German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am feeding Max raw food ( CommonSense Dog food ) its a commercial raw food diet, its manufactured in Washington state, my breeder recommended this diet.

Anyhow, three days ago I noticed he had some diarreah plus he started refusing the food as well. I practically hand fed him so he would eat something.

Now being the third day, he is really not eating much , unlike before, yet I know he is hungry as he wanted to steal some raw chicken off the kitchen table!

with his raw food, he pushes his plate away from him! I kid you not! . and he does this " burying" motion with his nose! as if he was burying it with some imaginary dirt.

I am not sure if perphaps he is still sick ? or he doesnt want his raw food anymore?

tips?

thanks everyone.

·
Super Moderator
18,685 Posts
Giardia or coccidia can cause soft poops and also affect appetite. You might have him checked for internal parasites. Giardia needs a specific snap test since it can be difficult to find in a regular sample.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just email the breeder last night, awaiting a response.

I forgot to add to my original post that he just got vaccinated last week. Diarreah came in 3 days after that. He also got chcecked for paresites last week as well and had none

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Yes, diarrhea can be a side effect of vaccinations. Which ones did he get?

I would try some chicken breasts (no skin since he has diarrhea) or some ground round steak (hamburger is too fatty) from the grocery store or local butcher to see if he will eat.;)

Moms:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Giardia or coccidia can cause soft poops and also affect appetite. You might have him checked for internal parasites. Giardia needs a specific snap test since it can be difficult to find in a regular sample.
Thank you for the information. My puppy is suffering from this condition. My vet didn't give any information when I told her that he was not eating well. All she did was give me lists of different dog food manufacturers. Also, she said raw food is toxic for dogs and should be avoided. I fed all my dogs in past raw food and never had a problem. This puppy is possibly infected from the kennel (BYB).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts