German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you allow your dogs on the couch??

It's always been a rule in our house, that our dogs are not allowed on the couch, Killian thinks were just plain evil because our cats are, because they are tiny little things. If I had a five pound Chihuahua I probably would let it cuddle on the couch, but my pups are SO DANG BIG!! Killian is 68lbs at 6 months, and Jazzi is 72lbs at 5 years old..... <3 My big loves.....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Guilty. Rennie gets up and snuggles with me. She's so sweet I couldn't possibly tell her no! Ridley just figured how to get up on the love seat. He always brings a toy and from the way he sits you can tell he's quite proud of himself.

We should make them stop but we can't seem to bring ourselves to do it!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My GSD is only allowed on the couch if he is invited. Normally when hubby is sound asleep on the couch, I 'invite' Hondo on the couch.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
No Wolfie is not allowed on my furniture, except the couch in the kids playroom. It smells anyways, and my 19 year old son doesn't even notice. LOL

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
no pooches allowed on the couch here light colored couches and dogs don't mix haha. However I do allow Dodger on my bed, but only when he's invited, if he jumps on without permission and he gets off right when I tell him too he has to do puppy push-ups in order to earn his right to be back on my bed. If he takes his sweet time getting off he's not allowed on the bed that night.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, not allowed on furniture or carpet
On carpet? Does that mean certain rooms are off limits? That is kinda the way it is for us, because the upstairs is off limits, and upstairs is all carpet. <3 Downstairs is nothing but hardwood or tile.....

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Guilty, Guilty, Guilty :) that means all three of them, plus the cats..nothing like having a bunch of animals snuggle on the couch:)

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no pooches allowed on the couch here light colored couches and dogs don't mix haha. However I do allow Dodger on my bed, but only when he's invited, if he jumps on without permission and he gets off right when I tell him too he has to do puppy push-ups in order to earn his right to be back on my bed. If he takes his sweet time getting off he's not allowed on the bed that night.
Same here with my pups, we have light tan couches, and were the same way about the bed, Jazmine is only allowed to share when Hubby is out of town and she needs permission! <3

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
My husband started it with our last dog. So yes, however we have a two couch covers so while one is in the wash the other can be on the sofa. Our dog seems to run warm, and does not like to sit next to us, too much body heat. So when we are on, she is off.

·
5,627 Posts
Pups are on the couch with me too (and the bed). It's the only place Kaiser actually settles in. And there's no better way to save on heating than to cuddle with 2 GSDs and a kitty.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Guilty also, couches, chairs, everyone shares. :)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Yup. We have black leather couches and have had Rocky, Cash, and countless foster dogs on them. They've held up fabulously. They were cheap-o Rooms To Go couches too.

The only dogs that were not allowed on the furniture were the fosters who wanted to challenge us. They had to learn that being on the couch is a privilege, not a right; and you earn that privilege by submitting to the humans' authority.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark is not allowed on the couch.

Stark is not allowed on the bed.

Okay... I lied.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Yes. But he listens if we tell him "off" ( when we have company, etc...).

·
2,967 Posts
They are all allowed to come up, but I expect them to get off if I don't want them there. We bought our couch with the animals in mind. :) Brown microfiber hides all manner of dirt. But we also keep it covered with throws or blankets.

Our futon coach has a plain navy sheet over it, and our bed has a blanket over the comforter too. This way when it gets too dirty or hairy I can just throw it in the washing machine...and Voila! Clean again!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
No, Shasta's not allowed on the furniture. But that doesn't stop her from sneaking down to the basement and jumping on the sofa. You see how she tries to hide from me so I don't make her get down.

If there's no throw on the sofa, she puts her paw over her face to hide.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts