German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31,360 Posts
wHAT????!!!! NO!!! It should not be more than $500 for xrays and OFA filing fees are next to nothing. You can find their application with fees right on their website. Go to the IPO or German Shepherd Breeders facebook pages and ask for vets.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
No no no !! I’m in the OKC metro and I paid less than $400 for xrays and the OFA fee. Are you near Tulsa? Everyone is on their way back from the GSD specialty Claremore today, but when they get back I can see if someone recommends a vet up your way to do the xrays.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We were all set to get our OFAs done when Trickster was in for a limp then the vet decided he wasn't qualified and called around for "one of the few clinics in the area" that can do it. This struck me as odd as the OFA site says there is no qualification needed. Turns out he thought we were wanting a Penn hip exam, and that does require more positions during x-rays and therefore more money and a vet qualified to do it. I shelved it for now and will resume calling around myself for a vet who can do OFAs confidently.

·
Registered
31,360 Posts
There isn't any qualification but you do want a vet that does them regularly so you get good xrays. I've seen OFA quality xrays and WHAT the WHAT are those quality xrays come out of my vet office depending on which vet is in charge.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Jeez I'd say someone at the front desk didn't understand what you were asking for....but 3 different vets $1700 range ??....makes me curious what the average office visit costs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My vet appt checkups are $60 which is ok. But I thought I heard wrong on the price from my vet until I called the others on OFA x-rays. Plus it stuck me wrong when I asked about getting prelims for my female just to see where she is at and the vet looked at me weird and said she had never heard of anyone wanting prelims done. I dont mine driving or paying what I need to to get them done but just want to fine someone who will do them right. Plus that is alot of money when I have 4 that will need to be x-rayed in the next 6months to a yr. All the advice i can get is very helpful and i thank all of you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope I only had 2 german shepherds when I asked. I asked if they did OFA's she then said yes once they are 2 years of age(which i know for the official ones they had to be at least 2). 1500 for the anesthesia they hold them for one night and 200 for the x-rays themselves per dog. My mouth about hit the floor.That's when I asked about prelims. Then after the appt i asked the lady at the desk what the prices were she told me the same. My husband about freaked.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
Wow that’s crazy! I’ve never heard of keeping a dog overnight for OFAs. And $1500 for anesthesia??? Good grief. I’ll really try to see if I can get a recommendation for you up near Tulsa.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
I’ve had several people recommend Dr. Patton at the Advanced Care Veterinary Hospital in Sapulpa. I can see if I can find another recommendation up in the corner of the state too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts