German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Officer Brian Carter was verbally correcting K9 Benzi's behavior with verbal commands when the dog attacked Officer Carter. Carter suffered serious bites to his arms before firing on the dog.

Carter was taken to Grant Medical Center in stable condition where he underwent surgery.

K9 Benzi was taken to MedVet where he was humanely euthanized.

Officer Carter has been in CPD's k9 unit since 2008. Benzi is his second K9 partner. Benzi was a 3.5 year old Belgian Malinois. He was with the department for two years.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/cpd-officer-forced-to-shoot-k9-partner-after-being-attacked/1411875671

·
Registered
992 Posts
That is so sad. Makes me wonder what really happened and what the backstory is, if there is one.

Aly

·
Registered
316 Posts
I feel like some of the story is missing. Seems very odd for a working dog to do this over something as simple as verbal correction. I think the officer may be withholding something.

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
This is tragic and a terrible situation.

I suggest that anyone commenting on this thread to not speculate on what happened or jump to any conclusions. Let's offer condolences to the Officer and the K-9. Anything more is in very poor taste. I'm sure it was a very difficult decision and one I would never want to have to make.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
I feel like some of the story is missing. Seems very odd for a working dog to do this over something as simple as verbal correction. I think the officer may be withholding something.
Just as a general statement, not in specific to this dog or this incident, but you'd be surprised how your tone and attitude can be perceived in some situations. You'd understand why there's times you have to correct without emotion.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
What a horrible situation to have happen. Hope the officer can heal quickly and completely. Rip K9 Benzi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts