German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shilo is my submissive 2 year old shepherd and me o my! i got a shepherd to have a loyal well train confident protective dog, but shes a anxious, submissive, un focased reck.. shilo acts as if i dont exsist when people or dogs are near! and shes a submissive reck! she acts like dogs are her savior!

First she barks at them! and pulls and wines but mostly barks and lunges! so people thinks she agressive! then she gets close and goes into submission! to ANY dog! if the dog growls, ect she runs and start barking again!

And she dosnt listen to me! Im not even there to her!

The most pathetic thing is theres a **** zue next door, who one of these days.. ooo... anyways, it runs at shilo and attacks her face because shilo goes to the floor!! and shilo pees her self! and lets this little S*** beat her up! it pisses the F*** out of me!!

Im so sick of shilo being submissive! its not how she should act! and she shouldnt care about dogs or other people!!! i should be her life! but its like im not there!

Im scared shell never change.:mad:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
wow....

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it makes me feel bad for her, because she has scars on her from this little dog, and i cant stop her from going to it when they let that little thing out, i wish shed stand tall and ignore it. i dont want her to get her self hurt! because she doesnt listen to me when dogs are in her presence. she is the most amaxing well trained dog ever! and knows all tricks, when no ones around.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
maybe you need to start doing some distraction training along with confidence building. find out what motivates her with distractions and go from there. its tough. We had that problem with one of the dogs we fostered a while ago before military life. it sounds to me like she's lacking in confidence and thats why she hits the deck the way she does. She gets reactive but goes all submissive when she actually gets face to face. She's nervous and scared. what do you usually use to train her? try that with distraction training. get her around dogs that are pretty calm and collected and see if she'll relax and somewhat overcome her fear and go from there.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what ive been doing is eye contact with smelly liver treats, always positive, i always remain calm so she will, but its like i have her focas when no ones around, but as soon as a dog is anywhere near she freaks out trying to get to them, and its emberassing trying to walk her around dogs cause shes jumping and pulling all over, shes so smart almost to smart, she almost has the "im to smart for you that i dont want to do it" attitude, because when she doesnt feel like doing someting, she wont.. but say when my father walks her and ill be in front, she starts freaking out, shes not calm when im not by here side either. even if no dogs. its hard and ive tryed alot of things..

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
one thing i can suggest is when she starts getting reactive like that, walk the opposite direction. When she calms down, praise her. and try again. Desensitize her. if the treats and eye contact wont work in that instance work up to that. If she's removed from the situation she'll learn that behavior doesnt get her what she wants which is to meet the other dogs.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh alright, we will have to start trying that, thank you very much. we are thinking in putting her in classes, there is this place ive been looking at, theres two classes id be looking at, the advanced and the shy dog classes.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i would start with the shy dog class but i would also suggest looking into a private trainer that would have experience in dealing with fear and submission in dogs. It would help greatly to know other methods that might help you help her become more confident. The change direction when she starts reacting usually is advised also for aggressive dogs. Its a pretty good help with reactive dogs with consistant training.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i would start with the shy dog class but i would also suggest looking into a private trainer that would have experience in dealing with fear and submission in dogs. It would help greatly to know other methods that might help you help her become more confident. The change direction when she starts reacting usually is advised also for aggressive dogs. Its a pretty good help with reactive dogs with consistant training.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright i will do that :) ill keep ya updated thanks very much

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
no problem. I totally understand the frustration the comes with a reactive dog whether its fear, aggression or something else. time, patience and constant training will get you results. Its trying sometimes but well worth it in the end. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts