German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. We are adopting a new furbaby into the family on August 15th. There are 3 males in the litter, all solid black. They are ASL/Czech working crosses, purebred GSDs.
We're not sure which one the breeder is going to pick for us, but they are all showing some promise for sporting (NOTHING bothers them).
Anyways, off of my tangent... The breeder is doing a theme rather than letter for their name. And the theme is powerful mythological figures. The other two boys owners picked out "Thor" and "Loki" which didn't surprise me :p But I'm stumped on what to choose.
I've been mulling over "Fenrir", and the name of his son "Skoll." Also pondered "Kerberos," which was a Norse hellhound name I believe? But I'd like some more ideas.

Sooo... Question is. What are the names of some masculine characters of mythology? Suggestions from all cultures are welcome, just let me know who the person/creature is and what culture they're from (I'm curious).

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Kratos, Hades, Titan, Poseidon, Perseus, Helios, Hercules, Zeus, Menelaus (sp), Ares

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Apollo, Artemis, Hermes, Cronus, Erebus, Adonis, Achilles, Thanatos, Hyperion, Orion, Talos, Morpheus, Zelos, Castor, Agamemnon, Amycus, Asterion, Creon, Midas, Priam

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who are Cronus, Kratos and Zelos? I like the sounds of them xD
Also just thought of Styxx, after the river in the underworld (not a being, but maybe close enough to please the breeder?).

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Sorry, too many names to list all of their meanings. If one sounds good to you then you can look it up.

I really like Amycus, Castor, Kratos and Helios

I like Styxx

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I am on my phone otherwise I would copy and paste their meanings.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhh. I'm on my tablet, so having the same issue xD. Amycus sounds interesting as well... I'll have to add some of these to my "possibles" list, for sure!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I recently watched the movie "Beautiful Creatures" about a witch but she prefers the word castor so when I think of Castor I think of witchcraft and that reminds me of black magic and that reminds me of a black dog. I could see owning another black GSD later in life named Castor.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't gotten the chance to see that movie yet, I keep hearing it's good though!

My first thought when all the pups turned out black was Sinister, because my mind instantly went to you! Lol! Hadn't been on in months and still thought of everyone here :p
Then I thought of a few others before the breeder let me know her theme. So now I'm just trying to find a less common name from mythology that will be fitting, and be able to stand up to his brothers (;

·
Registered
196 Posts
Also just thought of Styxx, after the river in the underworld (not a being, but maybe close enough to please the breeder?).
Cronus was the father of Zeus, Hera, Hades, Poseidon, etc. He overthrew his father, Uranus, to become king of the world. In turn he was eventually overthrown by his son Zeus.

I had never heard of the other two but I looked them up.

Kratos and Zelos (Zelus?) are the sons of Pallas and Styx. Kratos is the personification of strength and power while Zelus is zeal. They were the brothers of Nike (Victory) and Bia (Force) and they were part of Zeus' retinue.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for clearing that up! I'm really liking Kratos!

I also can't help but ask for an opinion on Acheron (the 2nd river of the dead in the underworld/son of Atlantean goddess Apollymi), as well as Archon (king of Atlantean gods)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not sure I like Styx. There is actually a god of the river Styx but Styx means hate.

I like Hades and Hermes.
Hades, of course, is the god of the underworld. He drew the short straw which is the reason he got stuck with the underworld. Again not a great meaning but the black made me think of him.
Hermes was the god of travel, trickery, and athletics.

Of course you could always go with Pan. He was the god of shepherds. :p

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It helps them keep track of their litters, I believe. This particular one is a very broad category though. Mythology from ANY culture? So long as it is masculine? So many options :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Does it have to be a god? If not, how about "cerberus', the dog that guarded the entrance to Hades?

Jelpy

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Also if you check Celtic mythology there is "Chuchulain" (pronounce-wonderfully- as Cur-hoo-lin)

Dagda, god of life and death

Arawn, the god the otherworld

Belenus the sun god

Aeron-god of slaughter-perfect if you are into BARF

Lyr/Lir -god of the sea

Brea-listed as a god but of nothing specific

Reo-Celtiberian deity

That gives you more options.

Jelpy

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
then we have Agni-Hindu god of fire

Dyeus-sky father god

Ashur-assyrian god of fertility

Dev-Persian god of war

Donar-teutonic god of war

Morrigan is a tamil god of war

Oro-phoenician god of war

Seth-Slavic god of war

Dewi-Welsh Celtic god of dragons

Math-Welsh Celtic god of mages

Gwydion-Celtic god of warriors

Tyr-the original Norse god of war

Vidar-Norse god of vengeance

Amon-Egyptian god of fertility-a good name for a foundation stud

Amor-Roman god of love

Angus Og-Irish god of love

Frey-scandinavian god of fertility but also the most hated house in westeros:D

Indra-vedic god of fertility

Kama-hindu god of love

Kane-Hawaiian god of fertility

Dylan-welsh celtic god of the sea

Myrddin-Welsh celtic god of magic

Jelpy

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
It helps them keep track of their litters, I believe. This particular one is a very broad category though. Mythology from ANY culture? So long as it is masculine? So many options :)
Our power keeps going off and on...storms here...losing Internet a lot.
I sent a PM, I think? And posted it once. Not sure if you got it? It was just a name suggestion as well.

Thanks, Kat:)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought about the variation of Cerberus (Kerberos). Also thought about his 2-headed brother's name lol (can't remember it now). Hard part with those, despite how much I like them, is finding a nickname xD
Loving all the suggestions though! So keep em coming! I'm dicussin all suggested names with matt :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts