German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if everyone has heard this story yet but about a week ago a Ohio woman mother of two was killed by the family gsd 100lb male in her backyard. The dog warden said we'll never know what set this dog off, The dog was put down about a day later but I don't understand why they wouldn't have waited to do testing some kind of testing on the dog b4 putting him down. The news also never said what breeder the dog came from, which I think would be good for some people to know who might have a sibling from the same litter.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
710 Posts
Probably money. I would have done the same thing.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
So sad. I would have thought they would have done a necropsy, but it sounds like they only did rabies testing.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Very sad. This is one of those situations that is just bad for everyone. I hope the family can get through this.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Not sure if everyone has heard this story yet but about a week ago a Ohio woman mother of two was killed by the family gsd 100lb male in her backyard. The dog warden said we'll never know what set this dog off, The dog was put down about a day later but I don't understand why they wouldn't have waited to do testing some kind of testing on the dog b4 putting him down. The news also never said what breeder the dog came from, which I think would be good for some people to know who might have a sibling from the same litter.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
The dog has KILLED his owner and you want it to be more tested before put to sleep?

What kind fo tests are you talking about?

What I would like to know is where that dog came from.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
They should have temerament tested him before putting him down. That's the only way to know what set this dog off. Would be curious to know what kind of life the dog had; socialized, trained, isolated, spoiled ("he is my baby") etc.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
A dog kills a woman and you want to temperament test that dog?

Sorry, but any dog, killing a human being, is BEYOND any temperament test.

Put a Bullet into the head of the dog or PTS... it's the only option!

·
Registered
624 Posts
A dog that kills a human being has to be euthanized!

That dog is not safe around any one. When a dog gets that bad, unfortunately there is no other option for any one's safety.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Testing Useless

It does not matter what set this dog off. It is too late to do testing. The dog's other littermates may be problematic or not. Just because he attacked does not mean his littermates will.

This is a horrible story and scares me.

·
Registered
624 Posts
No GSD should be inherently aggressive. That is an unacceptable fault!

The dog must always be calm, gentle and loyal to its owner. No one wants a dangerous dog!

·
Registered
624 Posts
The dog has KILLED his owner and you want it to be more tested before put to sleep?

Tests for rabies, disease and any signs of abuse or neglect. The dog needs to be put down but tests should have been performed to ascertain what set the dog off. If its genetic, no one wants to breed a vicious dog; if its environmental, to determine what made the dog kill its owner. Such information would help the public and prevent future tragedies.

I think that's not too much to ask in the way of a determination of the dog's state. Again, that's not give that dog a reprieve, its to make the public safer.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Tests for rabies, disease and any signs of abuse or neglect. The dog needs to be put down but tests should have been performed to ascertain what set the dog off. If its genetic, no one wants to breed a vicious dog; if its environmental, to determine what made the dog kill its owner. Such information would help the public and prevent future tragedies.

I think that's not too much to ask in the way of a determination of the dog's state. Again, that's not give that dog a reprieve, its to make the public safer.
Rabies is a No-Brainer and doesn't even need to be mentioned. It's the law.

Temperament test on the other hand? For what? Not even the bullet is worth it's money for a dog like that.

What environmental stimulation could possibly make a dog snap?

Show me one neglected and abused dog that has ever killed his owner? Most of the time, in the really severe abuse cases, the dogs NEVER snapped.

If a dog is going for the kill, something is not right with that dog, period!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts

I think a lot could be learned if the dog was available for additional testing. Like thyroid, or something that might be helpful to vets and dog owners regarding health issues.

Anytime someone posts on this forum that their normally happy go lucky dog is becoming aggressive, the first advice provided is to get it to the vet.

I'm certainly not saying the dog should not be PTS. Personally, I think it should be. But if it were my dog and this was abnormal behavior (which going for the neck would be - I could see leg bites or arm bites, but not an intentional lethal bite to the neck) I would want a full medical evaluation done first. I'd have to know why. And I wouldn't want the death of a family member (in this case the mother) be in vain.

·
Registered
624 Posts

Temperament test on the other hand? For what? Not even the bullet is worth it's money for a dog like that.

Show me one neglected and abused dog that has ever killed his owner? Most of the time, in the really severe abuse cases, the dogs NEVER snapped.

If something is not right with the dog, you want to find out what made it snap. You ask good questions and that's why we need answers to keep the public safe! That's worth a lot more than a dog that has killed its owner. Tests can provide people with the information to make sure other dogs don't turn on their owners. We do that in human criminal cases and it should be done where the dog is responsible.

·
Registered
387 Posts

Everything you just posted is what would make me want to figure out exaclty what did make the dog kill. That way people could do everything in their power to prevent that situation from happening again. I don't know if there is any testing that could have shed more light on that or not.

I agree with you that you have to put the dog down after it kills a person but without any knowledge of what led to this people will assume GSD are unsafe and will turn on their owner. Maybe there is no type of testing that could have shed light on what lead to this horrible situation, but if that is the case it will further backup people assuming that the GSD can turn on its owner at any time.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I think a lot could be learned if the dog was available for additional testing. Like thyroid, or something that might be helpful to vets and dog owners regarding health issues.

Anytime someone posts on this forum that their normally happy go lucky dog is becoming aggressive, the first advice provided is to get it to the vet.

I'm certainly not saying the dog should not be PTS. Personally, I think it should be. But if it were my dog and this was abnormal behavior (which going for the neck would be - I could see leg bites or arm bites, but not an intentional lethal bite to the neck) I would want a full medical evaluation done first. I'd have to know why. And I wouldn't want the death of a family member (in this case the mother) be in vain.
Honestly, once you are dead, you are dead. If I'd be there and witnessed an attack like that and had a gun on my hands, I'd shoot the dog.
No family member in their right mind would say "Sure, take the dog for testing." they are way to grief struck to be rational. The dog is going over to the Authorities, held in quarantine and I doubt anyone outside Authority figures is getting near that dog.

I can see a necropsy, but definitely no temperament testing. Once the dog has killed, the fate is sealed and rightfully so.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Everything you just posted is what would make me want to figure out exaclty what did make the dog kill. That way people could do everything in their power to prevent that situation from happening again. I don't know if there is any testing that could have shed more light on that or not.

I agree with you that you have to put the dog down after it kills a person but without any knowledge of what led to this people will assume GSD are unsafe and will turn on their owner. Maybe there is no type of testing that could have shed light on what lead to this horrible situation, but if that is the case it will further backup people assuming that the GSD can turn on its owner at any time.
A GSD doesn't turn on its owner! GSDs are not as I observed, inherently aggressive. They should be calm, gentle and loving dogs! I love the breed and its horrible when something goes wrong with a GSD vis a vis its owner. Unjustified assumptions about GSD behavior are no more valid than they are for pit bulls. Any dog can be dangerous. What we usually don't hear is about the dogs that are truly "man's best friend."

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
It would be interesting to know as much as possible why the dog attacked. It is really rare for a GSD to kill an owner, so many of us might want to be able to pin point it to something physical, like a brain tumor or rage sydrome, or something genetic -- seriously weak nerves, fear, super high drives/aggression.

We might want to know if this was a puppy mill dog, or BYB, or if it was a show line, or working line, was it a rescue, was it raised from a pup by this person, or if it was treated like a child rather than a dog, or if it was fed gun powder to make it aggressive, if it was abused, or if it was otherwise poorly managed so we can look at our dogs and say, that won't happen to me because...

Whenever tragedy strikes it is human nature I think to want to explain it. That is not all bad. I mean if the dog was a weak nerved dog, unsocialized, and being kept mainly outside as a guard dog, we can say, see--we shouldn't do that with these dogs.

But the sorry fact is that whatever we do to try and figure out the dog, at least environmentally reeks of blaming the victim. And we really don't want to do that.

It is sad.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts