German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I noticed that Atticus didn't want to eat ... which is not like her at all. She wasn't jumping about, and she was really calm and lazy. She also had diarrhea which was out of the norm. I called the vet, and explained the symptoms and they said she probably just has an upset stomach.

I came home at lunch about 4 hours later, and she still didn't want to eat .. and she wasn't even excited to see me ( at least she wasn't showing it)

I called the vet, and again they said to wait a day or two and if the situation got worse, to bring her in immediately. I didn't like the answer, and brought her in at about 4 this afternoon.

Sure enough, did a swab, positive for parvo. I think we caught it really early ... but every thread I have read talks about IV fluids, my vet just gave us some antibiotic she is supposed to get twice a day, pepto bismuth for upset stomach, pedialyte for electrolytes, and some prescription dog food to feed her starting 24 hours from when she got home.

Erin and myself have been cleaning the house and disinfecting everything in sight with bleach and water ... How do we proceed to give her the best chance possible.

I did all the research, I followed all the rules, vaccinations were all on schedule ... and she still got it ... I'm so upset right now.

Please advise me on how to make this better, and give my poor girl the best chance at pulling through this **** awful disease

--Tyler, Erin, and Atticus

·
Registered
31,962 Posts
When did you vaccinate? I am just curious. The reason why they want a series of vaccinations, is that no one knows when the system is no longer working under the dam's immunity. If it is working under the dam's immunity, then the vaccinations do not work. So if she got vaccinations at six weeks and ten weeks, and was still under her mother's immunity at that point, and she was exposed at 12 weeks, I guess she could still get it.

Some vets want to go with a three week schedule.

I am sorry your dog got this. Hopefully she will recover rapidly.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Will be praying for your little girl Atticus.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Poor puppy! Hope all goes well. I would definately check out a second opinion if you feel that your vet isn't being thorough.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
You can order parvaid online and have it shipped immediately. I lost a puppy to parvo and that was despite his being hospitalized on fluids, meds and even a blood transfusion. I think you should find another vet that will hospitalize and run IV fluids - dehydration happens very quickly. My guy ended up getting septic which I think is what killed him in the end. Treating parvo you really need top notch supportive care and what your vet has offered is just not going to do it. Yeah she might make it even though that is minimal treatment but if something goes wrong - well you just don't want to go there. Get her to another vet.

I had my own thread on here back in September 2009 when I lost my little Kuma. It was very detailed.

Link - http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/120488-parvo-need-positive-thoughts-please.html

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Our last gsd got parvo as a puppy even though she had been vaccinated. She was hospitalized on IV fluids for a couple of days. I hope Atticus gets aggressive treatment and makes a full recovery. Poor little thing, it's rough

·
Super Moderator
32,403 Posts
Wow, good thing you didn't follow the vet's advice and wait a couple of days! I've never had experience with parvo, but I've read enough tragic stories on here, including Michelle's poor Kuma, to know that I would want to give my puppy every possible chance to pull through. Please find another vet, and good luck.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Sending positive thoughts and prayers to Atticus. It can absolutely be nobody's fault when a puppy gets parvo. You can do everything right and it can still strike; that's the worst part. Hoping and praying everything goes well.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Sending thoughts and prayers for Atticus :hugging:

·
Registered
349 Posts
This morning I noticed that Atticus didn't want to eat ... which is not like her at all. She wasn't jumping about, and she was really calm and lazy. She also had diarrhea which was out of the norm. I called the vet, and explained the symptoms and they said she probably just has an upset stomach.

I came home at lunch about 4 hours later, and she still didn't want to eat .. and she wasn't even excited to see me ( at least she wasn't showing it)

I called the vet, and again they said to wait a day or two and if the situation got worse, to bring her in immediately. I didn't like the answer, and brought her in at about 4 this afternoon.

Sure enough, did a swab, positive for parvo. I think we caught it really early ... but every thread I have read talks about IV fluids, my vet just gave us some antibiotic she is supposed to get twice a day, pepto bismuth for upset stomach, pedialyte for electrolytes, and some prescription dog food to feed her starting 24 hours from when she got home.

Erin and myself have been cleaning the house and disinfecting everything in sight with bleach and water ... How do we proceed to give her the best chance possible.

I did all the research, I followed all the rules, vaccinations were all on schedule ... and she still got it ... I'm so upset right now.

Please advise me on how to make this better, and give my poor girl the best chance at pulling through this **** awful disease

--Tyler, Erin, and Atticus
Aww Sweetie, first off BIG HUG to you and I am sorry your pup is sick.
I know you must be so frightened right now but please hear me out.

I had a Labrador who was over a year old who had gotten Parvo. It has been many years since that time (Duchess pulled through just fine and lived another 15 yrs!) however, 1 tsp of infected stool can infect something like 65,000 dogs if memory serves.
I remember asking my vet if it was possible that flies could pass Parvo to dogs since they go on stools all the time. She said she never thought about it, but interesting possibility. Who knows?
I can only go by what you said here, but if you are word for word about all you had said to your vet, she told you to wait and see (?!) how pup was going to be, then once she knew pup had Parvo she is sending her home with you?
Please, do not walk, RUN to another vet. She needs to be on IV fluids and medically supervised. When I first noticed the symptoms with Duchess she was at my vet's within the hour. My vet was the one who said "Eileen, get her in here."
I hope and pray all will go well, but honestly, I'd get another vet, but it is my opinion.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
You followed your instinct when you did not follow the vets advice and took her in instead of waiting. Follow your instinct again and seek another vet asap!

Prayers and hugs to you.

·
Registered
420 Posts
First of all, hugs to you and Atticus. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this awful disease.

As others have said, get to another vet ASAP, preferably one with a 24/7 hospital. My Rottie/hound mix Kona came down with parvo about a week after we rescued her. She was 4 months old and had 2 of her 3 parvo vaccinations. Kona was in the hospital for 4 days and given excellent supportive care, with labs run every 12 hours, appropriate meds, etc. Kona survived and is a happy, healthy almost 2 year old dog. I know there are people who have cared for their parvo pup at home, but it is my understanding that the dog has a much better chance of survival if they are in the hospital. I know hospitlization is expensive, so obviously you have to take that into consideration, but IMHO it is well worth it if at all possible.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
This is basically the same what everyone else is telling you, if it was me I would find another vet.

When Nikki tested positive for parvo my vet started treatment immediately and later on that afternoon we transferred her to the emergency clinic which is open 24 hours. She stayed with them for three days before she was allowed to come home.

Nikki had a mild case and never came down with that horrible diarrhea, she vomited once and had some loose poop but they still treated her aggressively. They also did blood work every day at the hospital.

Get better soon Atticus! :wub:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I had an Alaskan Mal. that had it and that is what we did. We had caught it in time and it was a weak strain. We just did pedialyte, antibiotic, antidiarrhea meds plus some pet tonic from our vet. He bounced back quickly. It is an air born disease so just walking your pup before the vaccines are complete can do it , even just being in the yard, it travels like the wind.
I thought the IV is for dehydration only, so if you caught it quickly the pup wouldn't need it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had an Alaskan Mal. that had it and that is what we did. We had caught it in time and it was a weak strain. We just did pedialyte, antibiotic, antidiarrhea meds plus some pet tonic from our vet. He bounced back quickly. It is an air born disease so just walking your pup before the vaccines are complete can do it , even just being in the yard, it travels like the wind.
I thought the IV is for dehydration only, so if you caught it quickly the pup wouldn't need it?
She hasn't shown any crazy symptoms yet, she has just tested positive. She is still drinking water just fine, except we've subbed in pedialyte ... but she is playing and seems to be back to her regular self. I'm guessing that it might get worse before it gets better ... but as of right now, I'm not sure an IV would do too much since she's consuming water fine still at this point.

I don't care about the money at all ... I just want whats best for my dog.

And as for finding another vet, not possible unless I want to drive 500 miles to Winnipeg. I live in a really secluded town in Northern Canada ... we're lucky to even have one vet, but there is no shopping around.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts