German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was having a great walk in the park today with my 2 dogs.. one of the challenges I face with them is when we see another dog. I do whatever I can do walk far around other dogs, and usually if I see a dog off leash I will yell to that person to please leash up their dog.

Anyways we are heading back to the car when I hear a lady yelling "dolly come!" and when I turn I see a yellow lab running up to us, paying 0 attention to her owner. Rarely experiencing this before, I thought if I let my dogs go forward (on lead) then their barking/snarling will stop the other dog in its tracks before it got too close.. and it did! But by this point my dogs are REALLY going mad, and the lab ran off (still away from its owner, who was carrying a leash.. as she ran after the dog). So my dogs are totally zeroed in on this lab, and I am trying to break them of their fixation by making them sit facing away from the dog and not letting them turn to fixate- they were wearing gentle leaders so that part was relatively easy, still it took many pulls to get them settled in.

We stayed in that spot, layed down for about a minute, then had again a very nice walk on the way back to the car.

The vent part is, what the heck are people doing putting their dogs, my dogs, me, them, and anyone else who might get injured, at risk by taking the chance of letting their dog completely off leash in a super high distraction environment like a park with other dogs!! Thankfully though, I reminded myself after I calmed down that this was a very rare occurrence for us, usually we just see dogs on leash as they should be.

So, what would (or do) you do if your dog (or especially dogs) are rushed up to by an out of control unleashed dog? If they react to the other dog, do you stay there and make them settle, or do you walk away, or pepper spray the rushing dog?

It has been relieving to put my thoughts down here.. it was a small hassle in the scheme of things and only affected a few minutes of our nice walk, but I'd like to know how I might handle this rare situation better in the future..

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I normally carry pepper spray everywhere I go when I am alone, so I have gotten int he habit when I walk Cullen and/or Gizmo. Though, Gizmo would probobly demolish another dog, that isn't the point. I have worried though, because I have seen many comments elsewhere about dogs getting more irritated once sprayed with it.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
"Pepper spray" (OC/CS) doesn't work nearly as well on most dogs as many people think it does. On many dogs, it does absolutely nothing. If you get the stream spray, you likely won't be able to get it out, aim it, and actually get it into the dogs eyes while controlling yours. It's not nearly as easy as it sounds. If you get the fog spray, you run an extremely high risk of spraying yourself and your dogs (you will be the one feeling the effects). With either one, backspray is a major problem (more with the fogger).

The last large charging dog that came up to me a few years ago got kicked, and the end of the leather leash got smacked across his face quite harshly when the kick didn't produce an immediate effect. He yelped and ran off.

My biggest focus with my dogs is that they obey me, regardless of what's going on around them (loose dogs, etc). You can not, as a basic rule, control what other people do with their animals (IE: telling them to leash them when you are walking in the same area). However, you can control how your dogs behave when a loose dog charges you. I expect mine to remain under control so I can deal with whatever situation has presented itself. You may find that, for you, letting yours out to the end of the lead to behave aggressively works. But I wouldn't want that dog fight on my hands for any amount of money.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I step in front of Risa (or move her behind me) and keep between her and the oncoming dog. She's dog reactive so being rushed really ticks me off. I work really hard to make her feel safe around other dogs and being approached by another dog like that, even if it's friendly, really upsets her. I usually assess the dog and will often tell it "GO ON! GET!" which usually works. Fortunately, most of the dogs that we encounter this way are friendly. But we have run across a couple not-so-friendly ones too. I use the same approach. I rarely talk to the owner--I just address the dog and try and keep Risa safe.

I hate when our outings are ruined by other people. :(

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I think it would have been much better to shorten up on their leashes to keep their heads by my legs, then when the other dog got close enough, kick it in the nose. I need to remind myself of that so I remember how to react in this situation.. luckily it's so rare.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DancingCavy-- one of my dogs is reactive too, and when we're together, that makes the other one reactive, so it does tick me off when an owner let's their dog offleash without the requisite control. Though, it did not ruin the whole walk.. when we got up from where we'd settled, they were walking great, heeling at my side just like before, not pulling or doing anything else bad that would indicate they were still wound up-- so I'm thinking it didn't affect the walk too bad for any of us, despite the loud display.

I just need to remember what to do next time! :)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
So, what would (or do) you do if your dog (or especially dogs) are rushed up to by an out of control unleashed dog? If they react to the other dog, do you stay there and make them settle, or do you walk away, or pepper spray the rushing dog?
I dojust what you did the few times this has happened. Benny loves to play with other dogs so if they run up to him in a friendly manner he wants to play, but if an aggressive dog runs towards us Benny will react very agressively. I am always scanning the trail where we walk for loose, potentially aggressive dogs and the one time we did encounter one, Benny's lunging and growling (and my quick prayer) caused the dog to back off. I then tried to distance Benny, making him look away from the dog until he calmed down and the owner got him. The owner apologized and said the dog had gotten out. These things happen.

I think another problem is that people who have non aggressive dogs think that because their dog is friendly they can let it off leash. These type of owners often don't put much time traiining their dogs either. They truly don't know, or think of the potential danger they can put their dogs and others in.

Sometimes I think people should be forced to take a class, pass a test before being allowed to own a dog.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I usually just give Bianca as much slack in the leash as possible and keep moving. I know if I tighten up on the leash she will tense up and may react towards the other dog, but in general she does not react when a dog comes up to her off leash (if the other dog is on leash that's a different story!)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I guess I would be weary of using some of the methods describes here such as "kicking the other dog", "hitting it with a leash", or "spraying pepper spray".

Let's just suppose you accidentally lost control of your dog for a split second...it's happened to everyone before...it just is bound to happen no matter how good an owner you are. And now lets suppose your dog ran up to another dog with its owner for that short time...also could possibly happen.

Would you want your dog kicked, hit with a leash, or pepper sprayed?

I agree with people that use/try to use methods of diverting attention or training their dogs to deal with the problem rather than resorting to other methods. While its true, there are stupid people out there there is also the possibility of a it being a true accident or mistake and overreacting may not be the way to go.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We were attacked by a loose rottweiller once, it was terrifying. The dog was after me but my dog was bitten, we had a $200. vet bill, and my dog was on antibiotics for 2 weeks. (I took the owner to small claims court and won. He also paid a fine for his loose dog.) I will never let this happen again. I carry pepper spray, and if I have to scream, kick, hit with a leash or carry a hammer, my girl will not be a victim again. I could have had the best trained dog, but that wouldn't have helped in this case.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I guess I would be weary of using some of the methods describes here such as "kicking the other dog", "hitting it with a leash", or "spraying pepper spray".

Let's just suppose you accidentally lost control of your dog for a split second...it's happened to everyone before...it just is bound to happen no matter how good an owner you are. And now lets suppose your dog ran up to another dog with its owner for that short time...also could possibly happen.

Would you want your dog kicked, hit with a leash, or pepper sprayed?

I agree with people that use/try to use methods of diverting attention or training their dogs to deal with the problem rather than resorting to other methods. While its true, there are stupid people out there there is also the possibility of a it being a true accident or mistake and overreacting may not be the way to go.
If my dog was aggressively approaching the other owner and dog? I would not have a problem with it. A kick, a smack with a leash to get him to back off, even pepper spray are not life threatening.

Even if he is off-leash, though, I can call Rayden off of whatever he is running towards.
A dog has to be very close for pepper spray to be effective. Same goes for a kick or a leash smack. That means, the dog kept coming despite my yelling and waving my arms and doing whatever I could to try to make it go away. 99% of dogs will run the other way with a simple yell. So, no, I don't think I'm over-reacting to take more confrontational measures on the 1% that don't back off.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We were attacked by a loose rottweiller once, it was terrifying. The dog was after me but my dog was bitten, we had a $200. vet bill, and my dog was on antibiotics for 2 weeks. (I took the owner to small claims court and won. He also paid a fine for his loose dog.) I will never let this happen again. I carry pepper spray, and if I have to scream, kick, hit with a leash or carry a hammer, my girl will not be a victim again. I could have had the best trained dog, but that wouldn't have helped in this case.
Man...that's a bummer that happened. That was definitely a case where the other dog was aggressive.

Had your dog run up to the Rott though after a momentary lapse on your part would you have been okay with the other owner kicking and pepper spraying her even though she was just running up to play. I mean, it was your mistake, not the dogs right? Hypothetically speaking of course...

Remember, I know good owners don't let their dogs off leashes in public, but just supposing she slipped out of your hand for a second.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm being argumentative, I'm just wondering what certain people's response would be to this. I sure as **** know I wouldn't want anybody overreacting and doing these things to my dog.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If my dog was aggressively approaching the other owner and dog? I would not have a problem with it. A kick, a smack with a leash to get him to back off, even pepper spray are not life threatening.
I appreciate your honesty that you agree it would be okay to hit/pepper spray your dog. Many people (me included) wouldn't be so understanding. I agree it may not cause permanent harm...it would be very hard to watch though.

"Aggressively approaching" is open to subjective opinion as well. Some people may not be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
yes, but there is also the matter that if the other dog approaches Rayden, Rayden will attack him. He doesn't like other dogs, for the most parts. So, which is better/worse? a dog fight? or me smacking the dog with the leash.

Again, most dogs in a playful mood will turn the other way if you wave your arms and yell at them. Only the few that continue approaching are a problem.

·
Registered
229 Posts
yes, but there is also the matter that if the other dog approaches Rayden, Rayden will attack him. He doesn't like other dogs, for the most parts. So, which is better/worse? a dog fight? or me smacking the dog with the leash.

Again, most dogs in a playful mood will turn the other way if you wave your arms and yell at them. Only the few that continue approaching are a problem.
Smacking with a leash would be better than a dog fight. I guess if you were certain a dog fight was about to ensue then that is a better alternative.

I witnessed my mailman kick the crap out of a neighbor dog who was running up to play when I was a kid once. Horrible memory and a definite overreaction. I guess I'm picturing the whole incident in this manner. A person walking with their dog, another dog runs up to play, then the owner kicks the other dog and pepper sprays it.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
milkmoney, I don't know anyone here who has said that they just kick the dog. Most people have said the put their dog in a sit/down. Get between their dog and the approaching dog. and usually yell, wave, whatever to scare it off. A dog has to be on top of you before it can be hit or kicked.
Also, a lot of people have said before that their dog doesn't LIKE other dogs, no matter how friendly. Even if it's just looking for fun, it would end in a serious fight.

Sadly, that is how Rayden got to the point where he doesn't like other dogs. People who believe that their dog "just wants to play" and then bites him. He's been attacked more times that I can count as a puppy. So, yes, my attitude has become more hostile.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The last large charging dog that came up to me a few years ago got kicked, and the end of the leather leash got smacked across his face quite harshly when the kick didn't produce an immediate effect.
milkmoney, I don't know anyone here who has said that they just kick the dog.
I guess I was mainly thinking of this one quote when I posed my question.

Had I had experiences like you have, I would probably view things differently...as you do.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did try the yelling thing ("GET OUT OF HERE!!") when the dog was approaching, didn't affect the dog at all, though I suppose arguments could be made that I wasn't projecting strongest energy at the time :|

If my dog were to slip out of my hand and run up to another dog, yes it would be tough to see it kicked or pepper sprayed, but I would have no one to blame but myself. Sure a lot of owners will claim that the kicker/pepper sprayer over reacted, but we can't go around concerning ourselves with what they care to think -- at the end of the day, no harm was done and they received a lesson to hold on to their leash.

Another idea came to mind, which is to carry something to throw at wildly approaching dogs. Of course it would be difficult or impossible to do with a dog in each hand, but if someone was carrying a choker chain in their pocket, they could hold their dog in one hand, wait for the other dog to get within 5 feet then chuck the choker chain at the dog which I'd think should break the other dog of it's obsessive desire to continue approaching.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I am experiencing problems with my dog and she will react to some dogs, not all, but always the ones that come up snarling, barking and growling. I'm working on getting her into a calm state to avoid a reaction from her.

I would have worked my hardest not to let her react in the situtation that you were in. That said, I only have one dog and it is way easier said than done. I can't remember the details of your post, but if I were by my car I would have put them in the vehicle to avoid them reacting.

Last week while on a trail an owner had two off leash cocker spaniels coming up behind us. One of the spaniels ran a fair distance from the owner and was growling and barking. I felt Daktoa would have reacted to that so I stopped (husband had Dakota), held up my hand and yelled stop - back to the dog. The dog still came towards up, and my next move was going to move towards the dog telling it to get, but the owner finally clued in and called her dog and leashed them.

I can tell you by the look on her face when she passed that she did not like me telling her dog to stop and go back. As she passed I told her that we are working on issues and her dog coming up barking like that was a situtation I was looking to avoid.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
When I walk my GSD I always carry a squeeky toy (he is young and loves them) as well as a walking stick. The squeeker is small enough to fit in my pocket. If Hondo gets to where I think I'm losing his attention (running dog / cat / squirrel) I'll give it a little squeek and he'll focus back on me. If a dog is coming at us aggressively - I won't hesitate to keep us seperated by use of the cane. Normally a good poke will send them off. If the other dog is just excited, then I can be vocal enough to send them away.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts