German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last two years, I've taken my dogs to the local military base, where there are miles of paved trails through the woods. I always call my dogs to me and put them on leash if another person or dog approaches, but tonight, I got blindsided.

I was almost at the end of my walk, and decided to sit down for a few minutes on a tree trunk, and enjoy the sounds of nature around me. I threw a stick for my dogs, but basically, the three of us were just chilling, with my older dog chewing on a stick a few feet away from me.

Suddenly, I thought Eska had pounced playfully on Star. I quickly realized there was nothing playful about the pounce, and the dog wasn't Eska, but a strange black female wearing a halti! Star was caught totally off guard, and soon the other dog had her pinned and was fiercely worrying her neck and head.

I jumped to my feet, grabbed a handy tree branch, and started beating the other dog over the head and back. At this point, I heard someone shout, and the owner quickly showed up, and between him yelling at his dog, and me pounding it, we got them separated.

Eska fortunately, hadn't gotten involved, and I soon got her back on leash, but Star was too scared to come to me. It didn't help that the stranger and his dog were following behind me, wanting to make sure Star was okay. I finally managed to lure her to me with some treats, and checked her over. Thanks to the recent unseasonably cold weather, she still has most of her winter coat, and all I could find were some wet spots on her fur, and a bloody tooth scratch inside one ear.

I asked him if his dog had ever done anything like this before, and he said only with small dogs. He said she's had a problem with them ever since she was attacked by one when she was younger. Well, that really doesn't explain why she would go after my 70 lb., 25" tall GSD female! I think he was not being honest or realistic about his dog's behaviour. The attack came totally out of the blue, was lightning fast and neither I nor my dogs were aware of the other dog's presence until it was right on top of us.

We went our separate ways soon after. I am going to put my feet up, watch N.C.I.S. and hope my heart rate soon returns to normal. And I'm going to be a LOT more cautious when walking my dogs at the army base in the future!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hopefully you got contact info from that owner! You may not have noticed any injuries on your dog now, but you may find some later down the road. It's very unfortunate that this happened, but it really wasn't your fault. The only advice I could give is CONSTANT VIGILANCE. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
Dog aggressive dogs are a big hazard and most people just don't understand what is on the end of their leash....

Hope Star is ok.....so glad Eska did not get hurt....hopefully the guy will have learned something

Lee

Reactions: MineAreWorkingline

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
What a miserable experience for all especially Star. I can't imagine her fear being on the bottom while the aggressor is on top being beaten by sticks. That picture had to look like everyone was attacking her even though you were doing it to stop the attack.

I'm glad nothing worse than a grazed ear and hopefully a bit of loving will remedy any remnants of the fear she felt.

Won't comment about the other guy, his choice to allow off leash and his lame explanation. We've been attacked in the woods once by an off leash dog. The couples apology with the explanation "we didn't know, it's our sons dog that he recently got from a rescue".

I will say I'm impressed with two full years worth of walks in the woods free of mishaps until now.

Yup a good show with the feet up snugged in a comfy couch with all three of you together does wonders.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neither of us had any way of taking the other person's contact info. I recently lost my cell phone, and I never bothered to ask if he had one with him. He kept wanting to get his dog (a black female GSD, just like Eska, except for a small white spot on her chest) close to my dogs, and I was having none of it and just wanted to get AWAY from there. He insisted his dog would be okay with mine now that all 3 dogs were leashed. Poor Star was so freaked out that I wasn't going to let them any closer than 6 feet. It wasn't fair to her!

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I'm just so sorry. Hope Star is OK - and you too. Hope you enjoyed NCIS, even though it was reruns tonight. Only two more 'Abby' episodes. SIGH!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made do with some ST: Enterprise episodes I'd recorded. I had to stop recording them after I got up to 60 episodes! :D

Dogs are settled for the night, and everyone seems fine.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
That sounds nuts! Glad Eska stayed out it or it could have been a much bigger mess. I hope Star has no lasting effects.

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
Yikes, I hope the next few walks on those trails are peaceful. I'd hate to see your dog leery going for walks. Someone who's own dog is now freaked out from being attacked by another dog really ought to know better. Guess the head halter didn't give him as much control as he thought it would.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Incredible that this jack*ss who knew his dog had attacked smaller dogs..had his dog off leash....I'm glad to hear Star is OK....the really sad thing here IMO is that many times situations like yours can cause the animal who was attacked to become "dog aggressive" themselves....hopefully not in Stars case....sorry you and your dog went through this mess

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
For the last two years, I've taken my dogs to the local military base, where there are miles of paved trails through the woods. I always call my dogs to me and put them on leash if another person or dog approaches, but tonight, I got blindsided.

I was almost at the end of my walk, and decided to sit down for a few minutes on a tree trunk, and enjoy the sounds of nature around me. I threw a stick for my dogs, but basically, the three of us were just chilling, with my older dog chewing on a stick a few feet away from me.

Suddenly, I thought Eska had pounced playfully on Star. I quickly realized there was nothing playful about the pounce, and the dog wasn't Eska, but a strange black female wearing a halti! Star was caught totally off guard, and soon the other dog had her pinned and was fiercely worrying her neck and head.

I jumped to my feet, grabbed a handy tree branch, and started beating the other dog over the head and back. At this point, I heard someone shout, and the owner quickly showed up, and between him yelling at his dog, and me pounding it, we got them separated.

Eska fortunately, hadn't gotten involved, and I soon got her back on leash, but Star was too scared to come to me. It didn't help that the stranger and his dog were following behind me, wanting to make sure Star was okay. I finally managed to lure her to me with some treats, and checked her over. Thanks to the recent unseasonably cold weather, she still has most of her winter coat, and all I could find were some wet spots on her fur, and a bloody tooth scratch inside one ear.

I asked him if his dog had ever done anything like this before, and he said only with small dogs. He said she's had a problem with them ever since she was attacked by one when she was younger. Well, that really doesn't explain why she would go after my 70 lb., 25" tall GSD female! I think he was not being honest or realistic about his dog's behaviour. The attack came totally out of the blue, was lightning fast and neither I nor my dogs were aware of the other dog's presence until it was right on top of us.

We went our separate ways soon after. I am going to put my feet up, watch N.C.I.S. and hope my heart rate soon returns to normal. And I'm going to be a LOT more cautious when walking my dogs at the army base in the future!
People suck. I am so sorry this happened to Star. It was off leash, aggressive dogs that ruined Shadow and I hate that people are so irresponsible with their dogs.
I hope you both recover from this. And I like NCIS as well, thinking I am going to miss it while living in my temp home in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Same thing happened to kona. I was so mad! The owners did absolutely nothing but kept walking like nothing happened. I had to chase them down, and there excuse was that there dog didn’t like german shepherds

Luckily it did not effect her at all

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
There is no excuse for a dangerous dog to be off leash. I am upset this happened to your dog. That is an irresponsible owner. It’s OK for his dog to go after smaller breeds?
That was my thought, too: He has his dog off leash knowing this about said dog. So clearly he's okay with his dog attacking smaller ones? That makes no sense to me. If I had that dog, I'd be paranoid about EVER letting it off leash in case it hurt someone else's pet or started a fight it couldn't finish. No way.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
That was my thought, too: He has his dog off leash knowing this about said dog. So clearly he's okay with his dog attacking smaller ones? That makes no sense to me. If I had that dog, I'd be paranoid about EVER letting it off leash in case it hurt someone else's pet or started a fight it couldn't finish. No way.
It’s also telling that he kept following Sunsilver. He knew he was wrong and was trying too hard to justify it.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
He probably thought his dog had a solid recall, thinking if he did see a small dog he could leash it up before anything happened? Maybe didn't take that last step since it was a large breed dog, thinking his dog would be fine.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
He probably thought his dog had a solid recall, thinking if he did see a small dog he could leash it up before anything happened? Maybe didn't take that last step since it was a large breed dog, thinking his dog would be fine.
They're always solid until they're not, is the thing. If I knew my dog had an issue with other dogs, I'd be thinking about that contingency, even if I truly believed it was an outside chance. It might suck for my dog, might even be unfair to my dog, but it keeps everybody safe.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts