German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-WARNING LONG...--

Since getting Kratos to the vet for his 12 week shots, and an over all check on health we have noticed that Kratos has begun to uh...Come out of his shell or whatever. I'm not even sure what to say. He has some pressure sores on his hind feet because he's (as one person called him) a 'slant back'. My trainer, whom I fired, was explaining to me that he already has hip problems and probably will be disabled for his ENTIRE life. I was destroyed.

I went to the vet with the expectations of pain meds, needles, x-rays. Horrible things. The vet checked out his hips and then to my relief told us that he's a bit stiff, and its merely his bloodlines. We'll test him at 2 years unless there is some obvious painful reaction to his hips. I almost kissed her. At about 1 year of age he should stop being a 'slant back'. I've already in the last two weeks seen him straighten out more, his hind feet are still a bit woobly but he is clearly gaining strength.

This is more of a rant than anything. Since getting him on some meds to help with his pressure sores (and a skin infection of which the name is too long for me to POSSIBLY remember.) He has become...Well like I have read. At first I thought I had a defective GSD. He wasn't playful didn't eat, didn't do much except grumble and cuddle.

Now he's bitey, he doesn't greet me with loves he greets me with TEETH arg the TEETH on him! I've shoved toys into his mouth and scolded him (no bite!), he actually grabbed my dress I was wearing the other day and almost ripped it off me (its a strapless sundress). Thankfully it was just my husband and I home. Hubby was greatly amused. I was not so much.

He eats like a horse now, we had to switch him to a different food (and chose Fromm) because he refused to eat his Royal Canin and would just nibble.

He's defiant....He was a velcro dog at first and now he's becoming a 'flower child' (hubby's terms) as he sniffs our new back yard. Though the potty training is going well. Heck even training is going well. When we train he is devoted to me and my tastey good treats I have for him. He doesn't get distracted as easily as other dogs I've seen. Unless you count being distracted by dogs outside and forgetting he has to finish up outside :wub:.

I'm just wondering if its possible to count this as his 'terrible twos' as we've begun to dub it. I'll tell him "NO!" and get a (not exact quote forgive me) "arro woo wooor WOOF -grumble mumble-" I've NEVER been talked back to by a dog!

Hubby freaking laughed at it, which didn't help now Kratos thinks its okay. My perfect puppy has turned into a landshark with 'tude. Argh!

On the side note; here's some pictures:

Care riders are now great fun!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
GSD's will keep you on your toes at all times ;) Continue being firm yet fair and I think you'll really see him blossom in listening and respect as he grows :) Main rule: a tired dog is a good dog and spending time playing and training really helps the bond grow

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Oh my goodness what a cutie. :) I've had talkers and talk backers before. Sometimes it is impossible not to laugh. Can you maybe redirect him into talking for you. We taught Shadow to tell us about it. Turned it into a game so it wasn't so much talking back but became story time. We would walk in the door and he would tell us all about his day.

Good luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh he has NO problem telling us about our day, but he doesn't enjoy being scolded and has to tell you about it (as well as tell you about how the cat beat him up how life isn't fair because he was in his kennel to sleep while the cats sleep on the bed..how its not his fault he spilt the water dish...clearly it jumped up and spilt itself). He's more verbal than a husky I swear!

I train and try to take the energy out of him, but he seems to have a large gas tank. 15 min a day walk doesn't even begin to tire him out.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Oh he has NO problem telling us about our day, but he doesn't enjoy being scolded and has to tell you about it (as well as tell you about how the cat beat him up how life isn't fair because he was in his kennel to sleep while the cats sleep on the bed..how its not his fault he spilt the water dish...clearly it jumped up and spilt itself). He's more verbal than a husky I swear!
OOh I just love it when they are verbal like that. :wub: When Shadow started talking back I would turn it into story time. I'd say oh is that right tell me about it. He soon forgot what he was doing, forgot about being a butt head and instead would be telling me his sob story. Once he was done with the story we could go back to what we were doing and he would be much better behaved. He just wanted me to listen to his side. LOL As he got older he would make hugging and kissing sounds. He is the only dog I've ever had that would really give kisses and not licks.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
15 minutes a day? 15 minutes is good but try 3x 15 minute walks a day and lots of play time with chasing toys, etc to get him good and tired. If he wants to stop and rest, then allow him

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
OMG...what a face and those ears :wub::wub::wub:

Those puppies keep you on your toes that's for sure.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't think that will hurt him? We've been told no more than 15 mins of exercise and I personally don't think its enough. He plays in the house and I'll roll the ball and let him go get it and bring it back. He doesn't generally run when he does that more walk. Sometimes he'll run and pounce but we try to minimize his running. Though the other day he tore around the back yard like it was no one's business.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
No, if he wants to stop (starts panting heavily or flops down) then it's time to stop, otherwise they need to get that energy out. A fun walk or play is not hard exercise, keep to their pace and you'll be fine

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That puts my mind at ease. The darn trainer had me so spooked. She told me how much she hated CKC and I explained I really don't care about CKC or non-ckc we wanted his anxieties addressed. She was giving him anti-anxiety things without my approval (some of them had alcohol which I was not impressed about). She also kept mentioning about how terrible his hips were and how he was a disabled dog.

So of course we talked to the vet about this all for a second opinion. The vet explained that his anxieties are because of the fact that (at the time) he was just freshly away from his pack, had come over on a ferry and was confused and lost. He'd get into the swing of things. And that his hips he would grow into and that if there was no pain there was no worry. But not to allow him to jump/run too much. Which honestly is understandable.

Ever since Its been getting the paranoia out of my mind. I was sobbing daily over the horrible trainer who hated CKC so much. She told us the vet we chose was a wretched vet and was all for CKC. When we talked to the vet about this all the vet almost died of laughter. She reassured us she's for the health of the dog first and foremost and owns a couple of mutts herself (as well as a show dog). She put my fears at ease and gave Kratos a pretty miuch clean bill of health, save for the pressure sores.

I know hubby doesn't always listen to her and plays with him harder and he sleeps well. So I think I am going to just relax more and let him have a bit more fun, and play longer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG...what a face and those ears :wub::wub::wub:

Those puppies keep you on your toes that's for sure.
Lol he loves his ears being played with. I've given up telling people to be gentle to his ears. When he's tired the one that isn't standing will go completely limp. The other does a combover thing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OOh I just love it when they are verbal like that. :wub: When Shadow started talking back I would turn it into story time. I'd say oh is that right tell me about it. He soon forgot what he was doing, forgot about being a butt head and instead would be telling me his sob story. Once he was done with the story we could go back to what we were doing and he would be much better behaved. He just wanted me to listen to his side. LOL As he got older he would make hugging and kissing sounds. He is the only dog I've ever had that would really give kisses and not licks.
I love him talking and will encourage it. I've just never ha a dog blatantly tell me off in such a way that I actually have given him pause. It's hard to keep a straight face especially when he then turns and tells at the cat...like the cat made him do it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Pish posh on the idiot trainer. Find a better trainer and listen to what the vet and breeder tell you, either should hopefully have references for trainers near you

Most of all, enjoy your puppy :) Take lots of photos and spend time with them just playing, they grow so fast they'll be adults way too soon

·
Registered
283 Posts
LOL :laugh::laugh::laugh::eek::laugh:

You description is that of Emma letting me know her opinion of getting scolded for something. I have a very hard time not laughing - my wife almost busts a gut sometimes at her responses to me. Reminds me of my daughter when she was three - I got told NO then the pouty lip - brook my heart to explain otherwise to her. She is now 25 and does not remember ;):p

And that picture - my how sweet. I can see the caption. "Honest Mommie - I did not do it - twas that cat:cool::D"

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
That puts my mind at ease. The darn trainer had me so spooked. She told me how much she hated CKC and I explained I really don't care about CKC or non-ckc we wanted his anxieties addressed. She was giving him anti-anxiety things without my approval (some of them had alcohol which I was not impressed about). She also kept mentioning about how terrible his hips were and how he was a disabled dog.

So of course we talked to the vet about this all for a second opinion. The vet explained that his anxieties are because of the fact that (at the time) he was just freshly away from his pack, had come over on a ferry and was confused and lost. He'd get into the swing of things. And that his hips he would grow into and that if there was no pain there was no worry. But not to allow him to jump/run too much. Which honestly is understandable.

Ever since Its been getting the paranoia out of my mind. I was sobbing daily over the horrible trainer who hated CKC so much. She told us the vet we chose was a wretched vet and was all for CKC. When we talked to the vet about this all the vet almost died of laughter. She reassured us she's for the health of the dog first and foremost and owns a couple of mutts herself (as well as a show dog). She put my fears at ease and gave Kratos a pretty miuch clean bill of health, save for the pressure sores.

I know hubby doesn't always listen to her and plays with him harder and he sleeps well. So I think I am going to just relax more and let him have a bit more fun, and play longer.
That trainer sounds terrible. I take my dogs out 30-40 min at least 3 times a day, to wear them out. Even the puppy tags along. She just lay's down and watches when she gets tired out. Usually its my old guy who lay's down though and the puppy keeps going and going. LOL

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Oh my goodness what a cutie. :) I've had talkers and talk backers before. Sometimes it is impossible not to laugh. Can you maybe redirect him into talking for you. We taught Shadow to tell us about it. Turned it into a game so it wasn't so much talking back but became story time. We would walk in the door and he would tell us all about his day.

Good luck!
lol I love this

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Your puppy is adorable times ten. that ear...LOL

Jelpy

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
At 12 weeks puppies should not be enticed to exercise until they are tired. Keep it short. Let the puppy be a puppy. Let him play, let him jump, let him run in the yard. Don't force him to trot along with you on a sidewalk for any length of time, and don't force him to jump up into the SUV, etc.

12 week old puppies are NOT defiant. Most of the problems people have with their dogs is because they do not understand what is driving a behavior and they react to the behavior that they have put human dimensions on. Most full grown dogs are never defiant. Dogs do something that we don't want them to for a number of reasons, one is that they do not know it is something we do not want them to do, another is that they are bored or lonely and they have gone to where their person's smell is and start chewing on something there because chewing helps him. It is a self-rewarding behavior. The pup is not defiant. The pup is vocal but is not talking back. Please be careful how you react to your dog dependent on how you translate his behavior.

I got Tori back from my brother at 15 weeks old because she was supposedly defiant (mostly about house training). There is not a defiant bone in her body, and she has never soiled my house. He just did not know how to manage the puppy.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I'm not sure you should be letting a puppy who is getting pressure sores and has poor muscle mass and what sounds like some structural issues run and jump to his hearts content. I really would listen to your vet and avoid high impact exercise until he builds up his muscles.

If he's getting pressure sores I would also avoid concrete and do 3 short walks a day. I would think 3, 15 minute walks would be fine as long as you allow him to rest if he needs too.

ETA: Went back and looked at his pictures and it looks like he is down in the hocks in front? http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/245274-introducing-confident-kratos.html#post3225234

There are some threads about that on here with supplement and exercise suggestions.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Omg, I just can't stop giggling.

He is so cute!!! and so silly looking!

as for the landsharkpiranha phase, welcome to the club. Mine now yelps and leeps at me =*(

1 - 20 of 37 Posts