German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the day we are dog sitting another Gsd for 4 days and I cannot wait. Bella and him get along great most of the time but I need to keep a watchful eye with him and my cats as he is curious and wants to play with them and they do not want any part of him lol. My issue is he is a high energy big ole boy and Bella is a clam girl who hardly likes to play so I'm going to have my hands full here with 2 Gsd 3 kids and the 2 cats but I embrace the chaos lol:D and all while the hubby is away... We we're thinking of getting another Gsd so this will be a good test for us well me.. Any suggestions on what type of activities I should do with him he is very comfortable with me and knows me well and obeys my commands but I'm used to a couch potato type of dog. I have always tried to engage her in play but to no avail. When Diesel is around Bella is like another dog she's happy playful and just in heaven and I love to see my girl like that... Such a wonderful sight to see plus diesel is such a Ham just a stunning looking long haired Gs.. I just cannot wait for him to come visit but I'm also nervous b/c he can be a handful and a Barker which Bella is not so wish me luck :D going to be a fun and wild couple of days!!!

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
See if they'll play fetch together. I play fetch with 2 of mine together and once I've thrown the ball, I pick up the flirt pole for the 3rd and they are all happy. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definitely try that who knows she might learn from him and that would be great, Thank you...

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Be sure to take pictures of them playing so we can see!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! And I will take pics I'll probaly be a wee bit picture happy lol:D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Have a crate ready for feeding times, keep them separate. Have a crate ready for when things get too wild. You may need to keep the visitor on a leash at first to make sure everyone is ok with the new dog. I wouldnt let dog get out of your sight. No roaming about the house unsupervised..its amazing the trouble a new/visiting dog can get into.

Have fun, but be vigilant.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ponyfarm thank you that was my plan if I have to go anywhere he will be with me at all times and while roaming the house I will be right on his tail and feeding will be separate so thank you for the reminder sometimes in my excitement I will not think of things that I know is key while having a visiting dog :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Ponyfarm thank you that was my plan if I have to go anywhere he will be with me at all times and while roaming the house I will be right on his tail and feeding will be separate so thank you for the reminder sometimes in my excitement I will not think of things that I know is key while having a visiting dog :)
Its fun to babysit friend's dogs, but its alot of work. The dynamic becomes wild! By the time they settle in, its time for them to leave. At least that has been our experience as my dogs are young and the dogs we have watched are young as well.

Things will happen that you might not have expected. I would put away all toys. Pick up all trash cans. Basically baby proof the house.

Dont be afraid to put dogs in crates when you need a break! lol

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Polygamy I completely agree and thank you again for all the advice and when they all get wild kids, dogs, cats it's a time out and separate corners for all including mom lol:D

·
Registered
766 Posts
has the potential to be a pretty awesome 4 days. good luck!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oops Meant Ponyfarm this auto correct gets the best of me all the time lol...:crazy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts