German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holly started limping slightly on a rear leg last week. She would not jump up on bed and then started peeing in the house. Not acting well, but not bad. Eating, drinking, everything normal, but just "off". The grandkids are here and they had been doing a lot of high throwing of the ball and as soon as I saw what they were doing, I told them to stop. Holly was jumping up 4 feet in the air, straight up to catch ball. AAURGH.
Of course my first thought was " oh no, HD is showing up".( my first shepherd came up lame on a back leg at less than a year old and had the worst hips I ever saw, before or after. )Holly is almost three and has had ZERO health issues. With the peeing, I was thinking bladder infection... Also thinking ACL tear in that bad leg.
So, off to the vet today... He got her showing pain on palpating her right hip area and also lower back. Also thinking, oh ****, now besides HD it could be her spine.
I had already collected urine, they tested that and it was fine.. So, that rules out bladder/kidney issues. So, now I am thinking HD or spinal issues.
So, her spinal xray showed no issues, no narrowing of areas between vertebreas, no extra vertebrae. Ok, now for the hips, which by now had me in dread mode. One look at her exrays and I was over the top estatic, her hips are AMAZING..... At least 60% coverage in the acetabulm, full round femoral heads.....
So, he did a rectal also. It turns out to be an Ilipsoas injury, which is the inside muscle of the back leg. So, of course it was hurting to squat down and pee, so she was holding it for so long and then had to pee and was inside the house. It will heal, just takes a few weeks. Typical injury for overextending legs when jumping/running. Very typical in racing greyhounds and Frisbee dogs....
Oh, my heart is so happy tonight. Dr also said she was in perfect weight 62.6 lbs, very well muscled and lean........... Rest and some anti immflamitories for a week. Self limiting, but no chasing balls, etc.
I can't believe such awesome hips and to think she did not come from a fancy breeder, just local family that I liked their dogs.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I'm happy for you that the injuries were not as bad as you were fearing.
This is good educational information, I have not heard of an injury like this before. Hope Holly feels better soon.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Glad that your girl is ok and that she has a healable injury.

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
Jax was diagnosed today what that exact same injury. At least it's just crate rest and laser therapy. I was in a panic that she reinjured the knee she had an acl repair on a year ago.

My vet, an ortho, put her on crate rest for 2 weeks and strict rest for 6-8 because he said they were hard to heal in a dog. Plus tramadol, previcoxx and laser therapy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts