German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,505 Posts
For one dog?

Heck no.... I paid about $400 for hips and elbows last year, including sedation. Another office near here that does everything without sedation, high volume place, quoted me $220 - $300.

There's an OFA Results group on Facebook where you can ask for referrals in your area. You do want the films done by someone who is used to doing them! Unless it's changed from last year, if you submit digitally, OFA requires them to come directly from the vet's office - you cannot send from your own private email. So make sure your office knows what to print on the film, how to fill out the form, etc, if they do not regularly do these.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you all for answer my question. I called a few vets that are about 30mins to a hour away and one was 350 with sedation if needed and the other 2 were 400. So I call my vet back and asked why she charges that much. Her answer was because its alot of work. So I guess it time to get a vet that cares about the health of my dogs. Instead of one who thinks it's to much work.

·
Super Moderator
7,045 Posts
So I call my vet back and asked why she charges that much. Her answer was because its alot of work. So I guess it time to get a vet that cares about the health of my dogs. Instead of one who thinks it's to much work.
...but that’s just it, it isn’t! i had my dogs done by a mobile vet - that was his specialty and he traveled to dog shows and sports events. my neighbor was his tech, so i got my pups done for free, i swear it took 15 minutes. the kennel were i work now does exams, vax, bloodwork, sedation, ear flushes and xrays for up to 25 dogs in a few hours.

anyway, i’m glad to see you found some place more reasonable. when i inquired at the mobile vet a few years later for a different dog, at his main office they quoted me around $250 (2013)

·
Registered
31,384 Posts
that is such a weird answer. The vet's whole process is weird. Over night, general anesthesia..maybe it's a lot of work because they don't know how to do it. Seger was knocked out, had xrays taken and was back in my lap in 15 minutes with another shot to bring him back out of it. the paperwork took longer than the xrays.

·
Registered
867 Posts
It was 30+ years ago when I had two dogs done---both were under $300 for everything as I remember--back then I thought that was very pricey LOL

OP.... you've had some great suggestions so far...things worth trying...there's such a HUGE difference in what you were quoted and other members see as the norm....it still sounds like communication to me--like they don't understand what you're asking for or they flat don't have a clue what they're doing.......

I say this because I'm retired and have the time.....I'd call some offices far enough away that I know I wouldn't actually make the drive...but.....get some more quotes and if they're all in the same ball park as your first three.....I'd ask each and every one what exactly they do for that amount of money....who knows... you may run into some that will take the time and actually explain in detail....you know try the old ..."you get more flies with honey" theory when you talk to them....

21 - 26 of 26 Posts