German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, I'm being a bad dog owner today. Last night, right before supper, I started feeling like crap on a cracker. I had a fever of 100.7, chills and an upset stomach. (I skipped supper: steak, mashed 'taters and home made bread. I'm 6'6" and 290lbs, it's not usual for me to skip a meal) My wife looked at me and said, you're getting sick. Cass kept trying to get on my lap and was upset when she had to lay on the floor in front of me, but she had her head on my feet. I don't need a DR. when I have her to tell me when I'm getting something.
Wife had to work today so I was home alone with the dogs. We normally go out and exercise/train or do our thing earlier in the morning. She won't be home until around 2:30 today and the dogs were driving me nuts.
I finally had enough........I put on an extra sweatshirt and my barn coat, got the ball thrower out of the garage and a pail of tennis balls.
I went back in the house with all the equipment. Now, we live in a rambler but have a 12' X 12' deck off the kitchen. I took the pail of balls out on the deck and used the thrower to throw as many of them as I could into the biggest snowbanks I could find. I was able to throw about a dozen balls before I had to go in and sit down.
It took my monsters about 15 minutes to find all the balls and bring them back to the deck. I sat inside and watched them DESTROY snowbanks trying to find a ball, bring it back to the deck and then go get another one.
I did it a second time and it took them another 20 minutes or so to find most of the balls this time.
I'm done, drenched in sweat and just want to take a nap.
I brought them in and they're just going to have to wait for "mommy" to get home at 2:30 to get a walk or a trip to the dog park or something.
Hopefully the neighbors don't think I'm nuts.............but maybe they already do.
If they don't calm down after this, I'm gonna cheat and give them the knuckle bones that my wife brought home on Friday.
I love my dogs, but they're just going to have to understand.

:eek:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sounds like you're a pretty good daddy if you mustered up the courage to go out and let the dogs play even if you're sick! I probably would have layed on the couch and told the dogs "tomorrow". Afterall, they will live! Your pups will be just fine!

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL...They will live. I just get frustrated with the pacing and whinning. I know what they want and I feel bad enough for them.
In the summertime, they get 3 or 4 times the exercise and activity that they get in the winter. I wish it wasn't that way, but a lot of the places we go in the summer are too hard to get to or have so much snow on them in the winter that I hate to have to skip a day.
We started skijoring, but there's no way that's happening for a few days.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
They'll be just fine believe me. I got the flu last week and couldn't afford to take off work. It was all I could do to get the kids to school and my behind to work so they missed their morning walks. Dogs can adjust when we're down and you'll be better soon so don't feel bad:)

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Sorry you don't feel well but don't try to convince us you're a bad dog dad, I know I'm not buying it.
If you were really bad you would have put the balls up on top of your shed or in a tree. :D

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry you don't feel well but don't try to convince us you're a bad dog dad, I know I'm not buying it.
If you were really bad you would have put the balls up on top of your shed or in a tree. :D
Trust me, I thought about it. I figured as deep as I could in a snowbank was as mean as I wanted to be.
I broke down and gave them their knuckle bones. They're going to town on those for now.
She said she's taking them to the park when she gets home. She said I'll be fine, she doesn't want her "babies" to be bored or not get their exercise. Guess I know where I land in the pecking order around here.....sigh!
LOL

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wfe just left for the dog park......I was coughing up blood (not really...lol) and she told me I better make sure and not get any on the furniture.

OK, I might be embellishing for effect.
My wife has done enough for my health........in 2004 she gave me a kidney.......I just hope she never decides she wants it back.

:happyboogie:

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
Well, really! ;) I guess they would have called the ASPCA if they'd found the phone!

In truth, I bet they loved it and wished you would do this every day.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I've had a few posts now, and I hope people are getting the idea that I'm kind of a smart a$$ sometimes.
I grew up on a horse farm that had a lot of GSD's that actually worked for a living. I love my pack and I certainly don't fell that they have it too bad.
I've come across a lot of animals that don't have it nearly as good as mine.
It must be those eyes.........

·
Registered
86 Posts
Feel better. The mangy mutts will understand.

My guy is very active and we are inseperable.

Last winter I came down with a case of pneumonia. I laid in bed for three days before I went to the doctor. Tonka did not leave my side for those days. Don't know how he knew but he didn't drop a ball on the bed, bring my hat, or whine to go out and play.

You do your best and they know it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You'll get the dogs worried if you don't get well fast! You know that a good GSD is like that--feels responsible for you. You and your wife are obviously doing a wonderful job caring for them. When you're feeling better, maybe you could tell us how those GSDs on the horse farm worked for a living.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes she did. I'm very lucky to have her in my life.
It's a long story. Maybe I'll get into it later.
Too tired tonight.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Haha that's what knuckle bones are FOR - when we need a break!

Two days before Thanksgiving, I was watching a bad Katie Holmes horror movie, and was suddenly struck with the screamin' you-know-whats. Initially, I blamed Katie, the movie was HORRIBLE, but that night, I was in a bad way. 101.3 fever, chills, white as a ghost, and vomiting everywhere. I felt weak and fainted once that night.

Here was the problem - my mom has a broken femur, and had JUST had surgery on it. She is bedridden. None of my family care about us, so I was on my own - with a 3 month old puppy! One that needed to go out every hour and thensome! My mom was so upset she couldn't help, she told me after she thought I was going to die. I could not go to the hospital, because then no one would be there to care for my mom and the animals - so I had to take care of her AND Remi while I had a 101 fever and was constantly puking, couldn't eat, and was always about to pass out. It was the worst 5 days I've had in a loooong time. Wasn't worse than the cancer, but BAD!

I was lucky I had a huge supply of bully sticks on hand - I tossed a ton of 'em out on the floor to occupy him! Thank heaven for good chews!

You sound like an exceptional daddy to me!

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's how I felt yesterday. I was having a lot of trouble breathing, been sick and it has been messing with my asthma a lot this last week, but yesterday I had to use my good old nebulizer at work with my inhaler many times after...to be honest, I was afraid to go to bed later that night because it was still hurting to breathe. Luckily the DH was off yesterday, so she got some exercise (he cannot do as much as I usually do, because of his knee problems, waiting to hear if he has to have another surgery), but she didn't get her usual 3-4 mile walk before bed...so she got extra training and a kong of peanut butter and yogurt. Feeling a little better today, but still had the use the nebulizer today, lets hope it's better soon so the poor puppy can get her usual exercise soon (I'm going to go nuts right along with her).
I do hope that you are feeling better!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I hope you feel better. Sounds like your a great doggie daddy!!! :D The dogs will forgive you for not entertaining them for one day.... promise. Get some RR!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My wife has done enough for my health........in 2004 she gave me a kidney.......I just hope she never decides she wants it back.

:happyboogie:
I have to admit, if I gave my hubby an organ, I would always threaten to take it back. My mom used to say, "I gave you life, I can take it back!". I'd love to be able to say to hubby, "I gave you a kidney, I can take it back!".

Sure hope you are feeling better! Your a great daddy!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts