German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ziva is decently trained and has good recall and leave it but she also has a lot of prey drive. So this evening husband had Ziva out in the front yard with him while he was washing his company work truck. There was some frisbee along with the washing. I here husband recalling her while I was cooking dinner. So I go to see what's up. He tells me a red fox came sauntering down the middle of the street right up by our driveway. Z saw it and started to bolt. He called her and she stopped dead before she even got but a few feet and came back to him and laid on the lawn as the fox ran off. Being 5 in the evening I was surprised the fox was out and about and didn't smell Ziva. We have had reports of several sightings in the last few weeks. We were so proud that she didn't chase the fox and just laid back down and chilled.

Our pride didn't last long...

Ten minutes later I hear the recall again and again and again. I run outside. There is Ziva across the street in the neighbors yard totally blowing off husband. I call her and she blows me off. I'm like WTH! I gave a very stern I mean business recall to the house. Ziva slowly starts to wonder toward us as husband is moving to retrieve her. I ask did the fox come back? Nope! It was the darn neighborhood wondering cat.

Fortunately at 7 with bad hips Ziva can't run fast for any great distance anymore so the cat was not in any real danger of being caught or harmed. The danger was in Ziva bolting blindly across the street. Not to mention our frustration she blew off the recall. She lost her yard privilege for the rest of the evening. And yes...she pouted.

So my dog will recall off from a fox but not a cat....did I mention she hates cats...SMH!

·
Super Moderator
6,420 Posts
Don't feel too bad,it happens to most of us occasionally when there's tempting critters to chase and no fence.My dogs recall better on hikes in the woods off of our property.I think because at home they see it as their job to run off intruders.
My three either have a tether or e collar when we hang out in the yard.I only trust them 98% ;)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surprised no... annoyed yes about the cat chasing. There are two outdoor cats on our street. They both drive her insane. Usually a simple leave it when in the front yard is enough if we see the cats or notice she is about to bolt for a squirrel or bunny. I am just amazed she didn't blow off the recall to chase the fox as she has never seen one before but she did over a cat she sees all the time. If allowed she'd chase any animal. Crittering isn't allowed. When she was young and we walked a lot in heavy woods she got nailed good on her e-collar more than once for chasing deer. She learned not to pretty quick. She still wants to but she is controlled pretty well verbally now. Except when it comes to cats apparently. Training is never finished ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,420 Posts
Samson is 'collar wise' and has amazing self control when wearing the e collar.He hasn't been stimmed in years.If it's not on he will chase small critters beyond the property line sometimes.Cats and rabbits.Bigger creatures(deer,turkeys) are warned off but don't make him crazy like the little quick ones.Our circumstances are different than yours of course.
The reason he needs the collar is because he delights in rushing down to the edge of the yard and scaring the pants off of passersby.We don't have very many so it's really impossible to practice and condition him to a different state of mind.I've mused before about hiring people to walk back and forth in the road to help me train.Because of the trees and foliage we can't see or hear anyone until they surprise us popping into view.Now if someone has the audacity:) to walk in the road he will grumble about it but hold steady.

Reactions: Springbrz
1 - 4 of 4 Posts