German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Luna is 9 months going thru her first heat as well as can be excepted. We have continued training but at a slower pace. I am working on tracking and heeling while moving because I am new it is a slow process. At 12 months I am going to do OFA prelims for hips and elbows. However would it just be smart to do SV or no just do OFA prelims and take the next 12 months for titles and what not? Then do full OFA. I personally feel that is better for me because training is slow because of my novicness. I did find a IPO technically two clubs that are close, I also found a trainer who has some impressive experience Ivan Balabomov is his name. He is located in plant city and so is one of the clubs the other club is located very near where I live. I do plan on breeding Luna but not without titles, no titles no breeding I have made that decision much to the dislike of a freind who wants to breed her stud who is IPO now and should be IPO 3 by the time Luna is 24 months, she loves Luna's personality and her overall appearance as well as her nose drive, also my mom and dad wanted a puppy from her as well they are not happy. I figure if Luna can not get titles then she isnt a betterment to the breed and I do not need to add to the bad genes going around. I ideally would like to get a TD in 2019, actually it is my sole goal with her for 2019. Is SV more accurate than OFA? I know SV does more GSD then OFA but does it matter? Luna has already been cleared of DM by breeder so I would also like to do a eye exam but not sure if it is really needed I and leaning it is for peace of mind. I also forgot a cardiac report.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not plan on doing that no. AKC would be where I would register if I did breed.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To make sure I'm not wasting time or money on training and titles. If she fails then no breeding of course, also no need 4 advance training or titles. Also it takes no time 2 do them.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
If you title and koer the dog, you need the elbows certified by the SV - they close by a year.

I do my dogs at 12-15 months, send to OFA as prelims as it is relatively inexpensive, then submit to the SV....that way I know what I have for working them and don't have to spend the money to redo at 2 as teh GSD world accepts SV hip ratings.

Lee

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
To make sure I'm not wasting time or money on training and titles. If she fails then no breeding of course, also no need 4 advance training or titles. Also it takes no time 2 do them.
What happens then, with a dog that doesn't pass?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What happens then, with a dog that doesn't pass?
she still will be my girl, just no breeding or advance training. I will still do stuff but will not spend a lot of money on training or titles. I can not give her if she fails I am far to attached to her don't worry about that LOL.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you title and koer the dog, you need the elbows certified by the SV - they close by a year.

I do my dogs at 12-15 months, send to OFA as prelims as it is relatively inexpensive, then submit to the SV....that way I know what I have for working them and don't have to spend the money to redo at 2 as teh GSD world accepts SV hip ratings.

Lee
What is koer? I had thought of doing the same thing you just said however I am not sure what is the best way.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
she still will be my girl, just no breeding or advance training. I will still do stuff but will not spend a lot of money on training or titles. I can not give her if she fails I am far to attached to her don't worry about that LOL.
Thanks for clarifying. It was really an honest question for me, because I don't now, nor have I ever, competed in any kind of competitive dog sport. It's a whole different perspective for me...

I recently did a CGC test with my dog, and honestly, I thought what a scam! I've never owned a dog that couldn't have passed that test...so to me it seemed pointless and "all about the money". Glad to hear your dog will continue to be loved whether she passes the hip and elbow screening or not!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O ya, I have a golden retriever who we found out had HD at 5 months old. I had a contract that started I could get a refund or the pick of another litter but we would have to give her back. Me and my wife where too attached so we kept her did a TPO and got the breeder to give us 1100 towards the surgery instead of me given her back which would never had happened. Luna is my girl she isnt going anywhere.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. It was really an honest question for me, because I don't now, nor have I ever, competed in any kind of competitive dog sport. It's a whole different perspective for me...

I recently did a CGC test with my dog, and honestly, I thought what a scam! I've never owned a dog that couldn't have passed that test...so to me it seemed pointless and "all about the money". Glad to hear your dog will continue to be loved whether she passes the hip and elbow screening or not!
Sorry - a bit off topic - but felt I could offer another perspective to the above comments!!

I have seen many many many dogs who could not pass a CGC which is a basic manners and temperament test. For many breeds, this certificate means home owners insurance will allow the owner to have a "questionable" breed. It is also a stepping stone to many pet owners to get involved with training their pets and moving on to Rally, Agility or Obedience....barn hunt, nose work and a social stream for older people with time on their hands....it serves many many good purposes!

Lee

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
What is koer? I had thought of doing the same thing you just said however I am not sure what is the best way.
The koer is shown as "KKL" after a dogs name.....in Germany....you must do this either prior to or after breeding a litter (6 mo) in order to register offspring from the dog. No KKL - no papers.

The dog must accumulate a list of credentials - hip, elbow ratings (passing), an AD (12 mile endurance test - HGH dogs exempt), a show conformation rating of G (Good) or higher and a working title - IPO (or whatever they are calling it!!), HGH (Herding) and I think the RH is now included (SAR certification). At the koer, the dog must do 2 exercises of man work and be inspected for gun sureness and structure, measured and weighed, and all aspects from teeth to tail evaluated in writing.

In Germany these are held quite often in each OG or region, as are trials to obtain titles. Here, with 5000/6000 people in the breed over the whole US, someone is lucky to have 1 in two years that they can get to. I managed to koer my HGH female this summer after breeding a couple of litters - as AKC does not require anything at all.....I did it as I try to honor the system, and respect the system. Even after the fact, with titled and credentialed progeny to her credit, I still wanted that KKL on the female to validate her progeny for the next generation.

Lee

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have looked at KKL but I am not trying to put the cart before the horse. I want good hips, and titles before I think about KKL. I knew of KKL but did not know it was called koer. My goals are small and simple. 2019 get a tracking title TD and maybe a BH, anything else is bonus for me. I did just find out that a SV trial will he very near to me and was thinking of putting her in the 9 to 12 month class for some experience.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
While the hips and elbows are important, training your dog for a title will give you important information as to whether she is breed worthy, so to me, it is not just the dog has good hips and a title, it is does the dog have the drives and nerves that should be passed on to improve the breed.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While the hips and elbows are important, training your dog for a title will give you important information as to whether she is breed worthy, so to me, it is not just the dog has good hips and a title, it is does the dog have the drives and nerves that should be passed on to improve the breed.
I 100% agree however if she has bad hips I do not want her to be in pain.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
The Koer is also known as the breed survey. It requires a conformation rating of at least G, hip/elbow ratings, the AD and a recognized working title. You have some time before having to worry about it. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Koer is also known as the breed survey. It requires a conformation rating of at least G, hip/elbow ratings, the AD and a recognized working title. You have some time before having to worry about it. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Ya I am not worried about any of that right now. Hips, elbows and titles are all i am worring about right now.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
You can get the conformation now if you want to get that out of the way (once you have the hips and elbows done to make sure it is worth the hassle). Once he his 2 he has to be titled to receive a rating that counts.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The Koer is also known as the breed survey. It requires a conformation rating of at least G, hip/elbow ratings, the AD and a recognized working title. You have some time before having to worry about it. :)
And now there is a new behavioral; test they have to pass for breed survey, I hear. It will apply to all dogs born post 7/17. They have to walk on tables (something about height and stability), be ok separated from handler, etc. It must be performed during an age range which I am not sure but I believe is like 9 to 18 months.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts