German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday I enetered Odin in a rally trial (a first for both of us) he did really good. I feel so lucky to have a dog that really gives me 110% on all the different sports that I do with him! I think I like rally, formal obedience is just too boring for me. I need stuff that is always changing to keep me interested, so I think rally is a nice fit. Anyways here is his video from the his afternoon run.

Odin Rally - YouTube

(Oh ya he totally stuck his nose right up my butt on the last exercise lol, nothin relieves trial nerves quite like a nose up your butt:))

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I was super happy with his focus:) especially since I can count on one hand how many times I have worked on obedience in the last 6 months lol. Odin pretty consistently blows away my expectations. He is such a cool dog, I am so lucky to have him:) I actually teared up on my way home from the trial thinking about how much I love him and how close we have become.

I can't figure out how to get my videos to work on mobile:(

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Really nice! Love his enthusiasm. Was that AKC or APDT?

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
You both did great! He was up 'happy' throughout the whole routine because he felt it coming from you!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was CARO, which I *think* is a Canadian organization. There is an APDT trial in march that I am going to enter Odin and (hopefully) havoc in.

Odin is a super happy worker! I was just concentrating super hard on where I was going, rally is freakin confusing! Our first run was kind of a disaster, I totally missed a whole station lol.

I still laugh when I watch the video because of how hard he goosed me at the end. He almost lifted me right off the ground haha:)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
It was CARO, which I *think* is a Canadian organization. There is an APDT trial in march that I am going to enter Odin and (hopefully) havoc in.
Ah, cool! I just wondered because it looked like the length (amount of signs) of an APDT course but the ring size of an AKC course. When I did rally with my first dog I much preferred APDT. The ring sizes were larger and the courses longer. Better for our longer shaped dogs and the heeling!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, cool! I just wondered because it looked like the length (amount of signs) of an APDT course but the ring size of an AKC course. When I did rally with my first dog I much preferred APDT. The ring sizes were larger and the courses longer. Better for our longer shaped dogs and the heeling!
Everyone I talk to really likes APDT. I was super worried that Odin would take out the whole course with his butt! Plus it sounds like APDT is little more formal obedience focused, wheras CARO has a lot of agility equipment in the excellent level. I just can't see my dogs being able to do 6 weave poles and then settle back into heeling!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
What is APDT?

The new group I'm visiting in Canada for obedience is doing CKC Obedience on top of Schutzhund and I am blown away by how challenging that actually is. One of the ladies (also here on this forum) was training and the dog has to listen to hand signals to do sit,down,stand and then the dog had to do a stand stay in the group and had to endure a full body examination by one of us.

I am absolutely amazed by the difficulty of that.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
APDT is a rally obedience organization, I have no idea what it stands for. The exercises you are referring to are utility level exercises in CKC obedience. Rally is a bit different (CKC also holds rally trials) formal obedience always stays the same and there are 3 different levels, in rally the "course" changes every time and you have different stations where you complete exercises there are also 3 different levels. They are both challenging, just in different ways. Although the novice level of rally is pretty easy and they are quite forgiving as far as precision goes. This is a really crappy explanation but I am super new to rally:)

·
Registered
406 Posts
He's lovely, great to see him so obviously enjoying himself.. How old is he?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks! He will be 4 next week. He is such a fun dog, no matter what I`m doing with him he`s always super happy and works very hard for me:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts