German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our team hosted an awesome flyball tournament this weekend and we put together a really good Division 2 team. We had Odin (GSD) Radical (Mal) Brie (pit x) and Mango (JRT) We were able to smash our team's previous personal best of 17.9 seconds with a 17.276! Not bad for a team with no Border Collies and no sport mixes! Odin ran lots of 4.1's with a pb of 4.112. My main goal for the weekend was to change the way he starts and to get some decent starts. I started the weekend with .3 second starts and was able to do mostly .0's and .1's on Sunday (makes a huge difference to have those good starts!) I did have 3! false starts on the first race Sunday and the other team had 2 making for NINE races for Odin in the first heat. Rough start to the day, but he managed to stay strong and didn't slow down all weekend in spite of intense heat and LOTS of races. So proud of my boy:wub:

Video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uLtR9cwFk8E

·
Super Moderator
32,371 Posts
Wow, how did I miss this? That's fantastic, congrats!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I am so proud of Odin and my team for pulling this off. It's very cool to be part of such an awesome team. I think next tournament we will get down to 16 seconds :) Odin showed so much heart that weekend I am still beaming, he really is the greatest dog in the world!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Nice!!! He's doing awesome! I'm jealous, I wish my team would let Nikon start again.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks:) Now that I have Odin consistently focusing down the lane and not barking at me we are getting some nice starts. I just feel terrible when I get false starts though! After those nine races because of false starts, Odin and the dog starting on the other team went back to the benching area and literally collapsed. I felt awful.

I would like him to be able to run anywhere in the pack but he needs work passing into other dogs. He pretty much comes to a stop, lets the other dog go by and continues on his way. The only dog we have tried passing him into at tournaments though is the large pitt bull mix that was running third, I think they are just both too big to get decent passes between them. We might try passing him into the small mal at the next tournament (unfortunately she doesn't live near us so we can't do it at practice) we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
LOL don't feel terrible! We do them all the time, on purpose even. Our team has no timing or tournament type equipment, so an actual tournament is the first time we are ever practicing starts. Sometimes you false start if your dog needs to think he can win. With Nikon that's not the case (he runs faster getting his butt whooped by the other dog) but I've seen less confident dogs need a false start to really kick into gear.

I'll also have to go back and work passes eventually. Nikon has been passing into the same dog for the past four tournaments so he'll probably need a refresher if our team lineup ever changes. *Any* dog can pass into Nikon, but he needs confidence when passing really tight into other dogs. He ran lead-off for one tournament which gave him awesome times but then they told me I had to deal with the passing and now he's been 3rd or 4th. Slower times, but we can get 0-2 foot passes.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I just saw this! Good job!! I can't run my dog with other dogs yet, she's reactive and I'm hoping I can work her through it. (I start training with someone to work on her issues next week, I'm excited!!)

Here is my girl at practice doing 'hit it's'. She can run with a ball too, but we are working on her form on the box, and she's still trying to get the hang of the ball popping out at her.

Here's her vid: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152071685493327&set=vb.747213326&type=2&theater

I'm really proud of her! She gets so excited she barks at the box. lol :)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Hey- I also missed this: great job! Odin looks awesome (as does that little mali running after him)!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
blackshep your girl looks awesome!!! I hope you can work through your dog issues, she will be a super fast dog if you can:) We have had a few dogs on our team that have had to work through reactivity and chasing. Have you tried slowing down/stopping the trigger and then gradually increasing the speed for her to get the hang of catching the ball? That's what we do with all our dogs, works awesome.

Thanks Wildo! And yes, Radical (the mal) is freaking amazing! (You should see her do disc!) She's probably the most athletic dog I have ever met. That's the mal that I was thinking of getting a puppy out of, but I decided not too. Sometimes I think its a dumb decision but oh well, I get to train with her and watch her run and drool over how amazing she is ;)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Thanks! I don't know about slowing down the ball ejector thinger. lol She can do it, but sometimes it was messing up her turn, she's still figuring it out. She's so cute, she gets so excited. I like her "ARF!!!" at the box as she runs down. lol What a ham. :)

I'm starting some lessons next week to specifically deal with her reactivity, so I'm hoping we can teach her to calm her mind. It's not just that she chases, she gets edgy, so I want to make sure we keep everyone safe

I'm so proud of her though, she's so clever and is up for anything! Just the reactivity, but I'm hoping I can get her though that somehow!

Sorry to the OP for derailing, I was just also proud of my girl. I hope one day we can run in a race like you guys!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully you can get the dog issues sorted out. I was training my dog aggressive GSD in flyball before I found out about all his health issues. They key with him was just keeping him focused on his task. Hes crazy high drive though and would tolerate just about anything for the chance to get a reward. It is tough and nerve racking to work through though. She really does look good! Keep up the good work:) I love watching fast GSDs!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Very nice, blackshep! If you run in U-FLI you can start a dog in Pre-flight which means she can run in a tournament and *you* can control whether she is racing another dog and who she races. It's a good opportunity to work on "issues" (whether it's reactivity, chasing other dogs, chasing loose balls, etc) in a tournament environment but not using up warm-up time to do it (some folks will use warm-up time to run their green dogs a few times).

As for catching the ball, don't worry! Some get it instantly and some take a while. Indy was doing loaded box turns her third time working on turns. Nikon took a few months *after* he already had a box turn to catch the loaded ball, but once he got it he was fine.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
My team runs NAFA unfortunately.

We did try doing it with the ball, she was ok, but when it was loaded as opposed to sitting it on the ledge, she would bobble. So we tried just doing hit-it's with no ball, and she'd jump on the box and get confused, then run behind the box, stick her head in the bucket and get a ball and run back to me. LMAO! She's got the hang of no ball now though!

PS, sorry OP, I didn't mean to steal your well deserved brag thread!

·
Super Moderator
32,371 Posts
Blackshep, she looks great! What we've done with green dogs who are having trouble catching the ball is use a little clip on the thruster to reduce its travel - like this:

Before that step we'll stick a piece of velcro on the hole and put the ball on that, so they're just plucking it off rather than loading it and triggering the box. I had never taught Halo to catch a ball before, so I also worked on tossing one to her outside of flyball so she could learn eye/mouth coordination.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She looks awesome. She is very fast! Have you ever thought of doing agility? Much less crazy environment and she looks like she would excel at it (not saying you should give up on flyball, just something different to try.)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
That was a great video. Those dogs are really flying, especially that little JRT keeping up with the big guys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts