German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all

Hoping to get some advise on oils, atm I'm feeding a Omegas 3&6+9 Blend.
It seems to be a mixture of a bunch of different oils flax seed, olive fish sunflower etc.
From all I've read feeding Omega 3 and 6 needs to be balanced with Omega 9?

I was tossing up wether to swap them to coconut oil or to straight fish oil - or salmon oil.

Or just stick with the one I'm using (It seems to be doing a good job the dogs coats are beautiful) or perhaps a more expensive brand of the same thing but that seems to have a lot of cod liver oil.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Me, too. [salmon + coconut oil]

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I use fish body oils, NOT cod liver oil. Cod liver oil contains a lot of vitamin A which can be toxic in large doses. If you are using a prepared product that contains cod liver oil, they've probably taken that into account when giving dosing directions, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't take a bottle of cod liver oil and pour it on the dog's food every day.

With fish body oils (salmon oil, generic "fish oil", etc) it's near impossible to overdose--if your dog has a clotting problem, I'd use it judiciously, but otherwise, it's pretty harmless. I myself take 6-8 fish oil capsules a day, as it helps my joints and provides some pain relief from an old broken bone injury in my wrist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts