German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Killians vet told us today Killian is a tad on the skinny side. Because of how easily she can feel his spine.... He weighs 68LBS at 6 months old.... He eats six cups of Blue a day, we've been recommended by the vet and the breeder to move him to 10 cups a day.... He is just a big boy.... Talk about eating a lot.... AGH... He is going to go through a lot more food now!! LOL!!

What was your babies weight at 6 months?

:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
10 cups a day is absurd. I've had a problem with vets thinking my dog was too thin because they are used to seeing fat dogs.

If his ribs are not showing and hip bones are not sticking out he is not too thin. You should be able to easily feel his ribs even seeing the last 2 would be acceptable. Lean is good for GSDs especially growing pups.

Now if he is eating that much food and losing weight then look into medical cause for that but he does not look like he needs to gain weight.

There are a few threads for 6month weights, etc.. here is one
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/85872-how-heavy-your-gsd-6months.html

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I have NEVER fed a dog ten cups a day of anything. Four cups is what my boys got (as adults) generally. My girls, some of them, because it is cold now get 2.5 cups twice a day. But they are between 55 and 72 pounds. Babsy gets 1 - 1.5 cups twice a day. Jenna who is 72 pounds gets 2 cups twice a day, and Heidi gets 1.5 twice a day -- she weighs 75.

The rest get 2-2.5 cups twice a day.

Puppies eat more, but usually not ten cups. I think if my dog was eating that much and still looking skinny, I might consider a different type of food.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
he's in perfect shape IMO! thats just too much food! Especially for a growing pup! Stick with what you're doing. He looks fine.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, IMO, I thought he was just in one of those "Tall" growth spurts instead of the "short and fat". Kinda like how kids do... I think I'm gonna stick with how he is eating now. Give it a month and see then. Thanks for the link btw.... <3

·
Registered
475 Posts
At 6 months Shadow (female) weighed 70 pounds, she wasn't as tall as she is now. Now she is 27 inches and 85-87 pounds, she is now 15 months old.

10 cups is a lot of food, perhaps you should be feeding a different brand.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
My boy was in the lanky phase for a while. People always thought he was too skinny. Just keep an eye on his weight and make sure he isn't getting too thin. Sometimes you need to feed a little more and other times a little less.

Even if you were feeding something super crappy like Ol Roy 10 cups would be a ton of food. Stick with what you're doing

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Gunnar is built just like this and our vet (who has a pack of her own GSD's) said that he is built exactly like he should be. Not too skinny, not too heavy. He weighs 90lbs on the dot. (27 1/2 tall and 31 1/2 long) He is 3 1/2 years old.
10 cups of food a day just sounds wrong. I feed Gunnar 4 cups a day and Cass gets 3 a day.
I'd go with my gut.....................so to speak.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
He looks like a healthy, lean GSD to me. Your dog looks like a dog should look. My Sasha is very lean, around 66lbs and you can feel her spine.
My Great Dane's spine and hip bones stick out at thin 130lbs LOL. He bruises me when he sits on me. My vet is pro-lean, healthy dogs and she said as long as only the large rib bones show, not the smaller ones, then the dog is just lean, not thin.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 4 month old female and we just bumped her up to 4c/day. She is just under 40 lbs.

Of course, the vet looked me in the eye and said I should be able to feel her ribs but not see them. I have the world's fluffiest dog, and said so. She said, "Exactly". So I don't think she wants me over feeding...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts