1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE EARS ARE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT.........

Oh boy.......

Refusing to do any thing. It's like we never took him to obedience schools. WOW.

Refusing to listen to any commands. Just wants to BALL BALL BALL all the time.

And forget about listening to mom and dad when it's time to come into the house after potty.

I've had more fun at the dentist.

:help::help:

HAHA.

This dog, LOVES to play "Watch me catch the ball in my mouth, so mom and dad can praise me" ALL NIGHT LONG!

And if you stop, you get eaten.

Only putting him in the crate helps, but he's in there while we're at work 3 hours on, out for lunch an hour, and 4 hours back in till end of the day.

Playing fetch isn't really fetch with Jaxon. It's "throw me the ball, i want to go get it so you can chase me for the ball for an hour".

We still love him to death, and I now see what folks were talking about with the high testosterone days. I've had some tough ones over the last few weeks.

He's 7 months old today.

Something else we havent been able to break just yet. Getting up like a human on the counter.

Now everyone tell me why I'm an idiot.

HAHAHAHAA.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He got really high strung for a day or so. Aggressive a little bit with me. Grabbed hold of me a few times. Challenges me constantly for position. I think he's starting to feel his big dog inside a little bit. Maybe I should snip the little joker. LOL.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Lol oh my. His style of fetch sounds like mine's style of fetch :) I wish she would bring it back haha

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Oh boy...perhaps sign up for obedience class? They are actually alot fun:)

Handsome boy!

Hey, I would not allow him to munch on those cooked bones...they splinter & could cause serious injury to the gut.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Lmfao Oh my.... I'm sorry he's being a brat but he is sure has that cute bad boy thing going on. X3

Have you guys tried NILIF? And as for the fetch thing have you tried playing with two balls? Throw one and when he gets that one get his attention with a second ball and throw it on the opposite direction, and in theory he should drop the ball and go after the second one, then you just go and pick up the first ball and repeat. It's not exactly fetch but it's easier than you running around after him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
How to you reward him if he does come into the house when you call him?

Challenges me constantly for position.
That suggests you haven't defined your roles. You dog doesn't realize it should respect you. You are like another dog to him. He will take your space, bark and bite you. And you seem to find that humorous.

Getting up like a human on the counter.
He will act humanly if you allow him to. He'll sleep in your bed and sit in your chair. Where is the line where you say enough is enough. This is a dog. It needs to be treated like a dog.

Playing fetch isn't really fetch with Jaxon. It's "throw me the ball, i want to go get it so you can chase me for the ball for an hour".
Get 2 balls. I'm betting the dog will return when he sees you waving the other in the air. You can also get a ball on a string which gives you something to hold onto to if you can't get the ball from his mouth. You should teach him an drop it command too.

This dog needs an owner who understands him and can satisfy it's drive. A bit of discipline and pack order is essential for strong bounding dogs. You need to take charge now or the dog will grow up with no boundaries or limitations.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep.

Couple things. We practice NILIF constantly.

He just graduated from a very good obedience class. He literally won us 900 dollars worth of prizes in the class for winning so many obedience contests during the school.

We don't let him bite. He just does sometimes. He's super smart. When we get some high value treats, he does EVERYTHING we say. It's when we're playing ball that he's ornery, or when we just go in the yard. It's a giant party for him.

We tried the two ball thing.

We do 'Drop it' and he does it after a little bit. With a high value treat he drops immediately.

He doesn't get on chairs or the couch unless we invite him. He isn't allowed upstairs in our bed. Kitties live up there. There's a gate on the stairs.

I am trying to ween him from treats for the ball to praise. He gets praise alot and he loves it. He will make me play catch the ball in the house for hours just so he can get more praise. He brings it back, i say "drop it" i throw it and repeat. Praise.

He knows he's a dog. I say 'crate up' and he crates up.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i read somewhere "when your dog isn't doing what you
want you have to stop and ask yourself what am i
doing wrong".

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, in all fairness a juvenile german shepherd is NOT the most predictable beast on the planet.
haha.
i love my dog, i like sharing with other gsd wardens. haha.
thanks for all the comments folks
and doggiedad, YOU are right!!
its much harder than rearing human children.

lol

·
Registered
268 Posts
Your dear, handsome boy is smart. He knows his commands. It's a mind game he'll grow out of if properly addressed.

Everyone's got a valid opinion, but not every perspective works with every dog. I tend to lean somewhere between Monks of New Skete and Leerburg, probably toward Monks with an agreeable dog and more toward Leerburg with a dog going through the bratty stage.

Love, love, love that you play ball with him. Never chase! Never. If he doesn't bring it back, turn your back and ignore him. Gave over. Walk away and act disinterested. He loves to play! He'll be back... If he comes with the ball, praise! If not, but he comes, ask him "where's the ball?" and teach that.

Counter-surfing is a stage that has to be dealt with severely. Okay, maybe not severely, but very, very seriously. That is akin to "my bed", "my chair" and "my food" business in the pack order.

Do you have your high pitched happy praise voice and your calm, low, serious voice already in place? All I have to do it let out a long, low, calm "hmmmm" and give the dog a look and he/she knows and feels bad for whatever he/she has done (ONLY when caught in the act). When I see remorse in the dog, I redirect him/her to something he/she CAN have or do and give a very plain praise, genuine, but not super excited. I don't want misbehavior attempted just to have the redirection give the dog a high.

Good luck! And, I recommend snipping. Get it done. You'll be glad you did. All the argument over when is "best" doesn't matter when you're losing the pack structure battle.

What a handsome, awesome boy :wub:

EDITED TO ADD: Teach "gentle" or "no-bite". Keep it up. If he's regressed, whenever his teeth get on you, you must give your reprimand in a low, serious voice. When there is remorse or focus, give something he can bite. If the biting is an issue and he won't control his mouth (because he's challenging his pack order...just a little bit at a time, everywhere he can), go harder core with NILIF and some of the Leerburg "Groundwork". Sometimes a little "groundwork" does wonders and it doesn't have to last forever. It's like a kid being on restriction for a while until they get the message!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well this is going to be no help at all, but maybe you could get him to do some washing up when he's up on the counters like that! He looks like he needs a job!;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
In 2 weeks, my puppy will also be 7 months. I could have written your post. I'm laughing because humor is required to get through some of the mischief caused each day. I'm home with our guy so don't think for a moment that less time in the crate would make a world of difference. It would just be a higher frequency of "reminding" the puppy about the rules they already know. We're waiting on the snip-snip too, but we definitely re-think that plan every day!

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, thanks for Myah. We are a NILIF household and I have my tones in place. He shows remorse and I do just as you are saying. We taught him bite inhibition from 7 weeks old. He never bites hard any more. There was one time around his 14 week mark that he got too exicted and nipped mama a little too hard. she cried and he felt so bad and was sad about it. when he puts his teeth on me its more communication. Like, I wont get the ball the he's dropped, he'll try to move my hand with his mouth, but so gentley. THe tough thng im dealing with his keep ing him from putting his massive two front feet up on the couch when he brings me the ball at night. i'm completely exhausted from work, and i then sit on the couch and play catch with him for hours. i have too, the poor guy is in the crate all day, when i get home its dad, ball ball ball. lol.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again everyone.

Myah we are taking him in for an Xray just to be safe. It's very strange though, he runs and plays and is a really happy dog most of the time, he is only unruly a small amount of time and its when he wants to play and i just want to relax on the couch. eating normally as well.

he eats royal canin GSD puppy formula twice a day, 2 cups in the morning and 3 cups at night with a tablespoon of nonfat yogurt in it.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha kydreyer

LOVE IT!

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So funny. We're at 8 months and the little stinker is STILL as rebellious as ever. He has such great command recall when he wants to, but when he doesn't want to do something oh boy you don't even exist. LOL. The fun continues.

·
Registered
283 Posts
When I read this I thought you wee talking about Emma, Her big thing is not comming in from the yard. Need to find a good second level obedience class.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Don't feel bad. Sasha is 16 months and going through it. It started at 10 months and has progressed. I know in the end it will all be worth it, but I know how you feel and how frustrated he can make you. How about incorporating some commands in your ball game. Sit down stand, stay. Or even have him in a stay command throw it and then release him and tell him go find him. I do this at home sometimes with her toys but it tends to make her hyper.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
179 Posts
LOL Lincoln fetch just like that. I change from ball to frisbies instead so its easier to grab it from him. We tried to use "leave it" command but when it comes to balls, it never works like ever. He is in the teenage phase as well and doing almost everything OP mentioned. We correct him as we go but yeah I totally feel ya. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts