German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on a few new tricks with Odin when I have time. Most of them I teach for balance, core, coordination (except the "bang" trick, that's just cute lol)

Odin tricks July 2013 - YouTube

Next on the list is bow, weaving backwards through my legs, and moving from sit pretty to standing upright and back to sit pretty. I have a few other ideas too but Odin is a pretty busy boy these days :)

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
What a fun way for your Odin to learn balance and coordination!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Wow, he is on like Donkey Kong. His gaze lock on you is intense. He's fit too, strong confident movements that speak to coordination and power. The rolling over thing reminds me of how Banjo would snuggle. He'd flop down next to me on his side making contact along my whole side and then slowly and hydraulically(best word I can think of) roll over onto his back for a belly rub or to fall asleep. He would scoot me over in the process and I'm a healthy 200 pounds. The fact he did it with no seeming effort really drove home how powerful these dogs are.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Awesome! Im new to dogs and was doing obedience and it works (not nearly as animated as Odin) My trainers at shutzhund tell me to not do that. Did you train Odin via shutzhund methods? How old till you did obedience work?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Volcano, I'm not really sure I understand your post. What do you mean by schutzhund methods? I don't know anyone that teaches schutzhund obedience not using food and toys as a teaching tool and reinforcement.

I started obedience with Odin when he was a baby (around 12 weeks) using food to lure and reward simple foundation behaviors. Corrections for precision obedience normally don't come until much later when you are proofing well known behaviors. Teaching competitive obedience behaviors is really no different than teaching tricks.... until later when the expectations are raised and proofing is needed.

@ Brembo and Mary Beth thank you! The coordination and balance has not come easy for Odin! The sit pretty trick I have literally been working on for a year lol. He is very athletic, just took him a while to figure out how to use those core muscles effectively ;)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
That's a nice Sit Pretty! Hard to get that one on a big dog. :)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
His rolling over makes me laugh! He has to throw his whole head over to help get his body around. Too cute, what a clever boy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts