German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jackson was 7 weeks old yesterday, as is typical of owning a pup we go outside every 2 seconds and while I don't expect him to ask to go outside, he has figured out to go as soon as he is out the door...PLUS, I have started sitting his butt down in front of the door (and repeating "sit") in order to try to teach him to wait for me to open the door and tell him to "go inside"...OMG...he really is sitting and waiting for me!! At first I thought it was just a fluke, but he did it everytime we went out last night and again this morning.

I'm sure he will be President some day.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Congrats! I was surprised at how easily our pup learned this too. The first week home and she was sitting and waiting to go inside. It just makes you look forward to them learning more!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Your post made me laugh!! I'd vote for him, course I'm Canadian so that may not work.

Jackson sounds like a really smart boy!!
keep up the good work.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think what I liked best is that I was the one who taught him...hubby is typically the dog trainer at our house, but since I have claimed Jackson as my own I want to be the one that teaches him his basics.

Now if I can teach him to quit biting the back of my ankles I will really have accomplished something.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
get a spray bottle and spray him with water everytime he bites your ankles... it really starts to hurt after a while and they get ya in the same spot everytime!! LOL

·
Registered
979 Posts
Go Jackson!!! I love when they learn something new. I was just putting Marley's food bowl down and she now knows to sit and wait before she eats it. She has done this 3 days in a row. It is so cute because she sits but her butt wiggles the whole time until I say "Okay".

I am going to try the sit and wait command to go outside now. Marley is 7 weeks old tomorrow so hopefully she will be as smart as Jackson.

I am getting a spray bottle too!! She is killing my ankles and my kids have to keep their feet on the couches or risk the dreaded "ankle biter".

Keep up the good work with Jackson!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted By: ShellyGGo Jackson!!! I love when they learn something new. I was just putting Marley's food bowl down and she now knows to sit and wait before she eats it. She has done this 3 days in a row. It is so cute because she sits but her butt wiggles the whole time until I say "Okay".

I am going to try the sit and wait command to go outside now. Marley is 7 weeks old tomorrow so hopefully she will be as smart as Jackson.

I am getting a spray bottle too!! She is killing my ankles and my kids have to keep their feet on the couches or risk the dreaded "ankle biter".

Keep up the good work with Jackson!
yeah, we are working on the "sit and wait" before attacking his food dish...he HATES waiting and I have my 10 year old daughter keep him a sit position until we say OK...but it worked so well on my lab mix that no way am I NOT going to train him to do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts