German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard zoots name and my kids screaming so I ran outside to see my GSD jumping all over the neighbors poodle (i think). One of my kids let the GSD out the door while raking leaves and did not have her leashed. What I saw when I got outside was my Zoot playing, nipping and jumping at the neighbors dog. She showed NO signs of aggression at all but was obviously nipping and jumping. It wouldn't be that big of a deal except that the neighbors wife is afraid of our dog and their 15 year old was swinging at Zoot trying and screaming at the top of his lungs. His actions made Zoot all that much more excited. Zoot finally ran across the yard and into the garage when my wife and teenage son got to her - I think she knew that she was in trouble.
I will be having a stern talk with the child who let our hyper puppy out unleashed and unobserved.

What is your advice?

Just for your information we have been struggling with dog aggression from Zoot when she is leashed for months now. She will see a dog and show teeth, bark and lunge. We have been walking away, turning her around, stuffing her with treats to distract and putting her in a plotz. I drove to petsmart just to work her around some other dogs this afternoon and I was able to calm her down enough to meet another puppy for a few minutes with no incident.

What more can we or should we do?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I would go over and apologize and explain the situation.

Then, I would say, "since Zoot wants to play with your dog, do you think it would be okay to take them for a walk or two together, so they get to know one another more?" Then do it.

If they decline ask if just introducing the two with supervision would be okay.

Also - work on recall and boundries with Zoot - with a lead at first until she is 100% reliable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would also keep Zoot around other dogs, instead of isolating. This does not mean playing with them, but having other dogs in her realm, while you treat and praise her for her good behavior. If she gets reactive, then redirect her with a high value toy or treats. Many times putting a reactive dog in a platz will make them feel vulnerable, so I would have them sit instead.
Where you are training, is it private lessons, or are there other dogs you can work around? I would try some controlled environment socializing if possible.
You want to nip the reactivity in the bud now. Too bad the kid had to scream and ramp Zoot up. I wish kids were trained on dog body language, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The training used to take place around other dogs but the last couple of months it has only been us. I may need to have my training sessions rescheduled when others are there. We we are with others the training takes hours because the trainer will bounce between dogs to give them breaks. I guess that is what we need again.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would do that, and you will learn so much watching other dogs getting worked and the problem solving that goes on. I'd much rather do group training than private. But SchH isn't about dog/dog socializing, Zoot will have to learn NOT to be distracted while doing obedience with another dog on the field.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Try socializing him on unfamiliar territory. Dogs are more confident in their own surroundings and may be more prone to their aggressions there.
I have found that Jax is his most obedient when he is in a new environment and meeting new dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts