but isn't very good at it, comes on too strong, and freaks them out.

I think the advice so far is excellent and the more exercise and mental stimulation he gets the better. I'd also do a lot of activities with him and other dogs but where he's under more control - walking them together, working on obedience together, playing with toys together - LOTS of praise and positive feedback when he gets it right, calmly pulling him back and refocusing when he gets it wrong. He needs to learn how to socialize appropriately.

#12 ·
Originally Posted By: pupresqI've had several fosters like this. I don't think it's typically a dominance thing as much as it's a poor social skills thing (probably excerbated by anxiety). It sounds like he's desperate to interact with other dogs but isn't very good at it, comes on too strong, and freaks them out.

I think the advice so far is excellent and the more exercise and mental stimulation he gets the better. I'd also do a lot of activities with him and other dogs but where he's under more control - walking them together, working on obedience together, playing with toys together - LOTS of praise and positive feedback when he gets it right, calmly pulling him back and refocusing when he gets it wrong. He needs to learn how to socialize appropriately.
Thanks.........

Yes I feel it's major anxiety or prey drive. Just not sure how to read him with the freaking out & whining so bad when he sees a deer, dog, toad, etc ! He went right for the toad & got it in his mouth till I told him leave it & got the toad from him.

He has 2 different sides of him.

So laid back lazy acting, the most friendly GS around people & sm children, but then he sees a dog or something he wants.............look out, a different light comes on !!!!!

He used to just see a dog while riding in the car & freak !

I'm just not sure what to think of this & when he is like this & pushy with being around other dogs, I can't let him aproach them out.

I keep trying with dog walks, but our dog group don't walk that often & he needs to be out but I feel around people that knows dogs & will trust him coming up to their dogs.

Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming please.

#13 ·
Callie does this to her "Uncle" Cosmo, but not with Aunt Chloe. Cosmo snares and growls at her, but they continue for quite a while at it. Then, when he has finally had enough, he really gets on her and that's it.... for a while, they all rest. It will start back up later. So it's a game for both of them.
Callie won't do it with the Grand Dame, Chloe. Chloe will pin Callie down when she gets to wound up. Chloe also seems to know if Callie is getting too excited and out of hand with Cosmo, as she will step in and let Callie know it's time to give Cosmo a rest.

#14 ·
Barking from a car is more common than you might think. They're in their territory that they need to protect, but unable to do anything about it (cooped up). So it can be a stressor for dogs prone to some anxiety.

One of the things I like to do for dogs that have anxiety issues is take them away from all the other dogs -- away from the house is preferable, but at least, in another room where we're not disturbed. And I teach them tricks. Yep. Happy silly tricks. No stress. Nothing too practical. I don't use the word "no." Just me, a load of snacks and one or preferably two tricks that we'll work on that day. Play Dead (or we call it "take a nap" at my house). Roll over. Shake. High Five. You can buy a book or dvd. I'm sure there are You Tube videos as well.

This accomplishes a couple things. First, it's mental stimulation. Your dog is learning something. Second, he's gettting one on one time with you, but it's not overly emotional gushing time (that can actually contribute to anxiety). It's happy time that's being earned. Three, throughout the day, you shout out to your dog, Wave! Or Salute! and he does it and you toss him a snack (you've taught him how to catch a snack too, right? Without lifting his bottom, right? and if it hits the floor, it's a Leave It, right? Ah! there's three "tricks" right there!).

So he's learning things that he's using throughout the day to earn your esteem as well as treats. The other dogs are noticing this as well (you can bet their watching!). They may even teach themselves the tricks! When you command Sits and Downs, everyone pays more attention to you because you have proven that you give attention and treats. You're the leader. We'll gladly follow you.

My 85 lb adolescent GSD and my 8 lb beagle puppy usually play great together, a little rough, but great. Sometimes, though, it gets too crazy for my taste (SHE usually started it!
). I can tell him "Gentle" and he usually is, for a while, til she starts getting snappy in his face again. But remember rule #1 of training. Don't give a command that you can't enforce. "Gentle" is hard to enforce.

So I don't give that command. I stand across the yard. I then shout, "Camper, Come! Meri! Come! Zamboni (who isn't even involved in the action) Come!" Zamboni immediately runs to me. She knows I have a snack, and she's not doing anything better. The other two look up, realize Zamboni is going to get their snacks if they don't hurry, and they take off running. If they don't respond quickly, I start running, with Zamboni, toward the house, where the big snack container is. THAT always gets them. The best way to get a dog to follow you is to run away from them.

A "Come" I can enforce. I may have to go back and grab the one kid that isn't moving fast enough. I may have to stick a snack at her nose and lure her toward me, or take his collar and bring him into the house. But a "come" I can enforce.

Once they get to me, I can put them all in downs. They can chill for a while. If they were truly out of control, then we'll hang out for a while, and I'll redirect them to the kiddie pool. If they are calm and I think they'll be fine, I'll release them to go back to wrestling.

But I've found that standing there shouting No, Gentle, Leave It, etc does minimal good. I can tell Camper to Wait while I pick the puppy up and remove her from the situation. But eventually, she'll be too big to do that. (And I don't like picking up puppies. I want them to learn to manage themselves on all fours.) I want them to learn that when it's time to stop, it's time to stop. This approach works for me every time. Sometimes, there's a bit of a lag while the wrestlers realize that Zamboni is, in fact, eating their snacks. (I announce it loudly!). Then they run with me to the house at top speed hoping for a snack from the bin in the house! The third dog helps redirect them. Since you have extra dogs, I bet you'll have the same success.

#15 ·
3K9Mom.........

WOW, thanks so much for your grateful advice !

Some things I have done with them each & other things you mentioned, I need to try & work on !

I know I love to take them all bye bye, but how he acts around other dogs out make you look like you have a wacko out of control (mean) GS ! When he whines & freaks people look & don't know what to make of him & neither can I.

My 2 GS's I have had from pups do fine, but my boy Storm is fearful of dogs & will react if a dog comes right for him or makes a bad first move. Working on both boys. Just wish they would get it.

Shadow's reaction in the Jeep is whining not barking when he sees another dog. That's his big thing, whines out of control & gets so worked up !

Thanks so much for all your advice & please share more anytime !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.