German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still think I have the near perfect pup. Here are my only 2 issues right now that I can really use some :help: with.

1. PULLING on leash ...I don't mean kind of pulling ..I mean I am being dragged. NOW-- this doesn't happen when we are walking the acreage ...when we do that..all is good. No pulling and very nice loose leash. When I take her out on our little road she goes about a foot out of the driveway ..turns and makes a bolt for our yard. I was almost in tears last night she was pulling so hard she couldn't even catch her breath. All I had pictured in my head was she was going to rupture her larynx or something. She has NEVER pulled that hard. She does NOT want to leave the yard.

We haven't been out yet to do much walking per our vets instruction. Our town had a parvo outbreak and he STRESSED not to take her to town to any of the parks or riverfront to walk. He said to keep her in our yard or only do like our housing addition ( we are outside of city limits)

We do start classes next Wednesday at the vets office ...I hope that will help and once she has her last shots..(that day also) I am wondering if we just take her somewhere to walk that she can't see the house???? Or do I just figure ..we are going to be walking our acreage and that's going to have to be good enough?

problem #2. Howling when I leave. She's ok if there is somebody else here but goddess forbid we all have to leave. HOWLING -- it starts as soon as she hears my van and I'm sure it doesn't stop. One day I came home from the store and she had managed to shuffle her crate tray clear out to the middle of the room. Luckily I am only gone for short periods..( to run to the store)...and the neighbors (also own dogs)...are usually gone when I'm gone so she really isn't bothering anybody...but it about kills me to know she's that upset that we are gone.

any suggestions/ tips ???

I have thought about the prong collar when we are walking but I am hesitant on that only because when we walk in our own yard..she's great. I don't want to send mixed signals.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If she's pulling like that I don't think either a choke-chain or a pronged collar are good choices. IIRC, those aren't designed to be constantly tight but just tighten briefly to signal correction; it will lose it's connection to correction if she feels it being tight all the time. I would say a harness could allow you to hold onto her without hurting her. I'm honestly not sure what you could do to ease that besides gradual acclimation. Mine isn't all that keen on walks either and trails behind me whenever we're moving away from the house, but that's it. I used a harness when I first started her out because she would flop on the ground periodically and I could pull her up without hurting her since she was small and light at the time.

My Shadow used to howl when left alone as well. Many suggestions I heard were to leave a radio on so she doesn't feel as alone or even recording your voice to ease leaving. What I ended up doing was putting peanut butter on/in a Nylabone treat toy whenever she went into her crate to distract her as I was leaving. She still probably howled when she realized I was gone but she learned to associate being alone with getting a tasty treat. If she isn't allowed in certain parts of the house you can help her get used to being separated but still within sight of you, and briefly leave her for a few seconds as if you're fetching something. You can also do that while leaving the house while keeping her inside, and then coming back in after a few seconds/minutes.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've read, but not had to try, doing aleash pop and "NO" then changing directions and reenforcing the heel will help. or even circling the dog back around the way you want to go.

Sometimes my dog won't walk past something and pulls backwards. I just changed directions and walk to the obstacle again until he walks past it.

I have two smaller dogs and they do pull as you described sometimes throwing up....I have gentle leader harnesses for them and it seems to work. One day I'm going to try the leash pop, no and changing directions with them. but all my time right now is spent at work and training the puppy.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got one of those gentle leads...but still can't figure out how to put it on her right...I want to take it with me to classes next week and see if somebody there can help me. I'm more of a hands on learner than trying to watch a video of somebody showing me how to do it :( but that might be my next try. I've told my daughter we aren't going to force her to walk the road right now. We'll just keep walking the yard and practicing and then we'll venture out again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've got one of those gentle leads...but still can't figure out how to put it on her right...I want to take it with me to classes next week and see if somebody there can help me. I'm more of a hands on learner than trying to watch a video of somebody showing me how to do it :( but that might be my next try. I've told my daughter we aren't going to force her to walk the road right now. We'll just keep walking the yard and practicing and then we'll venture out again.
If you have a harness you use in the car that could serve as well since the dog can't hurt herself pulling on it. Petsmart sell ones that have a clip on the back that you can attach a leash to, and they're great in the car with a seatbelt attachment.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a harness..maybe I need to go back to using that. Again, I'm not sure whether I should FORCE her to walk the road...or continue practicing the good walking behavior we have going in the yard and hope we can make it out to the street at some point?

I did read a couple of other threads where other people have pullers that want to go back to their own yard and home..so maybe it's kind of normal?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how old is your dog? she probably pulls to go home because
she doesn't know anything else because she hasn't been off
your property. put her in the car and take a drive. then take
a walk with her in the new surroundings. work on walking her
off your property. start slow, short distances. treats and lots
of praise.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
she will just be 4 months the end of this month. I had been waiting for her to get her last shots next week due to the vet saying..stay out of town till she's done...our town had a parvo outbreak resulting in deaths of several dogs. We live outside city limits in a small rural area.

I am hoping once we can get out to a different area she will walk better. I do take her for car rides so she can get used to that and noises associated with car rides.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If I remember correctly your dog is about 4 month old, right? So prong collar, no, definitely not! It seems to me that she's insecure because she doesn't know that much.
When I got my puppy she was afraid of all the cars and motorcycles that passed by and she refused to walk back to the car because it meant going in the direction of the road (=cars & motorcycles).
So I sat down with her, feeding her her breakfast and lunch, always facing the road. She got it pretty soon that it's nothing to worry about and after a few days she walked back to our car like it was nothing.
Just show your puppy that it's okay and that there's nothing she has to be worried about. Be patient and don't put too much pressure on her (prong collar or such). She's a puppy, she just has to see that nothing bad happens on her way to the road.
Good luck!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was really hesitant on that prong collar. I see it used a lot and it looks like it's an ok thing...but I think you are right..not yet anyhow.
we are just going to take it slow. I am hoping come this next week I'll be able to put her in the car and distance her away from our house and try the walk again.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Try using a head collar it doesn't look as harsh as a choke chain even though none of them are harsh if used properly :) she may not like the head collar at first but give her lots of praise when introducing it to her and treats to connect that it is a good thing not a bad thing the best thing about the head collar is you wont have to correct her she will correct herself as she pulls and will learn that pulling makes her uncomfortable and will eventually stop pulling.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Why do dogs pull and strain while on the leash? To go forward. What if pulling and straining meant everything stopped? They would start to realize pulling does not create a result that they want, which is going forward. Each time your dog starts pulling, stop and call him back to you. As soon as the leash is slack, go forward. They do start to realize that a slack leash means you get moving, a taut leash means the walk stops. Actually, watch this very carefully. This guy is very good with explanation. There is a Part I and a Part II. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT8VDgR_Koo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts